A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Wing wheel from Craggy Aero

Old May 2nd 20, 01:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Wing wheel from Craggy Aero

Go back to school Tom.

Brett- Don't bother. Tom installed diodes on his brain. All TX, no RX
Old May 2nd 20, 04:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Saturday, May 2, 2020 at 5:54:05 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Go back to school Tom.

Brett- Don't bother. Tom installed diodes on his brain. All TX, no RX

I have had one each of MM Fabrication products WingRigger, WingWheel, and TowBar for at least 10 years maybe more. They are great! Thanks Mark.

The only problem I have with the CraggyAero Soaring XX Wingwheel is everytime I set one up for my glider a customer buys it and I have to go back to the old standard MM Wingwheel.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old May 2nd 20, 05:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch
external usenet poster

On Friday, May 1, 2020 at 8:47:48 PM UTC-7, 2G wrote:
On Friday, May 1, 2020 at 10:36:38 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Not exactly true. Tom inquired about a wing wheel, wing cuffs and a tow bar. I explained that tow bars were out of stock and wing wheels and wing cuffs are custom fabricated. Because of my involvement in another project, I informed him that delivery times were questionable, if at all possible. I don't recall receiving a check at all.

As far as "scrubbing" being "inevitable," also not true. Over 300 of my wing wheels are out there, and if properly positioned and aligned with the direction of travel, they track well.

But you can't convince Tom, since he is always right.

Come on, Mark. I sent you the check - I've got a copy of it - along with a purchase order, which I also have a copy of. You said you could make more money on another project. I said, "Ok, then shred the check and forget it, no hard feelings."

Scrubbing is what happens when you turn a tire on a radius. I have seen it happen with my Cobra wing wheel. If the wing is long enough and the turning radius tight enough, you get to the limit where the wing wheel is at the exact center of the turn and is being turned around a point. This scrubbing pushes the wing wheel sideways and is very obvious with the Cobra wing wheel. It's not me that's right, it's physics that's right.

Tom

If the wing wheel is biased forward, so that it is inline with the main gear axle, there will be no scrubbing as the geometry is correct for any radius turn. The further behind the main gear the wing wheel is, the larger the problem. My complaint on the Cobra was the wheel was too small for rough ground, so I fitted a much larger one. It seems like the Craggy wheel is much smaller still. Probably works well on pavement.
Old May 3rd 20, 12:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus
external usenet poster

On Friday, May 1, 2020 at 12:08:20 PM UTC-4, 2G wrote:
On Friday, May 1, 2020 at 4:09:16 AM UTC-7, Andrzej Kobus wrote:
On Friday, May 1, 2020 at 1:31:09 AM UTC-4, 2G wrote:
On Thursday, April 30, 2020 at 7:20:25 PM UTC-7, Andrzej Kobus wrote:
On Thursday, April 30, 2020 at 7:38:39 PM UTC-4, 2G wrote:
I wanted to replace the Cobra wing wheel I had been using because 1) it goes with the ASH26e I have for sale and 2) the tire scrubs the tarmac as I go around turns, putting stress on the wing. I ordered the CA WingWheel from Craggy Aero because the wheel swivels with the direction of travel:
http://www.craggyaero.com/ground_handling.htm
And the length is adjustable which helps greatly for storage. It is also has a spring shock absorber that the Cobra wheel does not have. I tried it out today and towed my ASH31Mi (with the 21M tips) around the Richland, WA airport (KRLD). The wing wheel worked great and put no stress on the wing. The Cobra wing wheel would bend inwards as the tire was dragged sideways in a turn - the CA wing wheel tracked perfectly and was always in a vertical position. The height of wheel was more than adequate to keep the wing tip above obstructions (taxiway markers and signs). This version also has improved straps over the earlier design. Fabrication of all components is excellent - no thin walled aluminum tubing, for example. The tire is not pneumatic, so it can't go flat. It is wide enough so it will not drop into pavement cracks. It is well worth the additional cost over the Cobra wing wheel - I was always holding my breath when I used it.

Tom

The best wheel I have had is the one from MM Fabrication. Very sturdy, well fitting and does not stress ailerons.

That wheel does not swivel, so it will suffer from the same scrubbing problem that the Cobra wheel has.

Not true, the other wheels have scrubbing problems because they are flimsy and they fit poorly. I tow on concrete all the time, never have had a problem. I had all kinds of wheels before and they were all terrible, especially on concrete. I had the same concern as you before I bought the MM Fabrication wheel and I asked Mark to modify the wheel to include swivel. He said to try it they way he makes it and it works perfectly. He uses precise wing airfoil to manufacture the wheel, so each wheel fits only one glider type. This is why it sits on the wing perfectly and it does not move at all. I am a very happy customer!

While the clamping of the Mark's wing wheel is better than Cobra's, scrubbing is inevitable because of the geometry of towing. I actually tried to buy Mark's wing wheel and even mailed him a check after he complained about others cancelling orders, but he still didn't want to make it. The CA wing wheel works better, is adjustable, has a shock absorber, is well made and is cheaper. And it was in stock.

Tom

No offense Tom, but you are coming across as you know best. I have been using his wing wheel for four season on the 31 Mi with excellent results without any "scrubbing" as you put it.
Old May 3rd 20, 02:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G
external usenet poster

On Saturday, May 2, 2020 at 4:14:20 PM UTC-7, Andrzej Kobus wrote:
On Friday, May 1, 2020 at 12:08:20 PM UTC-4, 2G wrote:
On Friday, May 1, 2020 at 4:09:16 AM UTC-7, Andrzej Kobus wrote:
On Friday, May 1, 2020 at 1:31:09 AM UTC-4, 2G wrote:
On Thursday, April 30, 2020 at 7:20:25 PM UTC-7, Andrzej Kobus wrote:
On Thursday, April 30, 2020 at 7:38:39 PM UTC-4, 2G wrote:
I wanted to replace the Cobra wing wheel I had been using because 1) it goes with the ASH26e I have for sale and 2) the tire scrubs the tarmac as I go around turns, putting stress on the wing. I ordered the CA WingWheel from Craggy Aero because the wheel swivels with the direction of travel:
http://www.craggyaero.com/ground_handling.htm
And the length is adjustable which helps greatly for storage. It is also has a spring shock absorber that the Cobra wheel does not have. I tried it out today and towed my ASH31Mi (with the 21M tips) around the Richland, WA airport (KRLD). The wing wheel worked great and put no stress on the wing. The Cobra wing wheel would bend inwards as the tire was dragged sideways in a turn - the CA wing wheel tracked perfectly and was always in a vertical position. The height of wheel was more than adequate to keep the wing tip above obstructions (taxiway markers and signs). This version also has improved straps over the earlier design. Fabrication of all components is excellent - no thin walled aluminum tubing, for example. The tire is not pneumatic, so it can't go flat. It is wide enough so it will not drop into pavement cracks. It is well worth the additional cost over the Cobra wing wheel - I was always holding my breath when I used it.

Tom

The best wheel I have had is the one from MM Fabrication. Very sturdy, well fitting and does not stress ailerons.

That wheel does not swivel, so it will suffer from the same scrubbing problem that the Cobra wheel has.

Not true, the other wheels have scrubbing problems because they are flimsy and they fit poorly. I tow on concrete all the time, never have had a problem. I had all kinds of wheels before and they were all terrible, especially on concrete. I had the same concern as you before I bought the MM Fabrication wheel and I asked Mark to modify the wheel to include swivel. He said to try it they way he makes it and it works perfectly. He uses precise wing airfoil to manufacture the wheel, so each wheel fits only one glider type. This is why it sits on the wing perfectly and it does not move at all.. I am a very happy customer!

While the clamping of the Mark's wing wheel is better than Cobra's, scrubbing is inevitable because of the geometry of towing. I actually tried to buy Mark's wing wheel and even mailed him a check after he complained about others cancelling orders, but he still didn't want to make it. The CA wing wheel works better, is adjustable, has a shock absorber, is well made and is cheaper. And it was in stock.

Tom

No offense Tom, but you are coming across as you know best. I have been using his wing wheel for four season on the 31 Mi with excellent results without any "scrubbing" as you put it.

Andrzej,

That's because I do my research and I gave my fair evaluation, nothing more.. Mark is basically calling me a liar. I could publish the proof that he is blowing smoke, but why bother - he isn't going to change. The scrubbing DOES occur, you are not witnessing it because you may be too far away in your tow vehicle. Anytime you force a tire to go in a different direction to which it is aligned (i.e. a turn) the tire WILL scrub as it realigns to the new direction. just google "tire scrubbing" to learn more than you will ever want to know. There is nothing inherently wrong with Mark's wing wheel. Hell, I tried to buy one buy Mark proved to be more difficult to work with than most.

Tom
Old May 3rd 20, 02:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

OK. Enough is enough. Tom, you ARE a liar. Below is the entire email string between us. You indicated the delivery time was unacceptable for the wing wheel, but you would send a check for the tow bar. I have no record in my bank statements from 2019 that indicate a payment from you, nor is there any evidence that I received one or refunded your money.

What this shows is that you NEVER paid for a wing wheel, and probably not the tow bar either. You are a bombastic, pontificating asshole, an opinion shared by several other pilots who know you and have responded to me privately.

If I ever decide to resume production of wing wheels and tow bars, rest assured that your requests will be denied.

Hi Mark,

I would like to order:

Tow out bar
Pair of wing cuffs
Wing wheel

These are for a ASH31Mi.

Need pricing for the lot plus shipping.

Thanks,

Tom

Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2019 12:29 PM
To: Mark M
Subject: Tow out dolly

Hi Mark,

The delivery is ok for the tow-out bar, but not for the wing wheel. I will send you a check for $275. What is the price for a wing cuff?

Tom

Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2019 6:46 AM
To: Tom S---

Tom-

Price on the tow bar is $200. The optional tail lifter is $50. An ASH-31 wing wheel is $700. Shipping on both is $75.

I am out of stock on the tow bars, and wing wheels are each custom fabricated. Delivery is generally 4-6 weeks after receipt of payment, but I am involved in a really big project right now, so my time is limited. It might take a bit longer unless I can squeeze them in.

Best regards,

Mark M

On 2/25/2019 1:06 PM, Tom S--- wrote:
Hi Mark,

I just called you about a tow-out dolly for an ASH-31Mi. I also need a wing wheel. Please respond with price and delivery costs for both. My address is:

Tom S---

Thanks.

(Email and physical addresses deleted. Last names also deleted, but you can read between the lines.)

Your interpretation of "scrubbing" is based on your experience with the Cobra wing wheel, probably the flimsiest, mass produced, doesn't-fit-anything piece of junk I have seen. It can't be properly aligned with the direction of travel because it doesn't clamp to the wing securely and it flexes so much that the alignment changes when it is in motion. The cheap-ass foam rubber padding slips, dries out and then crumbles into dust.

When I bought my first glider in 2000, I used one a couple of times and immediately started work on a design that evolved into a product that had over 300 buyers, many of them repeat customers. Is it the best? Maybe not, but it evidently satisfied the needs of the customers. I am very glad that you were not one of them.

(And it's not physics, it's simple geometry.)

Old May 3rd 20, 07:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G
external usenet poster

On Saturday, May 2, 2020 at 6:49:16 PM UTC-7, wrote:
OK. Enough is enough. Tom, you ARE a liar. Below is the entire email string between us. You indicated the delivery time was unacceptable for the wing wheel, but you would send a check for the tow bar. I have no record in my bank statements from 2019 that indicate a payment from you, nor is there any evidence that I received one or refunded your money.

What this shows is that you NEVER paid for a wing wheel, and probably not the tow bar either. You are a bombastic, pontificating asshole, an opinion shared by several other pilots who know you and have responded to me privately.

If I ever decide to resume production of wing wheels and tow bars, rest assured that your requests will be denied.

Hi Mark,

I would like to order:

Tow out bar
Pair of wing cuffs
Wing wheel

These are for a ASH31Mi.

Need pricing for the lot plus shipping.

Thanks,

Tom

Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2019 12:29 PM
To: Mark M

Hi Mark,

The delivery is ok for the tow-out bar, but not for the wing wheel. I will send you a check for $275. What is the price for a wing cuff?

Tom

Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2019 6:46 AM
To: Tom S---

Tom-

Price on the tow bar is $200. The optional tail lifter is $50. An ASH-31 wing wheel is $700. Shipping on both is $75.

I am out of stock on the tow bars, and wing wheels are each custom fabricated. Delivery is generally 4-6 weeks after receipt of payment, but I am involved in a really big project right now, so my time is limited. It might take a bit longer unless I can squeeze them in.

Best regards,

Mark M

On 2/25/2019 1:06 PM, Tom S--- wrote:
Hi Mark,

I just called you about a tow-out dolly for an ASH-31Mi. I also need a wing wheel. Please respond with price and delivery costs for both. My address is:

Tom S---

Thanks.

(Email and physical addresses deleted. Last names also deleted, but you can read between the lines.)

Your interpretation of "scrubbing" is based on your experience with the Cobra wing wheel, probably the flimsiest, mass produced, doesn't-fit-anything piece of junk I have seen. It can't be properly aligned with the direction of travel because it doesn't clamp to the wing securely and it flexes so much that the alignment changes when it is in motion. The cheap-ass foam rubber padding slips, dries out and then crumbles into dust.

When I bought my first glider in 2000, I used one a couple of times and immediately started work on a design that evolved into a product that had over 300 buyers, many of them repeat customers. Is it the best? Maybe not, but it evidently satisfied the needs of the customers. I am very glad that you were not one of them.

(And it's not physics, it's simple geometry.)

Mark,

OF COURSE you don't have a record in you bank statements, I told you to SHRED the check that I sent you after you told me you had NO IDEA how long delivery would be, if ever. Presumably you did that because the check was never cashed. A week after I told you that you called me back and told you had a break in your schedule and could do the job, but I was DONE with you by that time. Your memory of this is appalling, but mine is perfectly clear - you just don't fantasize sending a $1,200 check to someone. Here is the purchase order I enclosed WITH the check dated 3/6/19:

PURCHASE ORDER

To: MM Fabrication
PO Box 1623
Moriarty, NM 87053
Mark,
Per your previous quotes by email and telecon I am placing an order for the following items:
1 Single-place tow out bar $200
1 ASH31Mi wing wheel $700
2 ASH31Mi wing cuffs $250
1 Shipping $75
Total $1,225
Enclosed is a check for the total amount. Please contact me if the shipping costs exceed $75 and I will pay the difference. I will forward a tracing of the inner panel cross section as soon as available.
The shipping address is:
xxxx
xxxx
xxxx
xxxx
Thanks,
Tom

Scrubbing is a fact of life because of the geometries involved. The forces exerted on the wing wheel are the same, but the Cobra deals with it far worse than your wing wheel.
Old May 3rd 20, 08:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw
external usenet poster

All wing wheels scuff when glider turns if the wheel axel cannot turn. If the wheel fits wing very well this not a problem and you really notice it only when turning the glider while it's stationary.

Cobra, Schempp and many other older "unisex" wheels don't fit anything. Using them is based on trial and error, you learn to fit it to correct direction and then it sort of works, maybe 60% of the time.

SoarinXX wheel is huge improvement in design. I just wished the would have used real bearing on svivel joint instead of that flimsy plastic bearing. That has to carry wing full of water on uneven ground.
Old May 3rd 20, 09:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Look at the IMI swivelling wheel. It is well designed, substantial, suspended, shock absorbed longitudinally, and has a larger wheel than SoaringXX one. Also it uses the same cuff and wheel as their original so I, for example, only had to buy the new arm to upgrade.

The IMI cuff is universal and multi adjustable but its clever trick is the reinforcing contouring of the top sleeve which allows the rear of the top to flex around the top of the wing contour and to grip it. Combined with the new swivelling wheel it is excellent.

I have no connection to IMI but use all their tow out gear, including their rubber block suspension tail dolly. Their own website is not up to date but for you in the USA I see that Wings and Wheels listing is.
Old May 3rd 20, 02:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Scrubbing is what happens when you turn a tire on a radius.

If the wing wheel is biased forward, so that it is inline with the main gear axle, there will be no scrubbing as the geometry is correct for any radius turn.

Ignoring who said and did what, I just learned a useful geometry lesson.

Assuming 'scrubbing' is when the rubber on a tire rubs instead of rolls over the pavement.

Another symptom is 'hopping' where the wheel tracks wrong and rolls out of position flexing the mount. Eventually, there is enough force from the flex to make the wheel hop back into position. Definitely some 'scrubbing' involved as well. Definitely a worrying situation because the flex is putting weird loads on the flying parts.

If the wing wheel is vertical and in line with the line of travel, why would there be scrubbing when you are going straight?

If in addition, the axle of the wing wheel points to a line directly above the main wheel, why would there be scrubbing when the glider makes a turn?

Maybe in the limit, neither one of these can be aligned perfectly, but if you put the wing wheel in the right place it ought to work pretty good.

That explains why my old wing wheel still hopped on curves even after I adjusted it so it points straight ahead. Also why the new MM one doesn't.

Guess a swivel might be another out of the hole, but not the only way.