Maiden flight of the Arcus

Old April 10th 09, 07:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gavin Short[_2_]

Default Maiden flight of the Arcus

At 17:50 10 April 2009, Maciek wrote:

The wing is totally new,

Actually, it doesn't look a "totally new" to me. I believe it's

flapped as

kestrell19 said, so it propably has a little different airfoil, at least
at
the flapped part, but the wing shape still looks the same,
multi-trapezoidal
wing, as in DUO.

the fuselage is similar to XL (new - longer fuselage Duo/Nimbus

fuselage)
However - it can be equipped with an electric self launcher so is
structurally somewhat different...

And that's a good point. Looks like the electric propulsion becomes a

new
trend for powered sailplanes, and I think it is going to stay there for

much longer than the little jets. But still, couldn't they just give

DUO
the
battery, leaving the DUO name (same fuselage, maybe the elevator...)?
Perhaps, when they show some more specific technical info and more
detailed
pictures, I will change my mind.

Maciek

for more details

http://www.schempp-hirth.com/index.p...&L=1&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=300&tx_ttnews[backPid]=130&cHash=067f525889

or in German

http://www.schempp-hirth.com/index.p...&L=0&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=299&tx_ttnews[backPid]=130&cHash=6fbda7cbde

The Brochure

http://www.schempp-hirth.com/fileadm...ro09-E_web.pdf

and more photos

http://www.planeur.net/index.php?opt...479&Item id=1

The wing certainly looks different to me. I have just compared it with
several photos I have of DUOs.

Gavin
Old April 10th 09, 09:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Apr 10, 11:30*am, Gavin Short wrote:
[...]

http://www.schempp-hirth.com/fileadm...2009/Arcus-Aer...

and more photos

http://www.planeur.net/index.php?opt...k=view&id=479&...

The wing certainly looks different to me. *I have just compared it with
several photos I have of DUOs.

Gavin

I overlaid the marketing illustrations from Schempp-Hirth for the Duo
Discus XL and Arcus, you can see them at http://www.darrylramm.com.

Darryl
Old April 12th 09, 08:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Apr 10, 10:47*pm, Darryl Ramm wrote:
[...]

Nicely Done ! The wing is in fact very different, but the fuselage
is Duo XL with minor mods. There was a lot of interest in the electric
Arcus at Aero.

Let me know when you're ready to get an Antares 20E,
for real rather than just in Silent Wings simulator ;-)

See ya, Dave "YO electric"
Old April 13th 09, 07:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Apr 12, 12:33*pm, Dave Nadler wrote:
[...]

Dave

Actually I *touched* a real Antares 20E on the weekend (then carefully
wiped my fingerprints off with a virgin microfibre towel spritzed with
pH neutral distilled water, only rubbing gently in one direction, no
circular motion, ...).

Very impressive engineering and construction quality everywhere I
looked. I keep offering to test fly it for Larry...

Darryl
Old April 13th 09, 09:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Olson[_2_]

Wonder if Schleicher will ever be motivated to produce a 20m two seater?
Old April 13th 09, 07:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Maciek

I overlaid the marketing illustrations from Schempp-Hirth for the Duo
Discus XL and Arcus, you can see them at http://www.darrylramm.com.

Nice job!
Now they really look different on theese pictures. Quite interresting shape,
by the way.

Maciek K.

Old April 14th 09, 12:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andreas Maurer

On 13 Apr 2009 08:15:03 GMT, Nick Olson
wrote:

Wonder if Schleicher will ever be motivated to produce a 20m two seater?

Shall we bet that they are earning lots of real good money with
ASK-21's?

Old April 14th 09, 01:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

wrote:

Wonder if Schleicher will ever be motivated to produce a 20m two seater?

Shall we bet that they are earning lots of real good money with
ASK-21's?

And I'll bet they are losing a lot of good money from people who do
initial training in an ASK-21 then end up in a Duo Discus or DG-1000S
and then maybe find their way back to a Schleicher single seater. If I
was Schleicher I'd be wanting to not give students/new pilots such a
chance to sample competing vendors products. But they can only do so
much and the ASH-25, ASH-26E, ASW-27, ASG-29, were not exactly
failures in the market.

Darryl
Old April 14th 09, 02:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

wrote:

Wonder if Schleicher will ever be motivated to produce a 20m two seater?

Shall we bet that they are earning lots of real good money with
ASK-21's?

Are they still?

Our club wanted to replace our pair of aging Grob Twin Astir's (the
original, retractable one) several years ago. We looked at the ASK-21
but the DG1000 Club was near enough to the same price and also like
the ASK-21 unlimited aerobatics and suitable for basic training, but
with 20 years newer technology, low 40's L/D rather than mid 30's
(upgradable to 20m and mid-40's L/D if we ever wish to). And, unlike
the ASK-21, they spin like real gliders.

We've had two season's of students now do their first solos in the
DG1000's. I believe everyone is very happy and they are everything we
hoped for.
Old April 14th 09, 10:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andreas Maurer

On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 18:44:20 -0700 (PDT), Bruce Hoult
wrote:

Are they still?

Yes.
Typically "exotic" gliders tend to be sold in significant numbers
outside Germany - but there are very, very few clubs in Europe who are
replacing their aging ASK-13s with something different than an ASK-21.

And, unlike
the ASK-21, they spin like real gliders.

.... which still is, inmy opinion, something that makes it unsuitable
as a first solo gider.

We've had two season's of students now do their first solos in the
DG1000's. I believe everyone is very happy and they are everything we
hoped for.

Great!