Ventus ballast leak

Old October 15th 10, 12:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
wladkummer76

Default Ventus ballast leak

Now I have a plan of action: Will use the chapstick method and live
with the leak till the next rainy season when aside to changing the
ailerons and flap seals, I'll fix the ballast leak using the brute
force method that Cindy told us.

Since we are here at this discussion about the Ventus I'd like to post
another doubt for which I also did not get any reply from S&H. Is
there any special hint to remove the ailerons / flaps?

Just a note:
I must confess I'm disappointed with S&H because I received no reply
to my emails after querying them this problem. When I used to have and
STD Jantar the SZD people were much more friendly.

Thank you guys

Old September 5th 18, 07:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mr.T

On Saturday, October 9, 2010 at 1:21:53 PM UTC+2, wladkummer76 wrote:
Hi all,

Id like to ask for help here. My Ventus a SN143 right wing ballast is
leaking around the ballast valve actuator rod. I've contacted S&H but
no response so far. I do not know if a O-ring seal would fit in the
small recess.

Have anyone in this group experienced this problem?

Thanks to everyone

Hi,

Sorry about causing a reawakening of this old thread.

But it so happens, that our plane a Ventus B/16.6 has developed "sort of" the same problem. The bolt to the water ballast valve have simply broken inside the wing.

Anyone with pictures or information on how to do the repair? - S.H. Just told me to cut a hole in the top side of the wing, but it sure would be nice with some experience. I can't go to Cindy's place, as I live in Europe.

Thanks Mr.T
Old September 5th 18, 10:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I saw similar in a Mini Nimbus after the wings were cut open.Â* All of
the hardware was made of mild steel which, over the years simply rusted
away!Â* Very shoddy design, if you ask me.Â* The repairs were accomplished
with brass hardware and the wings closed up.

There should be plenty of shops in Europe that can handle this kind of
repair.

Good Luck!

--
Dan, 5J
Old September 8th 18, 05:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MrT

On Saturday, October 9, 2010 at 1:21:53 PM UTC+2, wladkummer76 wrote:
Hi all,

Id like to ask for help here. My Ventus a SN143 right wing ballast is
leaking around the ballast valve actuator rod. I've contacted S&H but
no response so far. I do not know if a O-ring seal would fit in the
small recess.

Have anyone in this group experienced this problem?

Thanks to everyone

Hi,

I want to do the repair myself as I'm qualified - that way I can save some $ and gain some experience.

But it would nevertheless be good with some input from people who have already done similar repairs.

SH told me to follow the Maintenance manual, but in the Maintenance manual (April 1983) they only describe glass fibre repairs. For Carbon parts they say, that one should ask for instruction from the manufacture :-S

Thanks MrT
Old September 9th 18, 05:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C

On Saturday, September 8, 2018 at 10:01:43 AM UTC-6, MrT wrote:
[...]

I did this on a Mini Nimbus that had carbon skins, under the watchful eye of my A&P. There are some photos of the procedure that may be helpful on the Mini Nimbus Yahoo Group. You will have to join the group for access though.

Mike
Old September 9th 18, 09:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MrT

On Saturday, October 9, 2010 at 1:21:53 PM UTC+2, wladkummer76 wrote:
Hi all,

Id like to ask for help here. My Ventus a SN143 right wing ballast is
leaking around the ballast valve actuator rod. I've contacted S&H but
no response so far. I do not know if a O-ring seal would fit in the
small recess.

Have anyone in this group experienced this problem?

Thanks to everyone

Thanks Mike :-)

I've joined the group, but can't seem to find the pictures. What should I search for?

BR, MrT
Old September 9th 18, 04:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C

On Sunday, September 9, 2018 at 2:24:29 AM UTC-6, MrT wrote:
On Saturday, October 9, 2010 at 1:21:53 PM UTC+2, wladkummer76 wrote:
Hi all,

Id like to ask for help here. My Ventus a SN143 right wing ballast is
leaking around the ballast valve actuator rod. I've contacted S&H but
no response so far. I do not know if a O-ring seal would fit in the
small recess.

Have anyone in this group experienced this problem?

Thanks to everyone

Thanks Mike :-)

I've joined the group, but can't seem to find the pictures. What should I search for?

BR, MrT

I am no longer a member, but look for the photo album "N8FZ".

Mike
Old September 13th 18, 08:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MrT

On Saturday, October 9, 2010 at 1:21:53 PM UTC+2, wladkummer76 wrote:
Hi all,

Id like to ask for help here. My Ventus a SN143 right wing ballast is
leaking around the ballast valve actuator rod. I've contacted S&H but
no response so far. I do not know if a O-ring seal would fit in the
small recess.

Have anyone in this group experienced this problem?

Thanks to everyone

Hi Mike, was that an album in Yahoo photos? cause they were discontinued in 2007. Anyway I can't seem to find the album.

BR, MrT
Old September 13th 18, 08:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Thursday, September 13, 2018 at 3:23:58 PM UTC-4, MrT wrote:
On Saturday, October 9, 2010 at 1:21:53 PM UTC+2, wladkummer76 wrote:
Hi all,

Id like to ask for help here. My Ventus a SN143 right wing ballast is
leaking around the ballast valve actuator rod. I've contacted S&H but
no response so far. I do not know if a O-ring seal would fit in the
small recess.

Have anyone in this group experienced this problem?

Thanks to everyone

Hi Mike, was that an album in Yahoo photos? cause they were discontinued in 2007. Anyway I can't seem to find the album.

BR, MrT

It is likely in the mini-nimbus yahoo group. In there, at the top of the page when you sign in, are links to Messages(Conversations), Photos, Files, About the Group, etc. Click on "Photos" and look for the album he suggested.
Old September 13th 18, 09:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MrT

On Saturday, October 9, 2010 at 1:21:53 PM UTC+2, wladkummer76 wrote:
Hi all,

Id like to ask for help here. My Ventus a SN143 right wing ballast is
leaking around the ballast valve actuator rod. I've contacted S&H but
no response so far. I do not know if a O-ring seal would fit in the
small recess.

Have anyone in this group experienced this problem?

Thanks to everyone

Thanks Dan and Mike :-)

Found it in the album 'Water ballast repair' from 2012 (Not the N8FZ folder) - Great pictures :-) now i got something to look at.

Thanks again!! - BR MrT from Denmark

C85 Oil Leak Dick[_1_] Owning 2 May 2nd 07 11:00 PM
water ballast leak Robert Harvey Soaring 2 May 27th 05 03:49 PM
water ballast leak Robert Harvey Soaring 0 May 26th 05 10:33 PM
Oil leak Gene Seibel Owning 10 January 4th 05 03:57 PM
Oil leak mike regish Piloting 9 June 22nd 04 03:46 AM