Becker AR 4201

Old October 5th 18, 05:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

Default Becker AR 4201

The connector may not be listed on the Cumulus-Soaring web site. But I have bought the connectors through Paul before so I believe he stocks them. Drop him an email.

Unsure what you mean by high density versus regular pins. Do you mean HD = triple row of pins like a laptop VGA connector? The Becker connector is a double row of 25 pins. I cannot tell if the connector linked by Ross from Conrad.com has crimp type pins or solder type pins.

- John OHM Ω
Old October 5th 18, 09:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim White[_3_]

At 19:54 04 October 2018, Ross wrote:
You are looking for a 25 pin MHED connector

https://www.conrad.com/ce/en/product...0-45-----Black

The slide lock is sold separately from the plug and housing. Suitable parts
a manufactured by FCT / Molex and Harting.

I suggest you find a local stockist of these manufacturers.

http://www.harting-usa.com/home/ or
https://fctgroup.com/

Jim

Old October 5th 18, 03:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Karl Kunz[_2_]

On Thursday, October 4, 2018 at 9:21:18 PM UTC-7, OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
The connector may not be listed on the Cumulus-Soaring web site. But I have bought the connectors through Paul before so I believe he stocks them. Drop him an email.

Unsure what you mean by high density versus regular pins. Do you mean HD = triple row of pins like a laptop VGA connector? The Becker connector is a double row of 25 pins. I cannot tell if the connector linked by Ross from Conrad.com has crimp type pins or solder type pins.

- John OHM Ω

There are two sizes of pins for D-Sub connectors. The high density ones are smaller and harder to crimp then the ones you see used for computers. Garmin products usually use the HD pins.
Old October 5th 18, 04:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

You /_can_/ solder wires into crimp pins.Â* Tin the wire first and use
care - not too much solder.

--
Dan, 5J

Old October 5th 18, 05:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Newport-Peace[_4_]

At 15:17 05 October 2018, Dan Marotta wrote:
You /_can_/ solder wires into crimp pins.Â* Tin the wire first and use
care - not too much solder.

On 10/4/2018 10:21 PM, OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
The connector may not be listed on the Cumulus-Soaring web site. But I

have bought the connectors through Paul before so I believe he stocks

them.
Drop him an email.

Unsure what you mean by high density versus regular pins. Do you mean

HD
= triple row of pins like a laptop VGA connector? The Becker connector

is
a double row of 25 pins. I cannot tell if the connector linked by Ross
from Conrad.com has crimp type pins or solder type pins.

- John OHM Ω

--
Dan, 5J

It is a bog-standard DB25 25-pin connector as used to be used for RS232 PC
connection.

The pin-out can be found in the Installation Manual
(https://www.cumulus-soaring.com/beck...201-Manual.pdf)

Old October 6th 18, 05:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, October 5, 2018 at 11:30:05 AM UTC-5, Tim Newport-Peace wrote:
[...]

Tim,

As you said the d-sub connector (and shell) are about as common as dirt. But one way or another you need to securely attach the connector to the radio or risk things wiggling loose at an inopportune moment. Thus John Foster needing this Becker latch thingy.

The sliding latch arrangement used on Becker radios is not something I had seen prior to working with non-US avionics. FYI - Filser/Dittel radios have a yet another type of sliding latch arrangement.

What I commonly find on US equipment (and Australian Microaire radios) is that the connector shell has a captive screw which engages into the equipment's (radio's) matching threaded insert (called an "SAE 4-40 jack socket screw").

This "US" system is very (more?) secure but it is not as easy to engage in tight spaces as the simple "Euro" sliding latch. This "US" SAE 4-40 screw system will not work with Becker/Filser/Dittel radios unless their sliding latch system is replaced with a threaded insert (and the radio's hardware is metric).

Why hasn't the US gone metric? Hmmmmm.

- John OHM Ω

FS: 5 Becker 4201 + 1 Becker 3201 + 1 Dittel FSG5 Handheld Ross[_3_] Soaring 10 April 4th 18 04:36 PM
FS: 4 Becker 4201 Radio Ross[_3_] Soaring 3 May 24th 17 09:19 PM
FS: Becker 4201 5 Available Ross[_3_] Soaring 6 February 28th 17 07:56 AM
FS: Becker 4201 Romeozulu Soaring 0 March 7th 14 12:21 PM
FS: Becker AR 4201 Don[_4_] Soaring 0 September 19th 12 05:16 PM