Insurance for young pilots?

Old November 10th 18, 10:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Graham Drinkell[_2_]

Default Insurance for young pilots?

I have always encouraged and allowed young capable pilots to fly my
aerobatic Pilatus B4PC11AF. It now seems, insurance companies have
prohibited me from allowing young enthusiastic pilots to fly my B4.
Aerobatic flying is a very safe sport-the pilots are more attuned than

XC pilots. Most insurance claims are incurred by XC pilots with poor
flying skills, landing out with minimal options and damaging their a/c.
At around 1500' agl you should have selected at least 3 land-out
options?
This could be the end of youth flying- killed off by the insurance
brokers?

Old November 10th 18, 10:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew

Is non-owner insurance an option for your proteges?

PA
Old November 10th 18, 10:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, November 10, 2018 at 4:45:06 PM UTC-5, Graham Drinkell wrote:
I have always encouraged and allowed young capable pilots to fly my
aerobatic Pilatus B4PC11AF. It now seems, insurance companies have
prohibited me from allowing young enthusiastic pilots to fly my B4.
Aerobatic flying is a very safe sport-the pilots are more attuned than

XC pilots. Most insurance claims are incurred by XC pilots with poor
flying skills, landing out with minimal options and damaging their a/c.
At around 1500' agl you should have selected at least 3 land-out
options?
This could be the end of youth flying- killed off by the insurance
brokers?

What country? Are there acro specifics in the policy or are they assuming acro use because of glider type?
Old November 11th 18, 04:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

My limited sample from gliders and pilots I know:

6 Ground Handling
9 Local including 1 XC that made it back to launch point

0 XC non-contest
2 XC contest
1 XC tow released in rotor
Old November 11th 18, 06:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Graham Drinkell[_2_]

At 21:47 10 November 2018, Paul Agnew wrote:
Is non-owner insurance an option for your proteges?

PA
Will check, but previously never a problem on an ad hoc basis.

Old November 11th 18, 06:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Graham Drinkell[_2_]

At 22:41 10 November 2018, Eric Greenwell wrote:
wrote on 11/10/2018 1:55 PM:
Most insurance claims are incurred by XC pilots with poor
flying skills, landing out with minimal options and damaging

their a/c.

What country are you flying in? My memory might be fooling me,

but I recall
that
more insurance claims in the US come from local flights and

ground handling
damage
than XC landouts.

And, I don't need three landout options at 1500' - just one good

one is
enough.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (change ".netto" to ".us"

to email
me)

https://sites.google.com/site/motorg...ions/download-

the-guide-1
- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Dec 2014a" also ADS-B, PCAS,

Flarm

http://soaringsafety.org/prevention/...ansponders-in-

sailplanes-2014A.pdf
UK is a bit more compact than USA, so the more options you have

is safer? Ironically, in France, being a large country, field selection
for land-out is often tricky due to all the vineyards! Alpine flying is
another story-farmers are paid to set aside landing areas in valleys
and pilots are advised to reconnoitre these sites before flying the
mountains.

Old November 11th 18, 06:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Graham Drinkell[_2_]

At 03:13 11 November 2018, George Haeh wrote:
My limited sample from gliders and pilots I know:

6 Ground Handling
9 Local including 1 XC that made it back to launch point

0 XC non-contest
2 XC contest
1 XC tow released in rotor
If so few incidents, why are insurance brokers backing out of aviation?

Have generally great respect for young pilots, and am happy to lend
my B4 to keen competent young pilots.

Young Soviet Pilots in Training PilotJedi Aviation Photos 0 May 28th 14 02:06 PM
Family and young pilots Region 3 Contest [email protected] Soaring 0 August 5th 13 03:37 AM
Why don't more Young Eagles become pilots? Mxsmanic Piloting 37 July 3rd 10 03:53 AM
Old pilots+insurance Tri-Pacer Owning 2 May 2nd 06 02:08 AM
Young Eagles pilots David Gunter Piloting 13 January 16th 04 03:20 AM