Accidents resulting from medical issues

Old September 13th 18, 01:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom[_21_]

Default Accidents resulting from medical issues

Mike - I'm not a soclalist - I'm a grown up. You live the life you want - just don't delude yourself that there are no outside impacts to your behavior.

I have other thoughts but as usual I'd be wasting my time to try to convince you of anything - clearly you are all set.

Regards, Tom
Old September 13th 18, 02:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

After surviving the early (1970's) years of hang gliding, and continuing for a total of nearly thirty years and around 2,500-3,000 hours of flexible wing soaring flight, getting into sailplanes seemed like a major relief. It is incredibly easy to fly a relatively modern sailplane compared to a hang glider in Southwestern US thermal conditions. This is primarily because of the effortless three-axis control through the stick and rudder and the fact that landings are usually done on wheels. (I say "usually" because I doinked it last year.)

Compared to sailplanes, hang gliders have a very narrow operating envelope when it comes to wind speeds on launch and landing. Turbulent conditions and the instability of the air are also more demanding. A moderately rough day in a sailplane might make you hold the joystick with three fingers instead of two and, once in a while, you might lose track of your drinking tube. The same day in a hang glider will probably require every ounce of your strength to keep yourself centered in a nasty thermal core. I appreciate the fact that launch and landing speeds in a sailplane are higher and therefore more potentially dangerous, but the amount of control and the tripled or quadrupled glide ratio allows more range when selecting potential outlanding sites.

I transitioned to sailplanes, reluctantly giving up hang gliding. I still miss it terribly, as the experiences I treasure are rarely matched by flying sailplanes. Don't get me wrong- I enjoy sailplanes tremendously, but compared to the violent, visceral, physically challenging (and risky) experiences hang gliding served up, sailplanes are well, kinda ho-hum . Unfortunately, I just don't "bounce" like I used to. I hope to get another 20+ years of flying sailplanes (I am 65), but I will quit when I either tell myself I can't maintain competency or some good friend honestly informs me it is time to hang it up.

Old September 13th 18, 06:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Just what MM said I agree totally! Best thrill I ever had in hang gliding just not sure I can handle it now!
Old September 13th 18, 06:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Quebec

Oh yeh, Mike is that worst of all political persuasions, a libertarian and a climate change denier too, naturally.
Sad really, he otherwise seems a smarty guy.
Old September 13th 18, 07:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Wednesday, September 12, 2018 at 10:42:53 PM UTC-7, Charlie Quebec wrote:
Oh yeh, Mike is that worst of all political persuasions, a libertarian and a climate change denier too, naturally.
Sad really, he otherwise seems a smarty guy.

I'm pretty sure Mike would agree with the proposition that climate is changing all the time.
Old September 13th 18, 12:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

wrote:
Oh yeh, Mike is that worst of all political persuasions, a libertarian
and a climate change denier too, naturally.
Sad really, he otherwise seems a smarty guy.

I'm pretty sure Mike would agree with the proposition that climate is
changing all the time.

If you're a glider pilot, or involved in another weather-dependent sport,
and yet claim to a climate change denier, then clearly you've not been
paying attention to the weather.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org
Old September 13th 18, 03:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Retting

.....and I bet you have all the answers why the wx is changing and anybody who might have a different thought from YOU on the matter is CLEARLY wrong because only YOUR opinions are right. Be careful Martin ‘cause when you dick it up you don’t want anyone to be CLEARLY trashing your arse before having all the facts and understanding of a complex issue.
Use of the word ‘clearly’ in your comment implies you are no longer open to input and have a closed mind.
Was that your intent?
Cheers
Old September 14th 18, 03:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK

On Thursday, September 13, 2018 at 7:35:23 AM UTC-7, Retting wrote:
....and I bet you have all the answers why the wx is changing and anybody who might have a different thought from YOU on the matter is CLEARLY wrong because only YOUR opinions are right. Be careful Martin ‘cause when you dick it up you don’t want anyone to be CLEARLY trashing your arse before having all the facts and understanding of a complex issue.
Use of the word ‘clearly’ in your comment implies you are no longer open to input and have a closed mind.
Was that your intent?
Cheers

and Martin is 'clearly' correct......
Old September 15th 18, 05:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Quebec

Yes, the denialist go against the vast evidence and science that makes it clearly beyond reasonable doubtto a thinking person that human induced CO2
is causing rapid unnatural climate change, to argue otherwise is only a result of following deluded political propaganda.
As such, I have no respect for the intellect of the dumb as bowling ball denialist trash.
Old September 15th 18, 10:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

Despite the thread drift from my original post, I will weigh in on the climate change comments.

Using perjorative terms for climate change proponents or skeptics convinces no-one. Yes, some proponents can be evangelical in their zeal and many skeptics may well have a hidden agenda linked to the fossil-fuel industry. Calling them names is unhelpful.

I have been gently skeptical of some climate change claims, especially those that are based on unverified models, some of which rely on speculative feedback mechanisms. In my view, there are just too many variables in weather and climate systems to enable accurate predictions to be made far ahead. Some of these variables may have positive feedback on warming, some negative, and some we don’t understand them very well at all. Melting polar ice, for example, could interrupt present-day ocean currents, which could be very interesting, especially for Western Europe.

Also, while atmospheric temperature rise has tracked carbon dioxide levels, correlation alone does not prove causation. It is not impossible that some third variable could be involved. This could also be linked to industrial activity, but what if it is methane emissions or deforestation, for example, rather than carbon dioxide? The fix might be quite different from those most currently popular.

In any event , we humans have not been good stewards of the planet and I am sure we will never agree on any unified action to clear up the mess we have made.

Mike

"Resulting replacement power... requirements for electric... is obtained" Mark Piloting 3 September 21st 10 03:23 AM
UK Air Accidents Graham Drinkell Soaring 12 June 18th 09 02:29 PM
Accidents Big John Piloting 3 December 14th 05 02:19 PM
Class III medical, Sport Pilot Medical, Crohn's disease [email protected] Piloting 3 August 15th 05 01:44 PM
Help With Medical Problem Identified During Medical Exam pjbphd Piloting 30 September 8th 04 12:59 AM