wristbands for air sickness, do they work ?

Old November 9th 08, 08:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jack[_11_]

Default wristbands for air sickness, do they work ?

I am learning to fly gliders and I struggle with motion sickness.

I have tried:
- Ginder tablets, it helped but I was still a bit nauseaus.
- Motion sickness tablets, they affect my awareness and concentration.
- Chewing various things, best was beef jerky (not a joke) it helps but
still not good enough.

Today in a lesson we had very good conditions, for the first time I was able
to really play and experiment with the glider without stress or time
constraints, various banks in thermals, near stalls, trim various speeds
etc... I was able to get back to thermals to go back to 4-5000ft, I had all
these thing I was planning on learning/improving and today was the perfect
day for it but after 30 min the instructor tried to show me how to thermal
with a high bank and in 2 spins I started to feel bad, I took the controls
again but 1 minute later I was sweating, my focus and concentration were
gone. We had to waste 5000ft gliding straight down with brakes out.

My disapointment was huge, I was upset with myself and questioned if I
should have stayed and fought it but with hindsight I feel we did the right
thing to land.

I understand that I will probably get used to it but from a learning point
of view only doing short flights will slow down my progression and from a
financial point of view, well a 15min or 1 hour flight cost the same...

I have seen some adds about wristbands that look like a watch, they
electrically stimulate the median nerve and are supposed to prevent motion
sickness, since they do not have any side effects and the intensity is
adjustable it seems to be the ideal solution for me, I can gradually lower
the intensity until I am used to it.

Now the question, "do they really work ?" they are not cheap, about the cost
of 4 x 3000ft tow so I would appreciate if someone who used them can
comment.

Cheers
Jack

Old November 9th 08, 10:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Willy VINKEN

No Jack, they don't.
Or at least, there is no scientific evidence that proves they might.
Nevertheless, everything that derives attention can prevent motion
sickness. Even having spent a lot of money for a gadget. The worst
situation is when you keep thinking motion sickness will happen.
Keep trying, and things will improve.
Drugs like cinnarazine or domperidone might help in between.
NASA even experimented with scopolamine. Those are not trademarks,
but international nonproprietary chemical names. Trademarks are
different in different countries.
The more efficient they are, the more side effects they have...
But still, they might be a suitable solution for transition. Your
instructor is always behind you, so some lack of concentration isn't
dramatic, and you still keep acquiring reflexes. After all, this is
what basic learning to fly is all about.
Open the window a bit, get some fresh air blowing in your face, and
concentrate on flying. And believe me, half an hour in the air,
working hard, is more than enough for a beginner to be exhausted.
Longer flights simply add 'minutes in the cockpit', but don't improve
your skills.

Willy VINKEN
Medical doctor, diving instructor and glider pilot.
And having seen a lot of motion sickness...

Old November 9th 08, 11:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jack[_11_]

Thanks for the answer Willy,
That is bad luck that they don't work.
Since pressing lightly on my wrist between the tendon and the edna instantly
eases the sickness I though there may be some chance that they work but well
I'll have to try medication.
Another student told me that some tablets called "kwals" or "Qualls" not
sure of the spelling work for him and he does not feel side effects.
As you pointed out it seems that all the drugs seem to have different trade
names in each coutry, all the reccomended drugs I read about on the net
don't seem available here in Australia.

Thanks again
Jack

Old November 9th 08, 11:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Willy VINKEN

Don't rely on the Internet for drugs, Jack. At best they are
expensive, often fakes, and sometimes plain dangerous.
Ask your doctor.

Pressing your wrist works momentarily, because you focus your
attention on something else, and you have the anticipation of a quick
cure. When I plan to take aspirin for a headache, I instantly feel
better too. But I still have to take it ;-) .

Motion sickness is a natural phenomenon: basically, there is some
discordance between what you eyes see and how your inner ear tells
your brain you are moving. This can result in what we call 'motion
sickness'.
Ask your instructor to keep you alert with flying, with no room left
for you to analyse how you feel.

Have fun.

Willy

On Sun, 9 Nov 2008 21:12:22 +1100, "Jack" None wrote:

Thanks for the answer Willy,
That is bad luck that they don't work.
Since pressing lightly on my wrist between the tendon and the edna instantly
eases the sickness I though there may be some chance that they work but well
I'll have to try medication.
Another student told me that some tablets called "kwals" or "Qualls" not
sure of the spelling work for him and he does not feel side effects.
As you pointed out it seems that all the drugs seem to have different trade
names in each coutry, all the reccomended drugs I read about on the net
don't seem available here in Australia.

Thanks again
Jack

.. .

Old November 9th 08, 12:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jack[_11_]

I mean drugs that are mentioned on the net on gliding sites, I would
certainly not buy any drug outside of a pharmacy counter.

So you think that applying pressure on the wrists would only have some sort
of placebo effect, I will do a little bit of experimentation.

Thanks

[...]

. ..

Old November 9th 08, 12:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce

I am fortunate enough to just about never get motion sick.

However - we had a student who suffers from severe motion sickness, to
the point of when he flew it was a case of how long before he is sick,
not whether. He tried various devices and medications, none of which
worked well enough - either still getting nausea, or too many side effects.

Persistence and a high tolerance from the instructors worked and he is
competent a solo pilot. If it gets turbulent he still frequently comes
down needing a new shirt. He appears to have accepted the cost of
occasionally throwing up is fair price for the pleasure. He bought a 50%
share in a single but seldom flies it - preferring the more stable club
two seaters.

Most effective for him was exposure (lots of 10-20 minute flights off
the winch, so really not expensive) and learning to look at the horison
when he gets queasy. Keeping the flights short meant he became
conditioned to not being sick in the cockpit. As this has progressed he
has now managed some flights over three hours.

So the caption is perseverance pays.

Cheers
Bruce

Old November 9th 08, 01:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Willy VINKEN

Not exactly 'placebo effect' (although every pharmacologically active
drug has some), but rather 'momentary diversion of attention'.
And since you can't do that for a long time, this solution won't last.
Better focus your attention on more interesting aspects of flying
that keep you busy. That's your instructor's job.

Ask your pharmacist about motion sickness drugs that contain real
active chemicals, and find out how you feel with them. First try them
without flying or driving. Then don't forget to tell your instructor.

Yes, you can!

Willy

Old November 9th 08, 02:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Derek Copeland[_2_]

Jack,

The anti-sickness pills are called 'Kwells', at least in the UK. I used
to take them for navigating in a rally cars, which is almost guaranteed to
make you throw up, especially on night rallies. The only side effect I
noticed was a slight dryness of the mouth, but perhaps you should take
medical advice on their suitability for flying.

I to had a slight problem with air-sickness in my early gliding career.
This didn't show up too much during my training, but became a problem
when I started to make longer soaring flights after going solo. Several
times I had to dive back to the airfield with full airbrakes out so that
at least I could be sick on the ground. However this passed with growing
familiarity with being in the air. I still sometimes feel a bit queasy on
rough blue thermal days flying with less than smooth student pilots (I
have since qualified as an instructor).

The best tips I can give are not to get too tense and to watch the horizon
as much as possible; this encourages a good lookout anyway.

The wrist band might have a psychological or placebo effect. If you pay a
lot of money for it and believe it will work, then it probably will!

Derek Copeland

Old November 9th 08, 03:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
glider

Jack wrote:
.... Since pressing lightly on my wrist between the tendon and the edna instantly
eases the sickness

Then I *really* think that you should give the wrist band a try.

Tony V. LS6-b "6N"

Air sickness Amine Piloting 125 June 7th 08 12:10 PM
anybody benefit once, mean therefore, then compensate since the sickness above the sentence Franklin Piloting 0 August 14th 07 01:34 AM
XC Sickness [email protected] Soaring 17 July 13th 07 05:45 AM
Anything new in to combat motion sickness? Gary Emerson Soaring 35 February 6th 07 05:38 PM
Gulf Sickness Redux? DunxC Military Aviation 0 September 18th 03 06:36 AM