writer needs help

Old October 14th 05, 02:51 AM
wendy

Default writer needs help

I am a novelist who needs some help with my current story. (Nothing
excessively complicated ... just so I sound like I know what I'm
talking about when I write it.) While roaming around search engines
trying to find out the evaporation rate for 100LL, I found your website
and hoped maybe I could find a few answers to my many questions I still
have, mostly regarding ELTs and aviation fuel. Is there anyone who'd
be interested in helping me out? I'd appreciate it so much!
--Wendy

--
wendy
- A website for Australian Pilots regardless of when, why, or what they fly -

Old October 15th 05, 01:23 PM
Jay Honeck

I am a novelist who needs some help with my current story. (Nothing
excessively complicated ... just so I sound like I know what I'm
talking about when I write it.) While roaming around search engines
trying to find out the evaporation rate for 100LL, I found your website
and hoped maybe I could find a few answers to my many questions I still
have, mostly regarding ELTs and aviation fuel. Is there anyone who'd
be interested in helping me out? I'd appreciate it so much!

Wendy, this isn't a "website" (although you may have accessed it
through a website) -- it's a worldwide forum called "Usenet", which is
broken into tens of thousands of "newsgroups". This is an "aviation
newsgroup".

I suspect you'll get dozens of answers to your questions, if you post
them here. Ask away!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 15th 05, 02:00 PM

Wendy
It would help if we knew the premise that requires evap rate for 100LL.
In example,"..... the aircraft had been sitting for months on the ramp
and the fuel had evaporated leaving sticky residue.....". That is far
fetched but not entirely inaccurate either.
Lots of great experience here to draw on so ask away. If someone
presents a silly or inaccurate postulation it will receive lots of
comment!
Old Timer

Old October 15th 05, 06:42 PM
Montblack

("wendy" wrote)
[snip]
Is there anyone who'd be interested in helping me out? I'd appreciate it
so much!

Oh no, she's just released the hounds! g

Montblack

Old October 16th 05, 11:18 AM
Cub Driver

I remember the story of a pilot for Civil Air Transport in China. He
was flying some VIPs around on a tour, and at the end they thanked
him, with the most Important of the VIPs saying: "We knew you were a
good pilot because every morning you tasted the gasoline!"

What he was doing was taking a sample from each tank in the palm of
his hand and bringing it close to his mouth to blow on it, thus
evaporating the gas. (If it had been water, it wouldn't have
evaporated.) So it does have a pretty good evaporation rate

(To be sure, that wasn't 100LL. It was "high octane" for the time,
which was probably also 100. Or possibly, since this was a C-47 or
C-46, and the country was China, it was 80 octane.)

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email: usenet AT danford DOT net

Warbird's Forum: www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
the blog: www.danford.net
In Search of Lost Time: www.readingproust.com
Old October 16th 05, 04:07 PM
zatatime

On 15 Oct 2005 06:00:18 -0700, wrote:

If someone
presents a silly or inaccurate postulation it will receive lots of
comment!

Too true!!!

Old October 17th 05, 02:08 AM
john smith

(To be sure, that wasn't 100LL. It was "high octane" for the time,
which was probably also 100. Or possibly, since this was a C-47 or
C-46, and the country was China, it was 80 octane.)

Sure it wasn't 130 octane (grape juice)?
Old October 20th 05, 02:19 PM
AJ

Wendy:

Be careful what you ask for!

AJ

Old October 24th 05, 01:33 AM
Andrew Gideon

john smith wrote:

Sure it wasn't 130 octane (grape juice)?

That would so explain what I see going on amongst younger kids.

- Andrew