Tuning a Rainco antenna

Old July 19th 11, 10:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default Tuning a Rainco antenna

I have a Rainco ground station antenna I bought from Graham Thompson
about a millennium ago. The construction is 2' of 1" diameter aluminum
tube at the bottom with a 4' whip on top. The coax attaches at the base.

My problem is it's VSWR at 123.3 is 2.5; at 118.1 it's only 1.5. I'm
assuming it's too long, but maybe there are coils or such inside that do
the adjustment. Does anyone know how to tune this antenna?

email me)
- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm
http://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl
Old July 20th 11, 03:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ray conlon

On Jul 19, 5:37*pm, Eric Greenwell wrote:
I have a Rainco ground station antenna I bought from Graham Thompson
about a millennium ago. The construction is 2' of 1" diameter aluminum
tube at the bottom with a 4' whip on top. The coax attaches at the base.

My problem is it's VSWR at 123.3 is 2.5; at 118.1 it's only 1.5. I'm
assuming it's too long, but maybe there are coils or such inside that do
the adjustment. Does anyone know how to tune this antenna?

email me)
- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarmhttp://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl

VHF antennas are tuned by adjusting the length of the radiator
element, usually the vertical one, lower freq the longer the element,
the higher the freq the shorter...
Old July 20th 11, 05:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

On 7/19/2011 7:26 PM, ray conlon wrote:
On Jul 19, 5:37 pm, Eric wrote:
I have a Rainco ground station antenna I bought from Graham Thompson
about a millennium ago. The construction is 2' of 1" diameter aluminum
tube at the bottom with a 4' whip on top. The coax attaches at the base.

My problem is it's VSWR at 123.3 is 2.5; at 118.1 it's only 1.5. I'm
assuming it's too long, but maybe there are coils or such inside that do
the adjustment. Does anyone know how to tune this antenna?

email me)
- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarmhttp://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl

VHF antennas are tuned by adjusting the length of the radiator
element, usually the vertical one, lower freq the longer the element,
the higher the freq the shorter...

I'm hoping there is some way to adjust the Rainco antenna without
cutting off pieces of the whip, which has a nice ball formed on the end.

I used to have the instructions, but I can't find them in my records any
more.

email me)
- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm
http://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl
- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation Mar/2004" Much of what
you need to know tinyurl.com/yfs7tnz
Old July 20th 11, 01:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Eric,

For the Larsen antennas I sell, there is also a ball at the end of the whip,
so I cut-off the other end of the whip. But I'm sure you thought of that
already.

I documented the tools I used to tune the antennas on my web page he
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/larsen.htm

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (change ".netto" to ".us" to email

Old July 20th 11, 01:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Jul 19, 9:31*pm, Eric Greenwell wrote:

I'm hoping there is some way to adjust the Rainco antenna without
cutting off pieces of the whip, which has a nice ball formed on the end.

I'm sure that if you open it up there will be a way to adjust the
length without cutting the tip off. I thought I had the same antenna
as you but my sleeve is larger diameter. My measurements a

sleeve dia 1.25 inch
sleeve length 26.2 inch (insulator to base excluding mounting bolt)
exposed whip length 44.7 inch

Don't know the resonant freq or the SWR at 123.3 but I may have to
measure it now you brought the subject up.

It appears the antenna can be opened by removing a single screw that
attaches the mounting base to the sleeve. The insulated cap at the
top of the sleeve is retained by staking (center punched indent).

I have a vague recollection that these antennas originated in AZ and
were designed by Ryan. Quite a few club members were using them a
while ago. I did a search of some ham radio antenna deign sources but
didn't find exactly the same design. Sleeve monopole is the best
generic description I could find.

If you open it up let me know what you find, and/or send pictures.

Andy
Old July 20th 11, 03:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

On 7/20/2011 5:43 AM, Andy wrote:
On Jul 19, 9:31 pm, Eric wrote:

[...]

Your measurements are exactly what mine measures, so I think we do have
the same antenna. It's the motorhome's antenna, so I'll wait until after
our upcoming trip before trying to open it up. Don't want to fix
something that's working well just before I need it!

email me)

Old July 20th 11, 10:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Free Flight 107

I was about to make one of those types of antennas years ago, but a
Ham friend took me tothe local Ham shop and the guy at the counter put
together the right parts for a 5/8th wave antenna with a magnetic base
for about $80.
Works great, I receive gliders when those with 1/4 wave antennas don't
even hear them. It's about 5 ft high and removable which is a geat
advantage over the bolted to the bumper kind. SWR at 123.4 came in at
1.1 or less with 125.0 only 1.2 or so. It seems to combine the best of
all worlds in sensitivity, range of freqs and handling.

Give it a try,

Wayne

Old July 21st 11, 12:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Jul 20, 2:24*pm, Free Flight 107 wrote:
I was about to make one of those types of antennas years ago, but a
Ham friend took me tothe local Ham shop and the guy at the counter put
together the right parts for a 5/8th wave antenna with a magnetic base
for about $80.
Works great, I receive gliders when those with 1/4 wave antennas don't
even hear them. It's about 5 ft high and removable which is a geat
advantage over the bolted to the bumper kind. SWR at 123.4 came in at
1.1 or less with 125.0 only 1.2 or so. It seems to combine the best of
all worlds in sensitivity, range of freqs and handling.

Give it a try,

Wayne

I used a 5/8 base loaded magnetic mount for years and still have it.
These antennas (antennae) work very well on steel roof vehicles,
particularly if they are tuned for a specific spot on the roof and
always mounted in the same place. They have higher gain that a 1/4
wave but, just as importantly, a lower radiation angle.

They don't stick well on glass top vans or on glass motor homes
though. To use one there you'd need a ground plane and a steel mount
plate.

Andy

Ka-6 Tuning vontresc Soaring 2 May 4th 10 03:01 AM
Need CO analyzer for motorglider tuning Eric Greenwell Soaring 5 November 23rd 04 07:44 PM
Tuning up for Uvalde at Marfa David Kinsell Soaring 1 August 12th 04 04:56 AM
Tuning up FS9 Dan Moos Simulators 3 September 14th 03 09:18 PM
Tuning In and Hot Take-Offs Art Cline Rotorcraft 0 July 28th 03 12:32 PM