Idiot Teen Buzzes football Game.

Old November 11th 07, 04:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default Idiot Teen Buzzes football Game.

buttman writes:

I think it's funny how people can laugh at this sort of thing when it
happened back in the day, but for some reason have a completely
opposite reaction when it happens in the present time. Does anyone
remember that scene in One Six Right when those WWII vets were
reminiscing about when they were teenagers flying down low along the
trains (and I'm sure they've done worst things than that, too)? You
never hear people calling them idiots. Back then it was cute, not it's
"idiotic". To me it sounds like the exact same thing...

In the old days, people in general were much less fearful than they are today,
and often much less reckless as well (there is some correlation between the
two).
Old November 11th 07, 11:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

buttman writes:

I think it's funny how people can laugh at this sort of thing when it
happened back in the day, but for some reason have a completely
opposite reaction when it happens in the present time. Does anyone
remember that scene in One Six Right when those WWII vets were
reminiscing about when they were teenagers flying down low along the
trains (and I'm sure they've done worst things than that, too)? You
never hear people calling them idiots. Back then it was cute, not
it's "idiotic". To me it sounds like the exact same thing...

In the old days, people in general were much less fearful than they
are today,

Yeah. Oh for those lazy crazy days during the depression/in the
trenches/during the plague/

Bertie
Old November 12th 07, 02:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Aluckyguess

It will probably get him layed.
"Vaughn Simon" wrote in message
This is just exactly the type of press that general aviation does not
need.

http://www.charlotte.com/local/story/353335.html

Vaughn

--
Will poofread for food.

Old November 12th 07, 01:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

Airbus wrote:
In the old days, people in general were much less fearful than they are
today, and often much less reckless as well (there is some correlation
between the two).

So as people in general become more fearful, they also become more reckless.
Tell us about the correlation . . .

Many kids today are being pussified by fearful parents. Stuff that was commonly
done when I was growing up now counts as the height of parental negligence.
Nobody wore bike helmets; we went out to play all day long without checking in;
certainly without wearing a pager or carrying a cell phone.

I can remember falling off a stone wall. Nobody bothered to tell me that was a
dangerous activity. After I fell from it once, I figured it out for myself. I
was... 5... 6...? Nowadays no self respecting parent would let their kids
anywhere near a stone wall unchaparoned.

I look at the young miscreant who flew the C-172 over Hopewell High with mixed
feelings. I know, as an adult, that if he'd had a problem he'd have been
screwed and likely would have taken people with him. I also know the unbridled
thrill of buzzing, as I did it myself as a young man. Now I'll admit it never
occurred to me to do it over an assembly of people. I liked beaches myself.

So what's going to happen to this kid? His father is going to ground him for
the rest of his life (or at least a year). The cops are charging him with two
misdemeanors and he's already spent some time in jail over that as his father
has decided to let tough love educate his son. The FAA is going to prosecute as
well and he will either lose his license for a period of time or he will get a
hefty civil penalty (or both).

My buzzing career ended abruptly after a run-in with the FAA; I'm willing to bet
his will also. I'd also bet nobody will ever accuse him of lacking a set. His
parents didn't do all that badly with him.

As for the original premise that stimulated me to write this: I don't think I
agree. I think the same acts occurred back in the old days; it's just that
nobody back then thought they were so unusual.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Old November 12th 07, 10:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Clark

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 08:31:00 -0500, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com wrote:

Airbus wrote:
In the old days, people in general were much less fearful than they are
today, and often much less reckless as well (there is some correlation
between the two).

So as people in general become more fearful, they also become more reckless.
Tell us about the correlation . . .

Many kids today are being pussified by fearful parents. Stuff that was commonly
done when I was growing up now counts as the height of parental negligence.
Nobody wore bike helmets; we went out to play all day long without checking in;
certainly without wearing a pager or carrying a cell phone.

I got this in an email yonks ago and have no idea where it comes from:

" According to today's regulators and bureaucrats, those of us
who were kids in the 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's or even the early
80's,
probably shouldn't have survived.

Our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based
paint.

We had no childproof lids or locks on medicine bottles,
doors, or
cabinets, and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets.

Not to mention the risks we took hitchhiking ...

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air
bags.
Riding in the back of a pickup truck on a warm day was
always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle.
Horrors!

We ate cupcakes, bread and butter, and drank soda pop with
sugar in
it, but we were never overweight because we were always
outside playing.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle,
and no one
actually died from this.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and
then rode down the hill, only to find out we forgot the
brakes. After
running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the
problem.

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as
long as we were back when the street lights came on. No one
was able to
reach us all day. No cell phones. Unthinkable!

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo 64, X-Boxes, no video
games at all, no 99 channels on cable, video tape movies,
surround sound,
personal cell phones, personal computers, or Internet chat
rooms.

We had friends! We went outside and found them.

We played dodge ball, and sometimes, the ball would really
hurt.

We fell out of trees, got cut and broke bones and teeth, and
there
were no lawsuits from these accidents. They were accidents.
No one
was to blame but us. Remember accidents?

We had fights and punched each other and got black and blue
and
learned to get over it.

We made up games with sticks and tennis balls and, although
we were told it would happen, we did not put out any eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's home and knocked on
the door, or rang the bell or just walked in and talked to
them.

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team.
Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment.

Our actions were our own. Consequences were expected.

The idea of parents bailing us out if we got in trouble in
school or broke a law was unheard of. They actually sided
with the school or the law. Imagine that!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers,
problem solvers, and inventors, ever.

We had freedom, failure, success, and responsibility -- and
we
learned how to deal with it.

And you're one of them! Congratulations."
Old November 13th 07, 02:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Airbus writes:

So as people in general become more fearful, they also become more reckless.
Tell us about the correlation . . .

They aren't the same people. As the majority of society has become more
fearful and paranoid, a minority of society has become more reckless. They
are correlated because they have a common cause ... the news media.
Old November 13th 07, 04:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Airbus writes:

So as people in general become more fearful, they also become more
reckless. Tell us about the correlation . . .

They aren't the same people. As the majority of society has become
more fearful and paranoid, a minority of society has become more
reckless. They are correlated because they have a common cause ...
the news media.

You're an idiot.

thank god you stay in all the time, I say.

Bertie