Diamond Badges

Old November 20th 06, 07:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nyal Williams

Default Diamond Badges

We should re-design the diamond badge. The original was nice; the
current design, with the 3-diamond crest at the top is ugly, ugly, ugly!

The first design called for the diamonds to be distributed evenly around
the edge of the gold badge and each one of the diamond legs had a
specific location on the badge. This allowed the addition of the
diamonds, one-by-one, as they were earned.

Those of you who saw Peter Riedel's badges offered on eBay had
opportunity to compare the old version and the new version side by
side. Seems to me we could change the current method of an add-on crest
for a new add-on device , triangular in shape, that would allow
positioning the stones equilaterally around the badge. That would
return to specific locations for specific legs. There are pilots with
gold badges who have had one and even two diamond legs for years and
years; why not let them display these in the proper location so as to
know their accomplishments?

Old November 20th 06, 10:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Nyal Williams wrote:
[...]

Do you have a picture of the diamond badges?

Jacek

Old November 21st 06, 01:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nyal Williams

Sorry,I do not. The pictures were on eBay, but the
items were sold yesterday and eBay removes information
on sold items immediately.

The 'diamonds were set it the perimeter of the badge,
very near the edge, with one at the top and the other
two low on the sides. Early descriptions of the badge
stated that they could be so mounted. The back view
of Riedel's badge showed that a small hole had been
drilled out and then 'soldered' over after the stone
was put in place. The badge weas an early enough issue
that it did not have a letter to identify country above
the seagulls. A fellow named Kaleta bought it; perhaps
he could provide a picture. He is a member of SSA
and his name appears in the directory.

The second badge was a standard American diamond badge
with the appropriate N above the birds.

The older badge is the way such a badge was described
in Philip Wills' 'On Being a Bird.'

Old November 21st 06, 03:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nyal Williams

Thanks for retrieving the photo. I believe a triangular
add-on could be made, having the stones stand just
outside and up against the badge -- or at the edge
and on top of the badge. They would be a bit more
prominent displayed in this fashion and it would obviate
having to drill the badge to put the stones on. Most
of all, I would like to see a specific location for
the specific leg; altitude could be at the top, but
only if it conformed to the original design from the
40s or 50s when the design came into being.

There is also the advantage that holders could update
the add-on to such a new design.

At 01:54 21 November 2006, Tim Taylor wrote:

wrote:
Nyal Williams wrote:

Do you have a picture of the diamond badges?

Jacek

Do an ebay search, mark completed only:

Item number:

300043467107

or topic:

DIAMOND SOARING PIN

Wish mine looked like that rather than the cheap one
I got last year
from SSA.

Tim

Old November 21st 06, 03:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nyal Williams

And while we are criticizing; why did we stop numbering
the badges? My silver badge had the number stamped
on the back; in my view that makes it more distinctive,
more 'mine,' and more valuable.

Old November 25th 06, 06:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Yes, I was lucky enough to buy Peters Riedels original Dimond badge and
also his original Silver badge. The Silver one was 7th in Germany and
8th in the world. In addition I was able to buy his photo album with
more than 200 beautiful pictures. All of the pictures are original and
relate to the 1934 German gliding expedition to South America. Thank
God that the Auctioneer was bright enough to not disperse this scrap
book and sell it in one piece. Only because of this, these great
historical documents will forever be kept intact.

Old November 26th 06, 03:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

These are the links for the two pins & photos:

http://cgi.ebay.com/GLIDER-PILOT-PET...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/GLIDER-PILOT-PET...QQcmdZViewItem

Quoted from the Auction:
"WE ARE SELLING SEVERAL OF MR. RIEDEL'S SOARING AWARD PINS. THIS
AUCTION IS FOR ONE PIN AND IT IS PETER RIEDEL'S SOARING AWARDS. THIS
ONE IS GOLD WITH 3 SOARING BIRDS AND 3 DIAMONDS. THERE IS A STAIN OR
FLAW AT THE TOP OF THE TOP BIRD WING WHICH IS LIGHTER OR POSSIBLY A
SCRATCH OR CRACK IN THE BLUE AREA. IT HAS THE NUMBER 935 ENGRAVED
ON THE BACK. IT MEASURES ABOUT 5/8 INCHES OR 7 MM IN DIAMETER. "

Old November 27th 06, 06:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

One more thing on beadges.
When you see the old one, you notice that it is made the way that it
could be attach to your jacket or sweter only by the way of button
holes. ( no pins or screws ) This determinated where and how it was
worn. Today we do not pay much of attantion to how we display the
badge. Years ago it was of utmost importance. Old pictures are prooving
my point. Unless it was on Luftwaffe uniform, the Dimond one was
allways worn in the center of your chest.
rk

Nyal Williams wrote:
[...]

side. Seems t At 22:54 20 November 2006,