Standard Cirrus C-Hook

Old September 21st 08, 04:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris

Default Standard Cirrus C-Hook

There's a chance that the larger part suits a Nimbus 2 as this is the same
set up as the the Std Cirrus but larger.
The Cirrus 75 uses a different system all together to retain and drive the
horizontal stabilizer using square drive dogs and a clevis pin arrangement
in the top of the fin.

Chris Runeckles

"Frank Whiteley" wrote in message
Any chance the larger is for a Cirrus77?

Frank

On Sep 20, 7:12 pm, Randy wrote:
John,
Thanks for the link for the ADs and Technical Notes.
It is a great site.

This glider has been complied with for the the 1970 Tech Note 278-2.
The C-Hook is the same one shown in this Tech Note.

I have not been able to anything that mentions using this larger
hook and bearing.

On Sep 20, 3:52 pm, John Galloway wrote:

May I recommend that you make sure that you continue to comply with the
1970 Tech Note 278-2 for the Std Cirrus both for the hook and the
bearing.
See:

http://www.schempp-hirth.com/index.php?id=30&L=1

The elevator connection for the Std Cirrus is idiosyncratic to rig, not
difficult to mis-connect (in my hands), and requires careful checking
before flight. Not a place for second hand or non-standard parts.

John Galloway

Old September 21st 08, 07:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Sep 20, 7:12 pm, Randy wrote:

[...]

Yeah, after I posted I thought about Nimbus 2, with all flying tail
like the Cirrus.

Frank
Old September 21st 08, 08:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Sep 21, 6:11*pm, Frank Whiteley wrote:
Yeah, after I posted I thought about Nimbus 2, with all flying tail
like the Cirrus.

And the Janus.
Old September 21st 08, 05:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BT

"Bruce Hoult" wrote in message
On Sep 21, 6:11 pm, Frank Whiteley wrote:
Yeah, after I posted I thought about Nimbus 2, with all flying tail
like the Cirrus.

And the Janus.

Our Janus C does not have an all flying tail. and I do not remember this "C
Hook" on installation.
BT

Old September 22nd 08, 08:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Sep 22, 4:00*am, "BT" wrote:
"Bruce Hoult" wrote in message

On Sep 21, 6:11 pm, Frank Whiteley wrote:

Yeah, after I posted I thought about Nimbus 2, with all flying tail
like the Cirrus.
And the Janus.

Our Janus C does not have an all flying tail. and I do not remember this "C
Hook" on installation.

That would be because, unlike the "Janus", the "Janus C" does not have
an all flying tail.

I don't know what mechanism is inside as I haven't derigged either of
the Janus's I've flown (ZK-GLM and ZK-GSH).
Old September 22nd 08, 11:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gavin Short[_2_]

Speak to your Schempp-Hirth agent of Schempp-Hirth themselves.
Schempp-Hirth were extremely accomodating with the tailplane bush
replacement kit for my Std Cirrus (and later winglets). Almost all of
their staff speak English

Also see the Std Cirrus website and its Forum - over 330 owners there.
http://www.standardcirrus.org/

For the tailplane diagrams from the home page select
'issues' from the radio buttons just under the web page title
then select
'elevator'

Bottom line - fit the right part and ensure that it is fitted/adjusted
correctly - control surface movement/measurements iaw the flight manual.

Good luck.

Gavin
Std Cirrus, CNN now G-SCNN, #173
LSV Viersen, Keiheuvel, Belgium
Old September 22nd 08, 01:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gavin Short[_2_]

Randy,

I see you have already been active on the Std Cirrus forum and have taken
my advice before I even posted it!

My only observaton is that you appear to be quoting a US registration
number. The number that Schempp-Hirth (and tehir agent) will be
interested in will be the glider serial number which is stated in the
glider log book/flight manual and on the small aluminium Schempp-Hirth
registration plate on the inside of the fuselage. In German is is listed
as 'Bau Nr.' and then 3 digits (possibly 2 if yours is a very early
one). Grob and some other manufactures bulit Std Cirruses under licence
so if Schempp-Hirth did not make your glider you need to tell them that.

Be aware that the wings and tailpane will also have 'Bau Nr.' on a very
small plate which may be different from the fuselage/verall glider serial
number.

Gavin

Old September 22nd 08, 09:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Randy[_2_]

Gavin,
The Serial number for this glider is #9. This is what is in the
cockpit, aircraft log books,
original Bill of Sale and on the Airworthiness Certificate. It was
built in 1969.

Old September 22nd 08, 09:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Randy[_2_]

The bearing size for my original C-Hook is approximately 14.15mm.
The newer/larger bearing size is 19.00mm

Randy

On Sep 20, 7:42*am, JJ Sinclair wrote:
Chris,
What size do you need in mm ?
JJ

Old September 23rd 08, 01:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair

Hmmmm,
All 3 of the birds I have in the barn are 19mm, you may have a problem
in getting SH to come up with what was an early change to the design.
I'll take a look at the elevator side to see how much of a hassle it
would be to change both sides of the hook-up.

Another poster said you shouldn't consider "used parts". My response
would be; What do you think a 39 year old sailplane is, if not a
collection of used parts flying in close formation?
JJ

Randy wrote:
The bearing size for my original C-Hook is approximately 14.15mm.
The newer/larger bearing size is 19.00mm

Randy

On Sep 20, 7:42�am, JJ Sinclair wrote:
Chris,
What size do you need in mm ?
JJ

Standard Cirrus Group Jim Hendrix Soaring 0 May 21st 08 03:15 PM
Standard Cirrus Don Burns Soaring 0 January 10th 07 06:24 AM
Hook up an mini headset to a Vertex Standard VX150 or 210 radio Peter Soaring 2 July 3rd 06 04:49 PM
Standard Cirrus Web Site Move Jim Hendrix Soaring 0 December 11th 04 04:11 PM
F/S - Standard Cirrus 75 Bob Soaring 0 October 4th 04 12:23 AM