Flaps on take-off and landing

Old September 17th 06, 12:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default Flaps on take-off and landing

Thomas Borchert writes:

You need to read a book or too.

That's what the books say. It was all before I was born.

Old September 17th 06, 12:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

"Jim Macklin" writes:

yes

I thought a license was necessary to fly in the U.S.

Old September 17th 06, 01:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Dave Stadt writes:

Absolutely. You can do it for $15,000 or even less.

Do hang gliders count?

Old September 17th 06, 01:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Thomas Borchert writes:

Much less. 10k will buy you something halfway decent.

We may have different standards of halfway decent.

And yes, you can take-off from the nearest strip without
formalities except having the certificate.

Ah yes ... the $15K certificate that requires perfect health.

Oh, and you could do that in France, too. Maybe you'd pay
15k.

For the license alone, yes, according to what pilots here in France
have told me. In general, you can multiply U.S. prices by 2-3 or
more.

Old September 17th 06, 01:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Allen writes:

He is including the tax you paid on your car to get to the airport, the tax
you paid on the gas you put in your car, the tax that went to build the road
to the airport, the tax to build the runway, the tax you paid to lengthen
the runway, the cost of your plane, the tax you paid on your plane, the cost
of your biennial, the cost of your medical, the cost of...........whoa, this
IS expensive :-)

Yes. Essentially all the costs you would not have if you didn't fly.
It all adds up.

Old September 17th 06, 01:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Thomas Borchert writes:

You still wouldn't come nowhere near 100k. Don't fall for him. Let him
try and prove it.

You can come near that number even with a car. With an aircraft, it's
much easier.

Old September 17th 06, 01:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Mxsmanic,

While technically possible

I'd really like a source or two for that statement.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old September 17th 06, 01:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Mxsmanic,

That's very expensive.

Compared to what?

First, 800$, assuming 100 $ per hour, would take you 900 kilometers in
four hours travel time. If that's your kind of weekend trip, I'm sure
you can afford it.

Also, there are four people aboard, so you're talking about 200 per
person for a trip from, say, Paris, to Barcelona, Florence, Prague or
Majorca. Still expensive? I didn't think so.

For argument's sake, let's assume I lived in Paris (I really live in
Hamburg, not that far). A typical weekend flying trip would take me to
London, the Channel Islands or the Loire valley. Trips of less than two
hours, all. Or 400 $, for the whole plane. Try getting to the Channel
Islands in two hours from Paris by any other mode of transportation,
for 100 $ per person, on your own schedule.

Expensive? Bah, humbug, I say.

Oh, and as Mastercard so eloquently shows us, price is not all that
matters in life.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old September 17th 06, 01:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Thomas Borchert writes:

I'd really like a source or two for that statement.

Why do you need a source? If you know how ANR works, it's obvious
that it could be done with windows (although it's equally obvious that
it might not be worth doing).

Old September 17th 06, 01:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Thomas Borchert writes:

Compared to what?

A car.

First, 800$, assuming 100 $ per hour, would take you 900 kilometers in
four hours travel time. If that's your kind of weekend trip, I'm sure
you can afford it.

Often the destination is what's important, not the distance. And the
distance would be more like 640 km in a private plane, all things
considered. That's about enough to get from San Diego to Los Angeles
and back--hardly a great distance, at least by USA standards.

Who pays for the gas?

Also, there are four people aboard, so you're talking about 200 per
person for a trip from, say, Paris, to Barcelona, Florence, Prague or
Majorca. Still expensive? I didn't think so.

Who said there would be four people aboard?

For argument's sake, let's assume I lived in Paris (I really live in
Hamburg, not that far). A typical weekend flying trip would take me to
London, the Channel Islands or the Loire valley. Trips of less than two
hours, all. Or 400 $, for the whole plane. Try getting to the Channel
Islands in two hours from Paris by any other mode of transportation,
for 100 $ per person, on your own schedule.

I can get to London much more quickly on the Eurostar, for less money.

Clearly, you'd have to have a lot of money and a desire to fly for the
sake of flying in order to do this.