Downwind Landings

Old September 23rd 07, 04:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kyle Boatright

Default Downwind Landings

What is your threshold for landing (or departing) downwind? Will you land
knowing you have a 5 knot tailwind? 10 knots? At what point will you
"flip" the pattern to takeoff or land into the wind?

Me? I'm a 5 knot kind of guy (but I fly a taildragger)...

I landed at 3 different fields today where the established pattern resulted
in a landing with a quartering 7 knot (or more) tailwind, with some mild
gusts thrown in for good measure.

At the first field, I was careless enough to assume the traffic was using
the runway facing the wind. The downwind landing came as a bit of a
surprise, then I looked at the wind sock - oops...

At the other two fields, I announced my position and intentions and waited
(360's on the downwind) until I could land into the wind without interfering
with aircraft already in the pattern.

And what is the correct radio phraseology to say: "Fellas, it is time to
reverse the pattern - you're taking off and landing downwind.." ?

Old September 23rd 07, 06:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Sarangan

On Sep 22, 11:01 pm, "Kyle Boatright" wrote:
[...]

One can easily do the math to get a ballpark figure. Landing distance
increases as the square of the approach ground speed. If the approach
speed is 60, and you have a 10 knot wind, your landing distance will
increase by 35%.For 20 knots it increases by 75%. For 30 knots, it
more than doubles. A 5 knot limit for short runways makes sense; 10
knots if you really know what you are doing. I would not atempt
anything higher unless it is a super long runway.

Old September 23rd 07, 09:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Judah

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in
:

What is your threshold for landing (or departing) downwind? Will you
land knowing you have a 5 knot tailwind? 10 knots? At what point will
you "flip" the pattern to takeoff or land into the wind?

It rather depends on the runway...

My threshold on a 3000' runway is smaller than my threshold on a 6000'
runway.
Old September 23rd 07, 12:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Oz Lander[_2_]

Kyle Boatright wrote:

And what is the correct radio phraseology to say: "Fellas, it is
time to reverse the pattern - you're taking off and landing
downwind.." ?

This is the part I'm interested in hearing comments on.

--
Oz Lander.
Straight and Level Forum.
Old September 23rd 07, 12:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 23:01:54 -0400, "Kyle Boatright"
wrote in
:

What is your threshold for landing (or departing) downwind?

That is dependent on the length of the runway(s), its gradient/slope,
surface, and the performance of the particular aircraft.

And what is the correct radio phraseology to say: "Fellas, it is time to
reverse the pattern - you're taking off and landing downwind.." ?

The correct radio phraseology for operating at an uncontrolled field
is, Podunk airport traffic, Cessna 123 entering left downwind for
runway 18, Podunk traffic. Nothing changes. You self-announce your
intentions, keep your eyes open for conflicting traffic, and give
right of way in accordance with CFR 14 § 91.113 Right-of-way rules:
http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text... .1.3.10.2.4.7

The tricky part of downwind landings is the necessity to extend your
traffic pattern's Downwind Leg (actually against the wind in the case
of a downwind landing) WELL BEYOND (perhaps double or more) what you
are accustomed to in a normal into-the-wind landing. If you fail to
do this, you will overshoot.

There's also the issue of whether to takeoff into or with the wind on
runways that aren't level....
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...5?dmode=source
An average force derivation gives the following formula for
the "breakeven headwind," i.e., the headwind of such speed that
it's a wash whether you take off into the headwind up hill or
take off with that tailwind down hill:

Vhw,breakeven = Slope in degrees * distance to lift off with
no wind, no slope / (5*speed at lift off in KTAS)

where Vhw,breakeven is in knots and the distance to lift off
is in feet.

With the same "constant" average force assumption the same
should be true for landing, making obvious changes. In actual fact
the above formula is a slight "simplification" of a somewhat more
complicated one.

The thing that messes up a lot of people is that you can have
three airplanes ready to take off on the same strip under the same
conditions and one of them (higher powered) is best off to go
uphill into the wind, one of them best off downhill with the wind,
and with the third it makes no difference (unless there are other
considerations like terrain clearance, etc.)

Hope this helps more than it confuses.
John T. Lowry
Old September 23rd 07, 01:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

The pilot in command is responsible for the safety of the flight. If I
arrive at a non towered field and notice the pattern doesn't reflect
the current winds I observe who was there first and in what order, I
then make a radio call announcing my intentions of reversing the
pattern, I let those before me to do whatever please and when its my
turn I fly the pattern that is best for my safety. I dread the thought
of sitting at an FAA/NTSB inquiry and stating the " yeah they were
landing downwind so I did it too" excuse....... Kinda likesaying" all
the others jumped off the cliff so I did it too".. :)..

Ben
N801BH
www.haaspowerair.com

Old September 23rd 07, 05:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Sep 22, 8:01 pm, "Kyle Boatright" wrote:
What is your threshold for landing (or departing) downwind? Will you land
knowing you have a 5 knot tailwind? 10 knots? At what point will you
"flip" the pattern to takeoff or land into the wind?

Me? I'm a 5 knot kind of guy (but I fly a taildragger)...

I landed at 3 different fields today where the established pattern resulted
in a landing with a quartering 7 knot (or more) tailwind, with some mild
gusts thrown in for good measure.

Part of instrument training is to ensure students can land correctly
with a stiff tailwind (given a proper length runway). Instrument
approaches don't always line up with the wind.

-Robert, CFII

Old September 23rd 07, 06:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Burns

"Kyle Boatright"
What is your threshold for landing (or departing) downwind?

Runway length.
Jim

Old September 23rd 07, 07:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kyle Boatright

"Jim Burns" wrote in message

"Kyle Boatright"
What is your threshold for landing (or departing) downwind?

Runway length.
Jim

Controllability doesn't enter into equation? It does for me.

With a 10 knot headwind, I have lots of rudder authority at 10 or 20 knots
of groundspeed on roll-out. With a 10 knot tailwind, there is no rudder
authority at 10 knots of groundspeed.

There is always the consideration of an engine failure. On takeoff or
landing, I'd prefer to be pointed into the wind if the prop stops, rather
than having to land downwind or attempt a low altitude turn into the wind...

KB

Old September 24th 07, 12:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Kyle Boatright wrote:
"Jim Burns" wrote in message
"Kyle Boatright"
What is your threshold for landing (or departing) downwind?

Runway length.
Jim

Controllability doesn't enter into equation? It does for me.

With a 10 knot headwind, I have lots of rudder authority at 10 or 20 knots
of groundspeed on roll-out. With a 10 knot tailwind, there is no rudder
authority at 10 knots of groundspeed.

There is always the consideration of an engine failure. On takeoff or
landing, I'd prefer to be pointed into the wind if the prop stops, rather
than having to land downwind or attempt a low altitude turn into the wind...

It would depend on what aircraft type you fly. With Cessna's and
Piper's, there is no need for rudder authority below 30 knots or even
higher. I've never flown an airplane with a free castering nose wheel,
but I suspect rudder authority is more important there, however, it
still seems like the brakes would work fine for directional control at
10 knots.

Matt