R in a Circle (Airport Surveillance Radar) on VFR charts

Old April 28th 04, 06:19 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Teacherjh" wrote in message

Which raises another question. What is in a TRSA that isn't
anywhere else? I know a TRSA is sort of a stillborn class C,
and (from the name) you can get "radar services".

So, which ones?

VFR aircraft are separated from IFR and other VFR aircraft in a TRSA, but
participation is voluntary. VFR aircraft are separated only from IFR
aircraft in Class C airspace, but participation is mandatory. All aircraft
are sequenced to the primary airport in Class C airspace, not so in a TRSA.

Old April 28th 04, 06:27 PM
Ron Natalie

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message news:lIRjc.5945

VFR aircraft are separated from IFR and other VFR aircraft in a TRSA, but
participation is voluntary. VFR aircraft are separated only from IFR
aircraft in Class C airspace, but participation is mandatory. All aircraft
are sequenced to the primary airport in Class C airspace, not so in a TRSA.

One thing that VFR's should note, that while participation is voluntary in the TRSA,
many TRSA towers get a bit testy if you don't go in through the TRSA-approach
control.

Old April 28th 04, 06:30 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
m...

One thing that VFR's should note, that while participation is voluntary
in the TRSA, many TRSA towers get a bit testy if you don't go in
through the TRSA-approach control.

Sure, because now they've gotta find you and sequence you. If all VFR
arrivals use TRSA services, which require separation between all aircraft,
sequencing is automatic.

Old April 28th 04, 07:27 PM
Hamish Reid

In article . net,
"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
m...

One thing that VFR's should note, that while participation is voluntary
in the TRSA, many TRSA towers get a bit testy if you don't go in
through the TRSA-approach control.

Sure, because now they've gotta find you and sequence you. If all VFR
arrivals use TRSA services, which require separation between all aircraft,
sequencing is automatic.

Idle question: how common are TRSAs? I can find only one in all of
California, but that doesn't say much about other parts of the US.

Hamish

Old April 29th 04, 04:08 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Hamish Reid" wrote in message

Idle question: how common are TRSAs? I can find only one in all of
California, but that doesn't say much about other parts of the US.

I know of TRSAs at Rockford, Illinois, and Muskegon and Kalamazoo, Michigan.

Old April 29th 04, 04:11 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Bill Denton" wrote in message

I found only one on the Chicago Sectional, at Waterloo (ALO).

ALO does not have a TRSA.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?O15B32828

Old April 29th 04, 02:17 PM
Bill Denton

Please review the subject of this thread, which is the use of an "R" in a
circle on Sectional Charts to denote the presence of Airport Surveillance
Radar at specific airports.

It appears Mr. Reid introduced TRSA's into the mix, a point I failed to
note. And it appears that a TRSA is not the same thing as Airport
Surveillance Radar.

So, my statement, in response to the original subject, that the only Airport
Surveillance Radar on the Chicago Sectional is at Waterloo (ALO) is correct,
assuming that I found all that were on the chart.

And your statement, in response to the changed subject: "I know of TRSAs at
Rockford, Illinois, and Muskegon and Kalamazoo, Michigan", is also correct.

ink.net...

Old April 29th 04, 04:48 PM
Hamish Reid

In article ,
"Bill Denton" wrote:

Please review the subject of this thread, which is the use of an "R" in a
circle on Sectional Charts to denote the presence of Airport Surveillance
Radar at specific airports.

Thread drift, it's called :-).

It appears Mr. Reid introduced TRSA's into the mix, a point I failed to
note.

Erm, what?! It appears Ron Natalie, in
om, introduced TRSAs
into the mix, a point you failed to note:

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
m...

One thing that VFR's should note, that while participation is voluntary
in the TRSA, many TRSA towers get a bit testy if you don't go in
through the TRSA-approach control.

That was included in the article of mine that you responded to. And it
may have been introduced earlier by someone else -- I didn't follow the
references all the way. I just happened to notice the reference to
TRSAs, and started wondering...

And it appears that a TRSA is not the same thing as Airport
Surveillance Radar.

Well, no -- TRSAs are a lot rarer than ASRs. Which is why I asked the
question about TRSAs (having never actually encountered one myself).

Such is Usenet, I guess.

Hamish