Do I have to file?

Old June 4th 07, 11:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Newps

Default Do I have to file?

John R. Copeland wrote:

the initial callup included the A/C identification,
its current position, altitude, and its intended destination.
Would the controller need more flight plan information than that?

You better give me a route if you don't want direct because that's what
I'm entering into the computer.
Old June 5th 07, 12:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
John R. Copeland

"Newps" wrote in message . ..

John R. Copeland wrote:

the initial callup included the A/C identification,
its current position, altitude, and its intended destination.
Would the controller need more flight plan information than that?

You better give me a route if you don't want direct because that's what
I'm entering into the computer.

I'm sure I'd also give a route if I wanted other than direct.
In Steven's example of Clintonville - Green Bay,
"direct" seemed appropriate.

Old June 5th 07, 12:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll

"Jose" wrote in message
news

Ok. I guess at least one flight got its clearance when not inside an
approach plate, and prior to flight plan info being communicated.

When not inside an approach plate?

I take it from your responses that this is normal procedure.

It's not uncommon.

Hmmm. What
are the criteria used to determine when flight plan info is to be required
first, and when not?

I don't know of any.

Old June 5th 07, 12:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll

"John R. Copeland" wrote in message

Steven's post said the initial callup included the A/C identification,
its current position, altitude, and its intended destination.
Would the controller need more flight plan information than that?

Not in a case like this. The pilot listened to the ATIS, which indicated an
IFR clearance would be needed to get to his destination.

Old June 5th 07, 12:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll

"Newps" wrote in message
. ..

You better give me a route if you don't want direct because that's what
I'm entering into the computer.

The guy called for a popup because an IAP was needed to get to his
destination less than 30 miles away. He doesn't need to specify a route,
he's going to be vectored for the advertised approach.

Old June 7th 07, 05:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jose

When not inside an approach plate?

Yes. A colloquialism which means not in a position where the approach
plate would provide navigational guidance.

Jose
--
There are two kinds of people in the world. Those that just want to
know what button to push, and those that want to know what happens when
Old June 7th 07, 03:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
John R. Copeland

"Jose" wrote in message et...
When not inside an approach plate?

Yes. A colloquialism which means not in a position where the approach
plate would provide navigational guidance.

Jose

That's a realistic expression when your panel is equipped with a
multifunction display and Jeppesen's JeppView.
The plate depiction is part of the moving-map display.
The little airplane symbol moves smoothly onto the approach plate.

Old June 12th 07, 04:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Robert M. Gary

On Jun 3, 3:05 pm, "Steven P. McNicoll"
wrote:
"Jose" wrote in message

t...

Is the clearance issued before ATC has the information it requests of the
pilot (which would then constitute the flight plan)?

You tell me, here's a complete exchange from first call:

N2293M: "Green Bay Approach, Arrow 2293M, over Clintonville at 3000 with
Lima, request IFR clearance into Green Bay."

GRB Approach: "Arrow 2293M, Green Bay Approach, cleared to Austin Straubel
Field via radar vectors for the ILS runway 6, maintain 3000, fly heading
130, squawk 0401."

N2293M: "Arrow 93M cleared to Green Bay, maintain 3000, heading 130."

GRB Approach: "Arrow 93M radar contact one mile southeast of Clintonville."

I guess it isn't obvious in all parts of the country. I live in fog
country and we often fly wonderful VFR all the way to our destination
and then ask for the ILS IFR to break out at 100 feet. We certainly
don't file a flight plan.

-robert

Old June 12th 07, 05:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jose

I live in fog
country and we often fly wonderful VFR all the way to our destination
and then ask for the ILS IFR to break out at 100 feet. We certainly
don't file a flight plan.

I've done that too. I seem to remember supplying flight plan
information prior to actually being cleared.

Jose
Old August 13th 07, 03:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Ray Andraka

Ron Natalie wrote:

No TEC in Florida.

California is the only place where TEC has any meaning with respect
to how flight plans get filed. In the NE (the only other place with
an official TEC program) it's little more than preferred routes that
keep you out of center airspace.

Ron,
Here in the Northeast, if you don't file the TEC, you are probably going
to get it anyway, at least around the NYC area. For example, going from
Providence to BWI, I've got a choice of 6000' on V16, or if I want
higher I either get there via MANTA, which is some 60 miles offshore or
I get stuck with going north to Barnes (BAF) then V292 to SAGES to Lake
Henry (LHY) to get the long way around. If I want to go through NYC,
then my only choice is V16 at 6000'. Period. And that is regardless of
what I might file.