Petition for keeping one Concorde flying

Old February 10th 04, 11:47 AM
B S D Chapman

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 17:09:46 +0000, Steve Firth
wrote:

B S D Chapman mail-at-benchapman-dot-co-dot-uk wrote:

It's one rule for Eupore, another rule for the French...

No, no. The French (WOCAB) have the same rules as everyone else. It's
just that they ignore them.

Damn that's clever.

Why don't we do that?

--

....And so as the little andrex puppy of time scampers onto the busy
dual-carriage way of destiny, and the extra-strong meat vindaloo of fate
Old February 10th 04, 04:50 PM
Ali Hopkins

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
.. .
B S D Chapman mail-at-benchapman-dot-co-dot-uk wrote:

No, no. The French (WOCAB) have the same rules as everyone else. It's
just that they ignore them.

Damn that's clever.

Why don't we do that?

We keep electing stupid politicians.

Isn't that the reverse of an oxymoron, or something like that?

Ali

Old February 10th 04, 05:19 PM
Chris Cowley

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 16:50:17 -0000, "Ali Hopkins"
wrote:

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
. ..

stupid politicians.

Isn't that the reverse of an oxymoron, or something like that?

A tautology.
--
Chris Cowley
Old February 10th 04, 06:12 PM
Ali Hopkins

wrote:

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
. ..

stupid politicians.

Isn't that the reverse of an oxymoron, or something like that?

A tautology.
--

That's the word - I'd driven 400 miles today, and was having a seriously
Blonde Moment.

Ali

Old February 16th 04, 08:43 PM
Andy Mabbett

In message , Ali Hopkins
writes

You aren't in the UK, are you. If you'd seen the public outcry in this
country

I'm in the UK; I saw no such "outcry".

--
Andy Mabbett
"The Internet is a reflection of our society[ ...]. If we do not like what we
Old February 17th 04, 06:38 PM
pacplyer

B S D Chapman mail-at-benchapman-dot-co-dot-uk wrote in message ...
pacplyer wrote:

As well, the lack of a robust wheel-well area that could not allow for
tire fragments at 200mph seems like another pioneering shortfall just
like square windows on a pressurized fuselage. My comments were not
meant to denigrate either spectacular flying machine, just to point
out that these were the first of their kind out of the gate, and that
without good factory/national support the continued operation of a
sole example seems risky at best. (but I too would like to see it fly
again.)

Sorry for missing this earlier...

Common misconception. The square windows were not the point of failure on
the Comet I, they just happened to change the design as a result of
learning more about metal fatigue.

The actual point of failure was around one of the nav arials (VOR I think).

No, the point of fuselage failure was the large picture windows. That
is what brought down the first Comets. It doesn't matter where the
crack starts from. If you've got big square windows with sharp
corners in them on an expanding and contracting surface, you've got a
time bomb ticking. With small round windows (which the 707 by no
small accident adopted) the Comet airframes might have stayed intact.
True, the hole that the avionics aerial was mounted against was the
beginning of the stress crack that ran around to the windows in at
least one Comet I accident, but big cracks happen all the time on big
iron today and the airframes don't just fall out of the sky because a
crack started somewhere. Another example of this is the "stop drill"
hole used a little ahead of the end of a crack (an approved repair
method on some skins.) The round shape will relieve stress and stop
the crack from progressing. Licensed mechanics today know you can't
install a rotating beacon, a nav antenna, or a window for that matter,
without producing a gradual radius in the corners of the hole in the
skin. This becomes more important on pressurized structures.

pacplyer