Home Built 51% Rule Under the Gun

Old September 22nd 06, 10:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bret Ludwig

Default Home Built 51% Rule Under the Gun

Roger (K8RI) wrote:
There is some logic missing from this 51% argument.

snip

As far as I can see a *good* builders center operating with in the
letter and intent of the 51% rule could teach me more in one week than
I can learn on my own stumbling around for a year or two. I'd learn
more and get things done faster. Unfortunately as I have said before,
being retired and on a budget that is not an option.

Why not enroll in A&P school? If there's a community college around it
should not be too expensive and a Pell grant will probably pay half for
free anyway.

Old September 22nd 06, 10:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bret Ludwig

Ernest Christley wrote:
Bret Ludwig wrote:

snip

Same with the FDA. I should be allowed to hand money to any quack I
choose to pull a splinter, but you can bet your bottom I'll be searching
for a real reliable certification before someone comes at me with a
knife. Difference is, I get to choose. Problem is, people don't want
choice. They want to be coddled, so this foolishness will continue.

What, are we libertarians? We are not libertarians yet, and you may
tell that to your followers!

(Arthur Miller, The Crucible)

Old September 23rd 06, 07:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Roger (K8RI)

On 22 Sep 2006 14:18:40 -0700, "Bret Ludwig"
wrote:

Roger (K8RI) wrote:
There is some logic missing from this 51% argument.

snip

As far as I can see a *good* builders center operating with in the
letter and intent of the 51% rule could teach me more in one week than
I can learn on my own stumbling around for a year or two. I'd learn
more and get things done faster. Unfortunately as I have said before,
being retired and on a budget that is not an option.

Why not enroll in A&P school? If there's a community college around it
should not be too expensive and a Pell grant will probably pay half for
free anyway.

At my age? I'm already retired and have been for 10 years. I'd be too
old to use it by the time I finished the apprentice part and the
nearest school is about 100 miles at the same airport where I took the
PTS for my instrument rating.
(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old September 23rd 06, 02:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Wayne Paul

wrote:

Roger (K8RI) wrote:
There is some logic missing from this 51% argument.

snip

As far as I can see a *good* builders center operating with in the
letter and intent of the 51% rule could teach me more in one week than
I can learn on my own stumbling around for a year or two. I'd learn
more and get things done faster. Unfortunately as I have said before,
being retired and on a budget that is not an option.

Why not enroll in A&P school? If there's a community college around it
should not be too expensive and a Pell grant will probably pay half for
free anyway.

Pell grant? Qualifying may be the tall pole in the tent. The current
regulation, effective July 1, 2006 states you must be a full-time student in
you first or second year of higher education. For all the restrictions see
(http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/hera.htm) You are going to love filling out the
wonderful FAFSA forms. ( http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/)

Wayne
HP-14 N990 "6F"
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/N990_Borah_Mt.JPG

Old September 23rd 06, 06:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Roger (K8RI)

wrote:

Roger (K8RI) wrote:
[...]

Already having a degree this could prove to be a problem. :-))

Old September 23rd 06, 07:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Wayne Paul

wrote:

Why not enroll in A&P school? If there's a community college around it
should not be too expensive and a Pell grant will probably pay half for
free anyway.

Pell grant? Qualifying may be the tall pole in the tent. The current
regulation, effective July 1, 2006 states you must be a full-time student
in
you first or second year of higher education. For all the restrictions
see
(http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/hera.htm) You are going to love filling out the
wonderful FAFSA forms. ( http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/)

Already having a degree this could prove to be a problem. :-))

The new rules even make it a problem for new college freshman who were
"duel-enrolled" their senior year of high school. Several states allow
student to enroll in a Junior College during their senior year of high
school. If in the process, the student declared a field of study (major)they
do not meet the "If a first-year student, not have been previously enrolled
in an undergraduate program" requirement.

This new rule added in January 2006 has denied aid to thousands of needy
students. It is especially unfair because it wasn't in effect when the
student enrolled at the Junior College; therefore, they couldn't have know
that declaring a major would jeopardize their ability to continue their
education.

Wayne
(Retired College Administrator)
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/N990_Near_Arco.jpg

Old September 24th 06, 07:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Roger (K8RI)

On Sat, 23 Sep 2006 12:35:48 -0600, "Wayne Paul"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

I don't know about other states but a Highschooler that can qualify
gets to attend university classes in Michigan. I don't know how they
classify them though. I sat next to a kid in Calc II who would have
had to have gone through or tested out of Calc I. He wasn't even a
senior in high school yet. He'd completed all the required math with
good enough grades to take the University calc classes.

It was as obvious he wasn't the average age as was I. (I started as a
freshman at age 47, changed majors after the first year and still
graduated in three and a half)

do not meet the "If a first-year student, not have been previously enrolled
in an undergraduate program" requirement.

Lord, you can go half way through *some* colleges and amass a pile of
credits before declaring a major. In recent years they have made it
much more difficult to become a professional student though. The same
for multiple degrees. Here you don't just have to meet the
requirements for the degree, which is some fields wouldn't take many
more credits. Now you need an extra 32 credits for each major at
least where I went.

This new rule added in January 2006 has denied aid to thousands of needy
students. It is especially unfair because it wasn't in effect when the
student enrolled at the Junior College; therefore, they couldn't have know

I had built up enough credits in the electronics area plus the basics
to *almost* graduate from a two year college. Of course very few of
those counted toward me graduating from the university when I went
back full time. The university didn't like my writing (published
author) so I had to work at staying awake through English 111 and 112
and that really was the most difficult part of those classes.

OTOH I never did declare a major or field in the two year college, but
I have a feeling a student in that position would still be denied
financial aid..

that declaring a major would jeopardize their ability to continue their
education.

And yet... they say, "no child left behind" where a high school
education now days might qualify the student for flipping burgers or
some other minimum wage job. IMO They really should be increasing the
grants not limiting them.