A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Impressions of the Colibri II and Nano...

Old April 7th 12, 12:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F2
external usenet poster

Default Impressions of the Colibri II and Nano...

I have been using both of these units now for a few weeks. I used the Nano as a "backup" last year but it was so much easier to access that it immediately became my primary unit. Still having some teething pains with the CII but overall it is a really good as well. Here are some of my notes:

Nano:
1) Solid, simple to operate. Turn it on, or turn it off. Simple to understand LED lights for power, gps fix, logging, bluetooth connected, etc.
2) Automatically starts flight recording on take off roll.
3) Configuration tool is simple and works.
4) Bluetooth feature is very useful for connecting to other instruments or PDA's.
5) *KEY* no need to remove the microSD card. Simple plug it into your PC with a USB cable and it is recognized.
6) Huge battery life. Can run for 3 full days without any recharge with life to spare.
7) The Nano acts like a USB stick and you simply plug it in to any PC or Mac and it is recognized as a drive. Nav to your file. Done.
8) Downside: Now that the C II has arrived you realize how nice having a simple screen for basic navigation features can be. The nav(screen, etc) on the CII can be tremendously valuable for only a few bucks more.

Colibri II
1) the navigation, screen and vario features are exceptional for such a low cost.
2) I find myself navigating with the C II because its so simple even though I have a computer as well. Heading, distance, etc.
3) Extremely simple interface. Allows navigation to any and all of my turn-point database. NO glideslope calculations.
4) Downside: Battery drains faster than advertised when on full brightness (2.5 hours max). YOUR GOING TO NEED TO EXTERNALLY POWER THIS if you plan on using it. No Bluetooth.
5) Suitable to fly a glider with ONLY this instrument. Crude but functional. Great value if you use its features. Would be great for club cross country. Light enough to mount on canopy side with RAM suction mount.
6) OLC is not scoring its igc file :-(. Came in as invalid.
7) Downside: removing the SD card every flight is annoying and requires a card reader. Can lose the card, can damage the card, can damage the socket for the card, etc. Does not get recognized as a drive.

Conclusions
If you are looking for a simple logger for OLC or contest or a backup logger etc. NANO hands down.

If you are looking for an instrument to do basic turnpoint navigation and also log flights (and you are sure that you will actually use its features on a primary basis), C II no question.

NANO B+
CII B
Old April 7th 12, 01:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Morteza Ansari
external usenet poster

Colibri II

OLC now correctly verifies files from Colibri II
Old April 7th 12, 02:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]
external usenet poster

On Friday, April 6, 2012 6:26:06 PM UTC-5, Sean F2 wrote:
I have been using both of these units now for a few weeks. I used the Nano as a "backup" last year but it was so much easier to access that it immediately became my primary unit. Still having some teething pains with the CII but overall it is a really good as well. Here are some of my notes:

Nano:
1) Solid, simple to operate. Turn it on, or turn it off. Simple to understand LED lights for power, gps fix, logging, bluetooth connected, etc.
2) Automatically starts flight recording on take off roll.
3) Configuration tool is simple and works.
4) Bluetooth feature is very useful for connecting to other instruments or PDA's.
5) *KEY* no need to remove the microSD card. Simple plug it into your PC with a USB cable and it is recognized.
6) Huge battery life. Can run for 3 full days without any recharge with life to spare.
7) The Nano acts like a USB stick and you simply plug it in to any PC or Mac and it is recognized as a drive. Nav to your file. Done.
8) Downside: Now that the C II has arrived you realize how nice having a simple screen for basic navigation features can be. The nav(screen, etc) on the CII can be tremendously valuable for only a few bucks more.

Colibri II
1) the navigation, screen and vario features are exceptional for such a low cost.
2) I find myself navigating with the C II because its so simple even though I have a computer as well. Heading, distance, etc.
3) Extremely simple interface. Allows navigation to any and all of my turn-point database. NO glideslope calculations.
4) Downside: Battery drains faster than advertised when on full brightness (2.5 hours max). YOUR GOING TO NEED TO EXTERNALLY POWER THIS if you plan on using it. No Bluetooth.
5) Suitable to fly a glider with ONLY this instrument. Crude but functional. Great value if you use its features. Would be great for club cross country. Light enough to mount on canopy side with RAM suction mount.
7) Downside: removing the SD card every flight is annoying and requires a card reader. Can lose the card, can damage the card, can damage the socket for the card, etc. Does not get recognized as a drive.

Conclusions
If you are looking for a simple logger for OLC or contest or a backup logger etc. NANO hands down.

If you are looking for an instrument to do basic turnpoint navigation and also log flights (and you are sure that you will actually use its features on a primary basis), C II no question.

NANO B+
CII B

I love my Nano too and not having to remove the SD card makes it the winner hands down IMO. I'm guessing the display on my Oudie gives me a lot more info than the CII and is just as portable (makes a valid OLC file too). HOWEVER, the CII has the game "Snake" loaded which could make the time pass a lot quicker while waiting for retrieves...
Old April 7th 12, 07:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F2
external usenet poster

Fantastic! I was not worried. New product, etc.