Oudie vs Streak sunlight readability

Old July 4th 11, 08:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Max Kellermann

Default Oudie vs Streak sunlight readability

Had the chance to make a photo of Oudie and Dell Streak 5" in direct
sunlight:

http://max.kellermann.name/download/..._vs_streak.jpg
Old July 4th 11, 08:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T[_2_]

On Jul 4, 12:01*pm, Max Kellermann wrote:
Had the chance to make a photo of Oudie and Dell Streak 5" in direct
sunlight:

*http://max.kellermann.name/download/...oudie_vs_strea....

Thanks I've been looking at the Oudie too, have not purchased yet.
Interesting from a side view, what about head on direct? It looked
like a plastic overlay on the Oudie, or standard view from the side of
old tv LCD screens.
The Dell is shiny glass, I have problems with that (reflections) and
direct sunlight on the iPad.

How do they both fare with sunglasses or polarized lenses?

Old July 4th 11, 09:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

On 7/4/2011 12:01 PM, Max Kellermann wrote:
Had the chance to make a photo of Oudie and Dell Streak 5" in direct
sunlight:

http://max.kellermann.name/download/..._vs_streak.jpg

The viewing angle and reflections on the two units are so different, it
seems to be a poor comparison.

I suggest you ensure they are right beside one another, with the screen
surfaces in the same viewing plane, then get the camera at least 3 feet
back, ensure they are reflecting the same background (and not your
reflection on just one of them), zoom in with the lens, and then click away.

email me)
- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm
http://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl
- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation Mar/2004" Much of what
you need to know tinyurl.com/yfs7tnz
Old July 4th 11, 10:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Max Kellermann

Eric Greenwell wrote:
The viewing angle and reflections on the two units are so different, it
seems to be a poor comparison.

I suggest you ensure they are right beside one another, with the screen
surfaces in the same viewing plane, then get the camera at least 3 feet
back, ensure they are reflecting the same background (and not your
reflection on just one of them), zoom in with the lens, and then click away.

Huh? They already are right beside one another, and they are in the
very same viewing angle. The reflected objects are similar enough
(the owner's head, and my hand, both illuminated by the sun; bright
sky on both). The HTC Magic that took the photo cannot zoom, sorry,
but that's about the only detail that doesn't match your description.
Old July 4th 11, 10:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Max Kellermann

T wrote:
The Dell is shiny glass, I have problems with that (reflections) and
direct sunlight on the iPad.

Not if your eye focuses on the display rather than the reflection
(which the human eye does extremely well, unlike a digital camera). I
tried an anti-glare foil once, but decided it's better without.

How do they both fare with sunglasses or polarized lenses?

I don't have polarized sunglasses, but my cheap ones do very well with
the Streak. Cannot see a thing on the Oudie, with or without glasses.
Old July 4th 11, 10:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Jul 4, 2:34*pm, Max Kellermann wrote:
Eric Greenwell wrote:
The viewing angle and reflections on the two units are so different, it
seems to be a poor comparison.

I suggest you ensure they are right beside one another, with the screen
surfaces in the same viewing plane, then get the camera at least 3 feet
back, ensure they are reflecting the same background (and not your
reflection on just one of them), zoom in with the lens, and then click away.

Huh? *They already are right beside one another, and they are in the
very same viewing angle. *The reflected objects are similar enough
(the owner's head, and my hand, both illuminated by the sun; bright
sky on both). *The HTC Magic that took the photo cannot zoom, sorry,
but that's about the only detail that doesn't match your description.

Max

Nope sorry, the screens are not at the same viewing angle relative to
the (close) camera viewpoint. The angle on the Oudie screen is more
obtuse. You need to move the camera back to reduce this effect and/or
ideally use a camera with a longer focal length lens or take two
separate photos at the same relative angle on both screens to make a
fairer comparison. Your claims on relative ease of viewing may well be
true, but the viewing angle differences on the photos just do not
allow a fair comparison to be made.

Darryl
Old July 5th 11, 02:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike[_37_]

On Jul 4, 1:56*pm, T wrote:
On Jul 4, 12:01*pm, Max Kellermann wrote:

Had the chance to make a photo of Oudie and Dell Streak 5" in direct
sunlight:

*http://max.kellermann.name/download/...oudie_vs_strea...

Thanks I've been looking at the Oudie too, have not purchased yet.
Interesting from a side view, what about head on direct? It looked
like a plastic overlay on the Oudie, or standard view from the side of
old tv LCD screens.
The Dell is shiny glass, I have problems with that (reflections) and
direct sunlight on the iPad.

How do they both fare with sunglasses or polarized lenses?

T,

Can not compare the Streak to the Oudie, but...

I have a Streak and it is quite good with polarized lenses when used
in portrait mode. In landscape mode the screen is not very visable.

The reflection issue with the Gorilla Glass on the Streak is really
not much of a problem or issue, as the Streak is fairly bright. A
slight angle change removes any reflection problem.

Another nice feature of the Streak is that it can be used for 5-6
hours without an external battery. Using XCSoar on the Streak is a
very good 'Tactical Soaring' program/device solution. And, if you
connect a Nano via Bluetooth, you have an excellent combination for
badges, contests and records, for a very reasonable price.

Good luck,

Mike

Mike
Old July 5th 11, 04:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Fred Blair[_3_]

On Jul 4, 8:51*pm, Mike wrote:

[...]

How do you get a secure igc out of the XcSoar?
Old July 5th 11, 04:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

How do you get a secure igc out of the XcSoar?

probably the same way you do out of the Oudie, i.e. you don't.

I haven't had an issue with sunlight readability on my Oudie this
season on several flights. I have non-polarized Ray Ban sunglasses
and fairly young eyes as far as glider pilots go.
Old July 5th 11, 05:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike[_37_]

On Jul 5, 9:50*am, Fred Blair wrote:
On Jul 4, 8:51*pm, Mike wrote:

On Jul 4, 1:56*pm, T wrote:

[...]

How do you get a secure igc out of the XcSoar?- Hide quoted text -

For badge flights I get a secure log from the Nano. If nothing has
changed recently, XCSoar is on the OLC approved software list.

LCD Display Readability john smith[_2_] Piloting 4 May 29th 07 04:39 PM
Garmin iQue 3600a -- sunlight screen readability? Chuck Instrument Flight Rules 7 March 24th 05 10:00 PM
Garmin iQue 3600a -- sunlight screen readability? Chuck Piloting 17 March 24th 05 10:00 PM
Poor readability Kees Mies Owning 2 August 14th 04 04:22 AM
Streak Shadow david H Home Built 0 December 26th 03 10:22 PM