AOPA credit card --- WARNING.

Old November 27th 04, 02:14 PM
mike regish

That's you opinion, and I have no doubt that mine is NOT wrong. You prove
that consistently.

mike regish

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
nk.net...

"mike regish" wrote in message

I'd say he's an excellent judge of character in your case.

You're entitled to your opinion. You're wrong, of course, but you are
entitled to your opinion.

Old November 27th 04, 02:24 PM
Chuck

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
Chuck wrote:

"John Galban" wrote in message
om...

snip

I've almost never kept a balance on a credit card. If I can't get a
real loan (i.e. bank loan with reasonable terms), then that means I
probably can't afford whatever it is I want to buy.

Must be nice... I don't have the option of very many luxuries, so I need
credit from time to time for necessities...

I still don't see how this works as the interest you pay means that you
can now have even fewer necessities than if you paid cash for them.

You just don't get it, do ya?

Of the 3 "luxuries" that I said that I have, only one *might* have been
bought on credit and had to pay any interest. That would be the Dell PC. For
your information, I did charge that PC, but paid it off with my tax refund 2
months later. I paid 1 or 2 months of interest. Big deal. Dish Network and
SBC don't charge any interest that I am aware of.

If you will read, I have ONE credit card (Sears, for school clothes, tools,
etc) that I am paying interest on. For someone in my financial situation, I
don't feel that is all that bad.

Would you stop trying to pry into my personal situation please.

---

Old November 27th 04, 02:28 PM
Chuck

Chuck wrote:

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
k.net...

"Chuck" wrote in message
news
I've almost never kept a balance on a credit card. If I can't get a
real loan (i.e. bank loan with reasonable terms), then that means I
probably can't afford whatever it is I want to buy.

Must be nice... I don't have the option of very many luxuries, so I

need
credit from time to time for necessities...

Is your computer a luxury or a necessity?

I said "very many luxuries". Never said that I didn't have *any*

My PC is a luxury as well as my DSL, although it's only $5 more a month

than
dial up, and so is my Dish Network, but I only have the basic package.

Those
are my luxuries... What are yours?

I still use dial-up and have only the 3 channels I can pick up with the
antenna on my TV. However, I do have no debt other than my home
mortgage and I'm making additional principal payments each month that
are equal to the monthly payment so I can get completely out of debt
reasonably quickly. Then I can buy another airplane! :-)

I am so glad that you can afford to do so.

Again, DSL cost me less than $5 per month more than dial up. To me it is
work the extra cost because of 1) speed and 2) doesn't tie up the phone
line.

Dish network, my wife watches a couple of kids and that was the main reason
that we got it. When was the last time you had 4 kids that don't belong to
you all day, everyday at your house with 3 channels? But I admit, we enjoy
the dish too.

---

Old November 27th 04, 02:32 PM
Chuck

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
Chuck wrote:

"iflyatiger" wrote in message

Chuck

I feel for you man ... I hope this turns around for you soon...

My theory is that peoples complete financial future can be determined to
some extent by their financial start. You can start out the plus side or

the

negative side of it . And it can all be changed by the opportunity you

were

given in business, maybe by the help your parents gave you when you were
young ( helping you to buy your first car, etc..)
or on the flip side by any bad turn of events that might have happened

you along the way.

Everyone can tell you how foolish it is for you to use a credit card but
from your description of your situation it is understandable that you do
what you have to do... It is easy to tell other people what they should

do
but until they are in the same exact situation as you it doesn't carry

as
much weight.

I have been very lucky to have been given a few breaks when I was young

that

allowed me to start out on the plus side of the money curve. And I have

made

sure that I thanked both of my past bosses for the break / opportunity

that

they gave me back then.

Good luck and take care.

Thanks Jon...

I'm glad that you have had the opportunity to become financially stable.

am confident that someday, I will finally be there also! Just wondering
when!! haha

I have made a few bad choices in the past (waiting until I was almost 40

go to college, etc...), but hopefully it is all behind me...

sarcasmI know that I can count on the moral support from my fellow
aviation buffs.../sarcasm

Actually, the folks here arguing against paying credit card interest are
being VERY supportive of folks in your situation. Calling a spade a
spade may not make you feel good, but the advice is excellent if you
really want to be in control of your finances. If you just want folks
to make you feel good, then that is a different goal...

No, actually what you people need to be doing is saying "hey, when you are
able to get back on your feet again, stay away from the credit cards and try
your hardest not to use them now unless it's a dire emergency"

If something like that was said, I would say thanks for the advice. But
instead, all that I have heard is that I am a sucker and an idiot for having
a balance on ONE credit card.

Name calling isn't being supportive...

---

Old November 27th 04, 02:38 PM
mike regish

He doesn't get a lot of things, but you'll never convince him of any of
them. He has all the answers and they are always right.

There is a saying for people like him.
"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig."

mike regish

. com...

Old November 27th 04, 02:38 PM
Chuck

"Rich" wrote in message
That's easy!
Don't spend money that you don't have!
If you don't have it now, what makes you think you will have it when you
have to repay the loan?

A loan doesn't GIVE you money... it just time-shifts when you need to
have it.

Rich

Chuck wrote:

That's fine, but what if my credit is poor and I can't get a bank loan?

Well, what if my transmission falls out of my truck or the engine blows?
Both could be a reality with my truck since it has almost 200,000 miles on
it. In this case, I would have to "spend money that I don't have". We do not
have public transportation here to speak of and I work night shift anyways.
Don't think that I could afford $40 for a cab every day...

What about when the A/C goes out in the house? (This is one of the times
that I am glad that I rent)

Refrigerator goes out?

---

Old November 27th 04, 02:42 PM
Matt Whiting

mike regish wrote:

My folks always taught me to pay cash, which I did for a long time. But then
I found out that in some cases, prices went up practically as fast as I
could save the cash for them, and I didn't have anything to base a credit
rating on, so I got loans and credit cards. Pretty much worked out the same
and I had the things when I wanted them.

Yes, in the short-term, no, in the long-term. Where does the money you
pay to the bank come from? Does it just magically appear?

No, it is money that you no longer have to pay for the fun things in
life or even the necessities as the case may be. Yes, to save cash for
large purchases does delay the initial purchase or two, but once you get
ahead of the cycle you are ahead forever.

It really isn't hard to understand. If you pay $50,000 in interest in
your lifetime, that is a couple of cars that you weren't able to buy.

Matt

Old November 27th 04, 02:45 PM
Mike V.

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message

Hassles? Where?

Niagara Falls.

Matt, you should limit yourself to one or two meaningful posts every day.
Most of what you wtite here is garbage.

Old November 27th 04, 02:47 PM
Matt Whiting

Chuck wrote:

"John Galban" wrote in message
e.com...

snip

I've almost never kept a balance on a credit card. If I can't get a
real loan (i.e. bank loan with reasonable terms), then that means I
probably can't afford whatever it is I want to buy.

Must be nice... I don't have the option of very many luxuries, so I need
credit from time to time for necessities...

I still don't see how this works as the interest you pay means that you
can now have even fewer necessities than if you paid cash for them.

You just don't get it, do ya?

I get it very well. I haven't had any consumer debt for nearly 20
years. I paid off my first house when I was 35 years old. I get
financial management rather well, thank you.

Of the 3 "luxuries" that I said that I have, only one *might* have been
bought on credit and had to pay any interest. That would be the Dell PC. For
your information, I did charge that PC, but paid it off with my tax refund 2
months later. I paid 1 or 2 months of interest. Big deal. Dish Network and
SBC don't charge any interest that I am aware of.

I never said a thing about your luxuries, I was simply talking about the
downside of paying interest on consumer debt. Others commented about
your luxuries, but I didn't. Check the thread.

If you will read, I have ONE credit card (Sears, for school clothes, tools,
etc) that I am paying interest on. For someone in my financial situation, I
don't feel that is all that bad.

It isn't bad if you'd rather pay interest than buy necessities or
luxuries with that money. Your call.

Would you stop trying to pry into my personal situation please.

I've never asked you a single thing about your personal situation.
You've spilled your guts here quite freely.

Matt

Old November 27th 04, 02:51 PM
Chuck

"Rich" wrote in message
I accept what you say, Chuck, and agree that there ARE people who are in
debt due to circumstances beyond their control (although I don't believe
this is true for MOST people who are in debt).

What I'm saying is that borrowing, especially with a credit card, will
ONLY make matters worse for such a person (family). They MUST find some
way to increase their income or decrease their expenses. It's that
simple, and whining that they don't WANT to reduce their standard of
living (including having internet access) won't change the basic truth
of it.

Rich

Chuck wrote:

And some people like me are financially strapped and do not have the

money
to save after the bills are paid.

When I got married, my wife got hurt and we ended up getting behind on

bills
because she couldn't work for almost a year. Everytime we see daylight,
something happens and we get sucked back into the hole again.

The point that I keep trying to make is that some people are not able to
save because of their financial situation. It seems that most in this NG
don't seem to understand that.

I do take offense to being called a sucker and an idiot because I have 1
credit card that I am paying interest on. In my situation, I have no

choice.

If you want to call people who have 15 credit cards with balances and

they
buy big screen TV's, stereos, jewelry, etc on credit, I will agree with

you
then, but think about the persons situation before you call people

names...

Rich, I agree with you 100% (as I have *most* people in the thread).

You said what I have been trying to get across the whole time. There are
people in trouble who can't help it. They got caught in an unfortunate
situation and are trying to get out.

I agree and would say that most people in financial trouble brought it on
themselves.

I am not wanting anyone here to feel sorry for me. I am not looking for
sympathy (luckily!), I am just trying to point out that everyone's situation
is different and please don't judge me because I have ONE credit card with
interest.

We have reduced our standard of living. We see maybe one to two movies per
year. Actually, we saw Polar Express (highly recommended, even for adults)
last night with our 10 year old son, but we had a $20 gift certificate that
we used. We don't go to Blockbuster. The 27 inch TV that I have had almost
20 years went out and we have been watching a 20 inch TV for awhile now. We
rarely go out to eat. We haven't been to a club in years.

Our entertainment consist of watching TV, going to visit family (within 20
miles), going to DFW airport and sitting at the park watching planes take
off and land, going to the American Airlines Museum (free), Pates Museum of
transportation (free), etc... We rarely go places that cost money...

---