Cobra Trailer Jam-nuts (loose)

Old September 2nd 18, 07:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Cobra Trailer Jam-nuts (loose)

Don't know why, but the last 3 Cobra trailers I have seen all had very loose wing spar jam nuts. When a wing is rolled in, it's spar passes under a horizontal cross bar and when the tip is lowered into the floor saddle, the spar rises slightly to firmly come to rest under the horizontal cross bar...............everybody still with me? OK, this cross-bar has 2 big wing nuts on top and the idea is to hand tighten these wing nuts so that the cross bar rests firmly on the spar butt. If not, the wing will sway side to side on the road.............Got the picture? What keeps your wing nut setting in place is the jam-nuts under the cross bar............and these puppies are loose .......all of them on the last 3 trailers I have inspected!
FIX, hand tighten all wing nuts so that the cross bar rest firmly on the spar butt AND then tighten the jam-nuts located on the under side of the cross bar. Let me know what you find and any reason why these jam nuts are loosening? I'm sure they were all tightened when the ship was originally fitted to its trailer? Or Were they?
JJ
Old September 2nd 18, 08:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, September 2, 2018 at 2:05:16 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

I have seen the same thing on several occasions.
After making jam nuts very tight, it has not happened again.
UH
Old September 2nd 18, 10:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, September 2, 2018 at 3:52:41 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

More thought on this.
I expect most who adjust these spin the nuts up from the bottom, with the hold downs on the spar, and then tighten the wing nuts. It's hard to get the wing nuts tight enough. Gotta go in from the bottom afterwards and tighten more firmly.
I HATE when my nuts fall down!

UH
Old September 3rd 18, 12:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]

A naked man walked into the ER
The nurse looked at him and said " I can clearly see your nuts"!

Old September 3rd 18, 01:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Your or you're?

For the first setting, maybe at least LockTite blue on the threads for the bottom nuts (would they be anywhere else?), set it up, tighten nuts (ouch), then let the LockTite set.
Old September 3rd 18, 02:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

There is a possibility that these nuts unscrew when the trailer is driven over rough roads without the sailplane inside. If so, some of our Trailers are much more vulnerable than others!
ðŸ˜JJ
Old September 3rd 18, 03:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Your or you're?

--
Dan, 5J
Old September 7th 18, 12:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SF

We Manufacture and ship large skidded Pump & piping systems with a couple hundred flange bolts on each one. All tight, with a successful hydrotest to prove it. Every now and then the combination of trailer suspension, road condition + transit speed = a very bad vibration frequency that loosens up the nuts, leading to customer questions regarding our competency. It's impossible to predict.

SF

Old September 7th 18, 02:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

On Sunday, September 2, 2018 at 7:18:20 PM UTC-5, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
Your or you're?

For the first setting, maybe at least LockTite blue on the threads for the bottom nuts (would they be anywhere else?), set it up, tighten nuts (ouch), then let the LockTite set.

UH,

Yep, I use blue LockTite on both the lower nuts and (why not?) the upper wing nuts too. In case everyone is not familiar with LockTite it is a liquid applied to the threads that will "glue" the nut to the threaded rod and prevent inadvertent loosing BUT still will allow manually removal at a later date. DO NOT USE THE RED COLORED LOCKTITE as this requires the application of HEAT to remove the fastener!

PS - Why not replace the fasterners with metric nylock (nylon insert) nuts and be done with it?
Old September 7th 18, 04:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, September 7, 2018 at 9:05:03 AM UTC-4, OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
On Sunday, September 2, 2018 at 7:18:20 PM UTC-5, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
Your or you're?

For the first setting, maybe at least LockTite blue on the threads for the bottom nuts (would they be anywhere else?), set it up, tighten nuts (ouch), then let the LockTite set.

UH,

Yep, I use blue LockTite on both the lower nuts and (why not?) the upper wing nuts too. In case everyone is not familiar with LockTite it is a liquid applied to the threads that will "glue" the nut to the threaded rod and prevent inadvertent loosing BUT still will allow manually removal at a later date. DO NOT USE THE RED COLORED LOCKTITE as this requires the application of HEAT to remove the fastener!

PS - Why not replace the fasterners with metric nylock (nylon insert) nuts and be done with it?

Nylok nut, to work correctly, would need to go on plastic first. Another option would be to take the top plate off, add a jam nut, then reassemble, locking jam nut against the lower nut after tightening the lower nut against the upper. Takes almost as much time to describe as it would to do.
UH

Cobra Trailer VIN MSC Soaring 3 July 1st 18 07:05 PM
2013 Cobra trailer price list needed for TA trailer sale [email protected] Soaring 0 June 22nd 13 02:42 PM
Cheap Cobra Trailer Lights 1998 Trailer on E-bay USA ONLY! flyingmr2 Soaring 4 November 16th 10 03:11 AM
Cobra Trailer [email protected] Soaring 22 December 8th 06 12:38 AM
FS: Cobra Trailer Ed Byars Soaring 0 September 22nd 03 04:47 PM