Correct adhesive to use to attach tail wheel assembly.

Old April 3rd 18, 03:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Correct adhesive to use to attach tail wheel assembly.

I am currently out of dry Italian Red wine. If you have any suggestions, please deliver to my hangar.

9P- I just finished a nice bottle of Italian red wine. It is now dry. Pay the shipping and it is yours!
Old April 3rd 18, 04:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The 3M heavy duty double sided tape does the job. It’s marketed as mailbox tape or something like that.

If that won’t work, 5 minute epoxy will. Yes, I hear all the cries about broken tail booms, but they haven’t made gliders with those “shear off” tail skids in 30 years so it can’t be that big of a deal.

Contact cement is the way to go if you enjoy wandering around in a huge grass field looking for your tail skid.

That’s my 2 cents, having tried all of these methods.
Old April 3rd 18, 05:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Monday, April 2, 2018 at 8:21:38 PM UTC-7, wrote:
The 3M heavy duty double sided tape does the job. It’s marketed as mailbox tape or something like that.

If that won’t work, 5 minute epoxy will. Yes, I hear all the cries about broken tail booms, but they haven’t made gliders with those “shear off” tail skids in 30 years so it can’t be that big of a deal.

Contact cement is the way to go if you enjoy wandering around in a huge grass field looking for your tail skid.

That’s my 2 cents, having tried all of these methods.

If you want tape...

3M VHB "Very High Bond" foam tape. Available in different thickness and adhesive types for different uses. It holds the world together, from GoPro adhesive mounts, logo badges stuck on your car to large industrial equipment, .... Multiple resellers including ULine https://www.uline.com/Grp_240/3M-VHB-Tapes Many glider repair shops likely have rolls of this stuff.
Old April 3rd 18, 07:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]

Not for this application, but perhaps of interest still:

Loctite Depend 330 is a quick setting two part, (goop and primer) acrylic adhesive that yields over 2000 psi shear. Set's in a minute and then grows strength. Advantage, unlike most epoxies, 330 retains some elasticity, not so's you can wiggle or visibly move it, but it allows the adhesive to bond materials with widely differing thermal coefficients of expansion (steel directly to composite, etc). Works on numerous different materials.

Couple of concerns, if you need to remove it, it has to be heated, which would be a problem if necessary to remove an item without grinding or cutting.. It's not cheap and it has a one year shelf life (which they are not exaggerating). It must quit working on day 366! Buy only what you need.
Old April 3rd 18, 09:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Tuesday, April 3, 2018 at 8:27:17 AM UTC-7, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:

I know the Schleicher booms are strong, they are laid up with carbon and two layers of Kevlar.

Meh. Kevlar has a modulus so low that when it's combined with carbon it contributes absolutely no strength or stiffness until after the carbon breaks. When used as the inner ply, it's great for post-crash retrieves and repairs since the parts self-realign when the Kevlar snaps back to its original length.

--Bob K.
Old April 3rd 18, 10:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

Weldbond works quite well and is easy to work with and non-toxic. Needs
clamping - weight of tailboom is enough, plus generous application of tape

wrapped around tailboom.

Remember to put a wide fabric tape around skid/fuselage seam, especially
front, to keep grass from prying apart.

Old April 3rd 18, 10:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

30 years ago?

I think the entire fuselage of my 1985 LS-6a was fiber glass and it had
a break away tail skid from the factory and was modified with a roller
blade wheel later on.* My 2001 LAK-17a was all carbon and had a genuine
pneumatic wheel.* I was happier with the inflatable tire since it
provided better directional stability on takeoff and landing, didn't dig
in to the grass, and it never ripped off.

On 4/3/2018 9:27 AM, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
On Tuesday, April 3, 2018 at 7:23:49 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
Interesting point, but maybe they didn't make the tail booms as strong
30 years ago...

--
Dan, 5J