Nice realistic Laser vs jet photo (Link)

Old January 13th 05, 12:35 AM
Aardvark

Default Nice realistic Laser vs jet photo (Link)

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...in666290.shtml

Old January 13th 05, 01:36 AM
Colin W Kingsbury

What is that thing, Han Solo's light saber?

Old January 13th 05, 03:20 AM
Casey Wilson

"Aardvark" wrote in message

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...in666290.shtml

I was going to stay out of this thread, but that picture is so stupid it
almost made me puke. The graphics d###-head that put that one together is so
far off it would make a middle-school student laugh.
The first clue is the beam following the curvature of the fuselage.
Coherent beams will reflect, but they damn sure will NOT diffract on that
kind of surface. Below the fuselage, there is an apparent separation of the
beam which would only happen if the fuselage occluded the beam going up the
other side. In which casse it couldn't paint the ridiculous stripe up the
compound curves of the near side.
My personal expertise comes from working on weapons applicable lasers for
the Navy and Marine Corps. Neodinium-YAG and CO2 were my specialties,
although my studies included a host of others.
I've also visited the weapons laser labs at White Sands, New Mexico and a
few other places. I've witnessed the destruction of rocket motors and
drones. The equipment used for that might fit in a railroad boxcar.
I have taken the beam from a 5mW neon laser directly into the eye, but
only for a brief moment, a split second, from a range of ten-feet. The
corneal retintivity spot lasted about fifteen seconds.

The only good thing coming out of all this crap is a deflection of
attention from GA.

So, what would I do if I was being illuminated by one of these
off-the-shelf gadgets? To be on the safe side, I wouldn't look in the
direction of the beam's origin. Peripheral exposure, scattered exposure will
not do any damage. If I were really scared, I'd execute a turn away.

Old January 13th 05, 04:38 AM
Sam O'Nella

Aardvark wrote:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...in666290.shtml

Just look at that damn page. Terror(ism) occurs no less than 12 times.

I wonder if Bin Laden bought stock in Associated Press before 9/11?

SAVE US, GOD AND PRESIDENT BUSH! WE ARE TERRIFIED!

Old January 13th 05, 05:23 AM
Happy Dog

"Aardvark" wrote in message

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...in666290.shtml

Lordy. Talk about milking it. Why not show some flames trailing from the
fuselage while they're at it?

moo

Old January 13th 05, 06:14 AM
BTIZ

I don't need to look.... it's CBS at it again... isn't that the network that
just fired everyone for the Bush military paper debacle?

BT

Old January 13th 05, 09:09 AM
Happy Dog

"BTIZ" wrote in message
I don't need to look.... it's CBS at it again... isn't that the network
that just fired everyone for the Bush military paper debacle?

Actually, you do. It's *so* over the top. Designed to scare the pants off
nervous fliers. I wonder, is it legal to carry a laser pointer on a
commercial flight?

moo

Old January 13th 05, 11:05 AM
tscottme

"Colin W Kingsbury" wrote in message
ink.net...

What is that thing, Han Solo's light saber?

No, it's just the latest media hysteria event.

--

Scott

Liberals love America like OJ loved Nicole. - Ann Coulter

Old January 13th 05, 02:52 PM
Dave Stadt

"BTIZ" wrote in message
I don't need to look.... it's CBS at it again... isn't that the network

that
just fired everyone for the Bush military paper debacle?

The firings were window dressing. The real culprits remain at CBS

Old January 13th 05, 02:55 PM
Geoffrey Barnes

Actually, you do. It's *so* over the top. Designed to scare the pants
off
nervous fliers. I wonder, is it legal to carry a laser pointer on a
commercial flight?

No. All commercial passengers must be completely naked, must check every
single item they wish to travel with (including their pacemakers, insulin
pumps, and Epi-Pens) into the cargo hold, and must be encased completely
within a lucite "security pod" for not only the duration of the flight, but
for two days beforehand and 6 hours afterwards. Anal probes are still
optional at this stage, but they will become mandatory of the beginning of
the next fiscal year. All 12 of the people who flew commercially since
these regulations were introduced (not counting the four or five who
asphixiated in malfunctioning security pods) chose to walk home rather than
fly the return leg of their round trip.