A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Cobra wheel bearing info

Old March 20th 14, 04:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Villinski
external usenet poster

Default Cobra wheel bearing info

Bearings for the pre-1990 Cobra's are unsealed taper bearings. For the 13", 4-lug wheel, replacement bearings are available at auto parts stores like Autozone.
Large, inner bearing: Timken "Set 8" L45449 - L45410
Seal for this bearing: Timken 224015
Small, outer bearing: Timken "Set 1" LM11710 - LM11449
Wheel drums are available from Eastern Sailplanes for $125.
After recent misadventures with a disintegrating bearing en route to Florida I have added bearings and grease to the spares/tools in the trailer.
Old March 22nd 14, 12:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Cleveland
external usenet poster

Thanks Paul. Great info! I just repacked my 1981 Cobra trailer bearings and was thinking about picking up a set of spare bearings for the unfortunate situation you refer to.

David
Old March 22nd 14, 02:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Vaughn
external usenet poster

On 3/22/2014 8:33 AM, David Cleveland wrote:
was thinking about picking up a set of spare bearings for the unfortunate situation you refer to.

FYI, I carry my spare bearings submerged in grease in a small paint can.
The can is fastened to the frame of my trailer with a long hose clamp
where it takes no space, is never in the way, and will never be lost. I
hope to never need them, but they will always be ready.
Old March 22nd 14, 02:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
s6
external usenet poster

Le jeudi 20 mars 2014 00:03:07 UTC-4, Paul Villinski a écrit*:
Bearings for the pre-1990 Cobra's are unsealed taper bearings. For the 13", 4-lug wheel, replacement bearings are available at auto parts stores like Autozone.

After recent misadventures with a disintegrating bearing en route to Florida I have added bearings and grease to the spares/tools in the trailer.

Hi
I have a 2002 cobra trailer. The owner manual says I have permanently seal bearing. Now I have no idea what this mean. I am totally incompetent in mechanical things. Does it mean I have nothing do maintain.
Regards
Gilles
Old March 22nd 14, 03:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GM
external usenet poster

Hi

I have a 2002 cobra trailer. The owner manual says I have permanently seal bearing. Now I have no idea what this mean. I am totally incompetent in mechanical things. Does it mean I have nothing do maintain.

Regards

Gilles

Gilles,

I am not sure what bearing configuration a 2002 Cobra trailer has but 'permanently sealed bearing' means that it has polymer seal rings on either side of the bearing to keep dirt out and the grease in and is filled at the factory with the proper amount and type of grease. They are maintenance-free, like the wheel bearings on modern cars.

Uli
'GM'
Old March 22nd 14, 10:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
glidergeek
external usenet poster

Maintenance free sealed bearings are maintenance free until they fail. Eventually the ring that traps the lubricant in and the dirt out will fail, the lube will throw the bearing will eventually get dry or contaminated or both. The trick is to replace before it goes there.
Old December 21st 14, 10:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
external usenet poster

On Saturday, March 22, 2014 10:51:53 AM UTC-4, s6 wrote:
Le jeudi 20 mars 2014 00:03:07 UTC-4, Paul Villinski a écrit*:

Hi
Regards
Gilles

Typically it means it's a "cartridge bearing" compared to a "taper roller bearing".
Easiest way to tell (without pulling it all apart) is to remove the dust cap on the center of the hub.
If there is a "castellated nut" and a lock device (like a cotter pin), then it's a pair of taper roller bearings.
These can be removed, cleaned, re-greased & reassembled (assuming they haven't dried out the grease and welded themselves together).

A cartridge bearing is "pre-assembled", can't really be opened/cleaned/greased and has no maintenance until it dies (usually late at night, middle of nowhere, while raining, etc.....).
Some will require a medium hydraulic press to remove the old bearing & install the new bearing.