OSH '05 Comments

Old July 30th 05, 01:01 PM
PPT33R

There is a separate aircraft camping area in the North 40 for
handicapped at OSH.

When I walked by each day (located at the main grounds entrance from
the North 40), there were AT MOST 4 aircraft in the designated area. I
give these people a TON of credit. It appeared they all brought their
own wheelchairs and such. I didn't see ANY scooters.

There must be a hell of a lot more handicapped people these days based
upon the number of scooters. I just love the ones that literally JUMP
from their scooters to get in line for their Johnsonville Brats!!!

I prefaced my original post saying I acknowledge there are many people
that NEED these things, and I give them due credit, but I cannot
believe the numbers represented at OSH are reflective of the number of
truly handicapped, I was merely refering to the OSP (I don't consider
obesity-induced mobility loss as a handicapped, rather a self-inflicted
wound.) I have a hard time reconciling these numbers based upon my
observations at OSH. If this is so chronic, then we need Surgeon
General's warning lables on Twinkies and Brats. We must be breeding
ourselves into extinction, having traveled abroad it is quite
disgusting...

Old July 30th 05, 01:54 PM
Jim N.

As another example, I was returning from southwest Asia from an Air Force
deployment, and after many hours on planes, was waiting in the commuter
terminal in Dulles. I also had picked up a pretty significant GI bug, which
had given me fevers and chills along with a nasty case of diarrhea. However,
I also knew that this was the last leg on my way home, and was at least back
in the States.

However, the last leg was on an RJ, and there was an obese passenger waiting
to go on the plane on a scooter. In order to accomodate her needs the
airline needed to bring out a portable ramp, since there was no jetway up to
the plane. Unfortunately, due to the parking spot, the ramp wouldn't come up
to the hatch, so then they had to get a tug and move the plane back a few
feet, after moving all of the ground equipment as well that was next to the
plane.

Unfortunately, the ground crew miscalculated, and they didn't move the plane
back far enough, so after another twenty minutes of trying to fit the
portable ramp, it was clear that the plane needed to be moved again. Of
course, all of the pax were waiting and watching this keystone cops routine,
while I was there with chills and a fever, wondering whether I was going to
need to go out and run to the bathroom again before the flight.

After another attempt at fitting the ramp, the ground crew gave up, and the
passenger in question simply walked up the stairs and down the aisle without
a problem! While she wasn't exactly sprinting, she clearly had little
difficulty going up the four steps and walking down the aisle without
assistance. If we had been on a sailing ship I think all of the pax would
have voted to throw her out the door to the sharks.

Although the whole debacle took around an hour, it was an inconvenience to
everyone on the plane, as well as the ground crew. Obviously, I think most
people would have been understanding and compassionate to a person with
legitimate needs, but this was completely over the top.

I also recently had a patient in her early thirties who insisted that I
document that she had knee pain and needed a handicapped sticker so she
didn't have to walk so far from the parking lot. I offered her some physical
therapy as well as a short course of anti-inflammatory medications, but she
declined, telling me the only thing she needed was the handicapped permit!

Why is it that in American society we need the quick fix- gastroplasty and
other fat reducing surgery or diet pills rather than watching what we eat
and increasing our exercise? Why are our children the fattest in the world?
I am not one of those arrogant rail thin marathon runners by any stretch,
but I believe that obesity is a serious concern for our entire society.

Old July 30th 05, 02:14 PM
Roy Page

Well said !
And another point, any passenger that needs a seat belt extension, should be
required to buy two seats.
Why should we have to put up with their mass spreading into our comfort zone
?

Roy P

Old July 30th 05, 07:30 PM
Jim Carriere

Roy Page wrote:
Well said !
And another point, any passenger that needs a seat belt extension, should be
required to buy two seats.
Why should we have to put up with their mass spreading into our comfort zone
?

Which is one of the reasons I'm building my own airplane (there- that
covers the topic of all three newsgroups). I don't like people
practically sitting in my lap, spilling over into the seat I paid for
(RJs seem to have especially narrow seats).
Old July 30th 05, 07:58 PM
NVArt

How do you take a census in a government office?

Count the chins and divide by four.

Old July 30th 05, 10:38 PM
Kyle Boatright

"PPT33R" wrote in message
oups.com...
Another great OSH. The number and quality of the exhibits seems to
improve each year. I especially like the Miller Welding trailer. My
girlfriend even got to play with the plasma cutter, and she liked it
(maybe helping me justify a future purchase ;-)...

snip

Wicks had a much smaller display this year with no parts, just pilot
supplies. They should probably move to the Fly Market and provide more
selection next year.

I am not sure about the new scheduling, starting on a Monday. Crowds
seemed VERY light on Monday (which was good for us, but not sure for
the vendors.) It will be interesting to see how this weekend works out
for them. The North 40 was filled by Sunday night, but emptied out
considerably by Wednesday afternoon (when we left.)

snip

Funny, when we got there by air at ~2:00 on Monday afternoon, the ATIS
indicated that ALL camping was full and the only thing that was open
on-field was General Aviation Parking... From my perspective, this was the
busiest Oshkosh I've attended. I managed to get a spot in Homebuilt
Camping, but the guys there indicated that they were essentially out of
room. Maybe a half dozen spaces left (I'd guess there were 1,000 aircraft
in Homebuilt Camping), and they were about to have to "invent" parking
spaces. The North 40 appeared full, as did Antique and Classic
camping/parking...

Amazing how different folks have different perspectives.

KB

Old July 31st 05, 02:27 AM
Dave Butler

Kyle Boatright wrote:
"PPT33R" wrote in message
oups.com...

snip

[...]

I don't see any conflict between your observations and
PPT33R's. I too, observed that the N40 was full by Sunday
night, and emptied out considerably by Wednesday afternoon.
I also observed that the crowds seemed very light on Monday.

Without taking sides on the question of whether all the
scooter drivers really needed scooters, I'll observe that I
felt threatened at times by the scooters.

Dave

Old July 31st 05, 03:36 AM
LWG

Ocean City, NJ has aircraft handicap parking.

Les

"Sylvain" wrote in message
Jonathan

in the spirit of bringing it a little bit back on topic :-)

you wouldn't believe how few airports have handicap
parking spots for aircraft (actually, the only time
I remember I had such a spot reserved was on an AFB,
believe it or not, these guys are great :-)

one of these days I would really like to go to OSH;
snag is, it looks like it involves an awful lot of
walking (as pointed out by another poster) and I heard
that scooters and such were not allowed on the grounds;

anyone out there who has mobility limitations has gone
to OSH (flying that is) and could tell me about it?

--Sylvain

Old July 31st 05, 04:25 AM
George Patterson

Jim N. wrote:

Why is it that in American society we need the quick fix- gastroplasty and
other fat reducing surgery or diet pills rather than watching what we eat
and increasing our exercise? Why are our children the fattest in the world?

Because some decades back American health "authorities" came up with the idea of
the "food triangle", and American companies started manufacturing stuff based on
that model. When I was a kid, Italians were the heaviest people in the western
world, and it was presented as fact that this was because their diet was heavy
on starch and bread. What did people expect would happen when we adopted the
same model?

George Patterson
Old July 31st 05, 05:46 AM
Rich S.

"Dave Butler" wrote in message ...
Without taking sides on the question of whether all the scooter drivers
really needed scooters, I'll observe that I felt threatened at times by
the scooters.

Perhaps there should be a definition between the golf carts and the reduced
mobility vehicles. I find it hard to believe anyone could feel threatened by
the electric three-wheelers used by handicapped folks, The golf carts are
another story and are well-matched by the racing Gators.

We were making our way back to the Homebuilt Hooch on Tuesday night after an
evening with friends at Camp Scholler. The beer and brats were delicious and
it was approaching eight o'clock. We learned then that the trams stop
running at ten minutes to eight and head for their corral after a long day's
stint.

It was a god half-mile walk from Camp Scholler at the mid-south location to
the Homebuilder's Hooch in the North. My 82 year-old navigator and I set out
to walk it, as nothing else was available. He was doing better than I,
because my ten year old back surgery has ran its course. Not a problem,
though. I was willing to pay the price. You folks with back problems know
what I mean. I did get really ****ed off at the 20 something girl who ran
her empty four-seat golf cart through the pedestrians calling out "SORREE"
at the top of her lungs.

The painful walk paid off when we reached AeroShell Square. The sun was
dropping below the horizon in the west and the remaining light played on a
bank of clouds above the field. I stared at the wonder of SpaceShip One,
facing me across the square. All my earthly troubles were forgotten as I
gazed upon the reality of those many hours spent reading Robert Heinlein, E.
E. Smith, Ray Bradbury, and a thousand other word weavers.

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c4/elw...ceship_one.jpg

Thank you, Burt. Thank you, Paul. Thank you, Richard. Thanks to each and
every one of the dreamers and workers who made possible the dreams of all of
us.

I hiked the rest of the way with a lightened load.

For those of you who have nothing better to do than to scoff at those with
pain - Bill the Cat has an appropriate salutation. Phhhwwwwttttt!

Rich S.