Soaring Presence at Oshkosh

Old April 19th 04, 05:51 PM
nafod40

Default Soaring Presence at Oshkosh

I'm still amazed that soaring has such a minute role at Oshkosh. If it
flies, it needs to be there. And not just some booth stuck over in an
exhibition hangar between other booths for t-shirts and nav bags.

I was able to sit in the Apis last year (thanks for bringing it) and
drooled over the uber-motorgliders, but felt there should have been a
whole gaggle of gliders there. Here was my thought on how to highlight them.

The field has quiet hours until some time in the morning (8:00 AM?) Get
approval to allow gliders to fly in, or to allow winch tows prior to
letting the gas burners fire up. Glider hours, first thing in the
morning. No mussy noise.

Toss a whole rack of gliders up over Wittman, and let them slowly circle
over the campers and tourists, so people can look up from their
campsites and see these incredibly beautiful birds gently floating over
them, with just a little wind noise and their shadows to mark their passage.

Offer rides! Sunrise glider rides in the still air.

SSA could cover the camping and admission cost for members who volunteer
to bring their craft.

Has anyone ever approached the EAA about this? I can't see the down side.

Old April 19th 04, 07:23 PM
Joe

nafod40 wrote:

snip

SSA could cover the camping and admission cost for members who volunteer
to bring their craft.

Your dreaming if you think SSA would cover the cost of this great
idea!