Stop the noise

Old July 3rd 04, 01:26 PM
Mike Spera

I'm afraid the "airport was here first" defense is worthless. If the
airport was there for 50 years and the first new homeowner started
squawking on day one, the airport is at risk. In many counties, airports
are taxed as farmland, or at some other vastly reduced rate. That same
property with shiny new homes on it usually brings in 5X to 10X or
greater tax dollars. The developers make a fortune, and so do the little
"town fathers" (and their entire families) for approving developments
and looking the other way while various building and zoning codes are
ignored.

The posting below nails it, it is all about the money.

For us common folk, what you are fighting is called "progress" in the
good ole' US. Can't win that fight. The only winning move is to, well...
move! Go to where the development ain't. Put in an airstrip. Wait 20
years for the greedy *******s to get out there. Then, cash in and make a
fortune and move further out.

Simple. No?

Good Luck,
Mike

BillC85 wrote:
I live on a residential airpark. We have a development going in just South
of us. The development is planned for 92 homes on 75 acres.

I'm concerned. We've put up a large sign pointing right at the development
that says "Welcome to the Airpark" and explains how many airplanes are based
here, how may operations per month, 24 hour per day operation, student
activity, etc. in hopes someone might see the sign and elect to go elsewhere
for their shiny new homestead.

A friend of mine who is a county judge by trade says we shouldn't have any
problems because we were here first. I believe he's correct but only up
until their tax base is bigger than our tax base.

Don't **** yourself folks, at the end of the day it's all about the money.

BillC85

"VideoGuy" gkasten at brick dot net wrote in message

"Tom Sixkiller" wrote in message

Doesn't explain the cases (just about every one) where they built homes

near

airports that already existed.

Here's another example of this exact senerio;

A big-time builder has purhased a large hunk of land in the 500 year flood
plain. Dug out small lakes and ponds to make other areas a few inches
higher than this high water mark. Now wants to develop a "New Town"
concept- houses, apartments, condos, retail, etc.

Local city is so busy rubbing their greedy little hands together, already
counting the anticipated taxes that there seems to be NOTHING this builder
wants that he can't have. The CITY-OWNED municipal airport is just across
the street and down the road about a quarter mile. Traffic pattern is now
over this formerly agricultural field. This airport has been here since
before WWII, and has a flight school that has operated continuously, with
the same ownership for almost 25 years.

Now they haven't built even ONE house yet- just a glorified sales office.

called their office and asked the sales person about the "little airport"
that was nearby. He informed me that I shouldn't be concerned, they are
pretty sure they can get it closed in a year or two. It just wasn't as
important to the city as HIS grand, new development!

Maybe he'll have a "plumbing fire" or some other unpleasantry soon. Or...
maybe the Mississippi and Missouri will decide to join again like they did
in '93. The development may be above the 500 year mark, but the roads
around it sure aren't. In '93 they flew all the planes out of this

"little

airport", sandbagged around the airport buildings and waited. Wonder how
well that'll work with a bunch of people who are stuck either inside their
houses, or stuck a mile away from the entrance to their pretty little "New
Town"?

Wanna bet how long it takes before there's complaints about those "little
planes" flying over my new house?

Gary Kasten

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Old July 6th 04, 04:31 PM
John P

You are all Right!!!!!
I lived in Philadelphia a few years ago and there was a "small"
airport on the north side.
The owner tried to get me to hanger there.....no way..... His
grandfather had his pilot certif
signed by one of the Wright Bros. It was an airport that long.
Anyway, he was offered 6.75mil, I believe, for the property to make it into
condos.
Would you sell it? You bet..... Anyway, it's about the money in this
case too....

John N3DR

BillC85 wrote:
[...]

http://www.uncensored-news.com
The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Old July 6th 04, 06:42 PM
Rosspilot

Anyway, he was offered 6.75mil, I believe, for the property to make it into
condos.
Would you sell it? You bet....

That's basically what happened in my home county in 1985 to our ONLY airport.
It was privately owned and the big money people just offered him so much money
he couldn't refuse. It's now a Costco and an office park called (of all
painful ironies)
"Airport Executive Park". Arghhhh!

www.Rosspilot.com

Small plane noise is destroying my life Robert Morien General Aviation 5 December 1st 04 05:01 PM
Stop the noise airads Aerobatics 131 July 2nd 04 01:28 PM
Stop the noise airads General Aviation 88 July 2nd 04 01:28 PM
Aviation Conspiracy: Bush Backs Down On Tower Privatization Issue!!! Bill Mulcahy General Aviation 3 October 1st 03 05:39 AM