Helicopter Buzzes Wal-Mart

Old January 31st 05, 09:29 PM

Default Helicopter Buzzes Wal-Mart

I was shopping at a Wal-Mart on December 17, 2004, when I noticed
outside a helicopter flying just over the tops of the parked vehicles
in front of the store. It was flying towards me, about 20 feet above
the ground and climbing. I got a photograph of it when it was about 50
to 70 feet in the air. It quickly flew up past me and over the top of
the building.

I realize that helicopters have a lot of flight freedom, but it is
still shocking to see one flying directly towards oneself like this.

Coincidentally, an assistant manager at that store told me last week
that I was not allowed to bring my camera inside the store. He cited
security risk, and made a vague reference to the cameras they sell in
the Electronics Department. So, it may be difficult to get photos like
the one I took, at least from that store.
http://members.aol.com/rekgallery/WM_Heli/WM_Heli.html

Old January 31st 05, 09:48 PM
Morgans

wrote

I got a photograph of it when it was about 50
to 70 feet in the air. It quickly flew up past me and over the top of
the building.

I realize that helicopters have a lot of flight freedom, but it is
still shocking to see one flying directly towards oneself like this.

I think your altitude estimation skills need a bit of practice. It looks to
me like the chopper is at least 200 feet up. Anyone else have an opinion?
--
Jim in NC

Old January 31st 05, 10:01 PM

"Looks more like 1000+ feet to me."

I know it wasn't, because I was there. But, I must admit that the
photograph initially makes the helicopter look much higher than I
remember it. I believe this is purely a matter of optical perspective,
though. The helicopter is small (and even smaller in the photograph),
so you assume it is very far away. Actually, it is fairly close in that
photo, about as close as it is off the ground.

"Also, I take my pda / phone / camera in there all the time. "

I have worn my Olympus C-3040s around my neck for the last 4 years (and
had another camera on my hip for a year prior). I try to have it with
me at all times. I've taken it into several Wal-Marts in several cities
in two states. I have never before had a Wal-Mart representative tell
me that I cannot bring my camera inside the store. Now, though, they
tell me I can't shop there if I have my camera.

I called 1800-Walmart and complained. They simply passed my complaint
back to the store. I got a message on my answering machine from that
store, repeating what they had just told me the previous day. They say
it is Wal-Mart policy. The manager even said that if I would tell him
which other Wal-Marts allowed me to bring in my camera, he would get
that straightened out, because it is not permitted.

Old January 31st 05, 10:04 PM

"I think your altitude estimation skills need a bit of practice. "

Could be. My vision is distorted, and I only had a few seconds to grab
this shot.

"It looks to me like the chopper is at least 200 feet up."

I believe the helicopter was within 100 feet of me when I took the
photo. It looks small, so you might think it is farther away.

Old January 31st 05, 10:07 PM
Allen

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

It is well above 70', probably closer to 400-500' AGL. Is there an airport
or hospital nearby? Could also be a police patrol.

Old January 31st 05, 10:23 PM

"It is well above 70', probably closer to 400-500' AGL. Is there an
airport
or hospital nearby?"

The nearest hospital in the direction from which the helicopter came is
several miles away. I don't know of any airport in that direction.

I had the impression that the helicopter took off from the construction
site across the street, about 500 feet away, though I did not see it
actually take off. The construction is building a road through a vacant
field. In fact, most of the land in that direction for several miles is
farmland or vacant fields.

The Wal-Mart in the photo is near the intersection of Ohio Street and
121 in Plano, Texas. It should not be difficult to find that on a map.

Old January 31st 05, 10:42 PM
Newps

William W. Plummer wrote:

Helos are used to police major power lines in my area. My guess is
they are less than 50 feet above the lines. Everytime I see them fly
by I just give thanks that I don't have that job.

They don't police the power lines they check them and it's a great job.
My mechanic has the contract for two pipelines that he flies with his
cub. He makes a killing.
Old January 31st 05, 10:51 PM
Patrick Pohler

I had the impression that the helicopter took off from the
construction
site across the street, about 500 feet away, though I did not see it
actually take off. The construction is building a road through a

vacant
field. In fact, most of the land in that direction for several miles

is
farmland or vacant fields.

These are the FAR's regarding minimum safe altitudes as found on AOPA
Online:
http://www.aopa.org/pilot/features/regrvw9701.html#119

See especially part (d) of 91.119:

"Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an
aircraft below the following altitudes:

(a) Anywhere. An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency
landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.

(b) Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or
settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of
1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of
2,000 feet of the aircraft.

(c) Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the
surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those
cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any
person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.

(d) Helicopters. Helicopters may be operated at less than the minimums
prescribed in paragraph (b) or (c) of this section if the operation is
conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface. In
addition, each person operating a helicopter shall comply with any
routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the
Administrator. "

If the helicopter was taking off then he's legal. Also since you
described the area as mostly vacant fields, I believe that would
qualify as a sparsely populated area. Also since it's a helicopter they
are allowed to operate less than the minimums unless it's hazardous to
people and property on the ground (other than percieved altitude, was
the helicopter doing anything seemingly dangerous?).

IMHO it's nothing to be worried about. On a side note concerning
Walmart, you can't be without your camera for more than an hour or two
while you shop?

Patrick Pohler
PP-SEL (KOSU)