He went down on this mornings mission he won't be back.

Old February 2nd 04, 01:33 AM
ArtKramr

Default He went down on this mornings mission he won't be back.

He went down on this mornings mission. He won't be back.

When Paul, Bob and I arrived at the 344th we were assigned to the 494th
squadron and given separate quarters along the squadron street. I entered mine
and dumped my stuff on the one empty bunk there. I unpacked my B-4 bag, hung up
my uniforms and put stuff on the shelf including personal photographs and
shaving stuff. Then I went to the officers mess where I was supposed to meet
Bob and Paul for evening chow. Bob showed up. We waited for Paul then decided
to go ahead knowing he would be along soon, It took quite a while. When he
showed up he was white as a ghost and obviously shaken. Bob and I looked at
each other and finally asked Paul what happened. Paul just shook his head,
obviously quite sad and unhappy. He then told us the story of what had happened
when he entered his quarters. When he went in there were 4 bunks, but all were
neatly made up with clothes, foot lockers and personal effects such as
photographs of family. Paul thought he was in the wrong place since there were
no empty bunks. Just as he was leaving one of the guys in there said, "C'mon
back Lieutenant, you are in right place." Paul said that there were no empty
bunks. The guy said "That one over there is yours. The guy who was sleeping
there went down on this mornings mission. He won't be back. The Padre and the
Officer of the guard will be here soon to collect his stuff. You can have his
bunk as soon as it is cleared out." We understood Paul's sadness. We were sad
too. We flew our first mission the next morning, but never, to this day ever
forgot that bunk with family snapshots and personal efects that wasn't cleared
out. And there would be more as the war went on.
------

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

Old February 2nd 04, 05:13 PM
M. H. Greaves

Hi, Art, i like the idea of posting a story at a time in the n/g, it'll get
them read, all the more poignant knowing that you were there!
regards, Mark.

Old February 2nd 04, 05:14 PM
M. H. Greaves

hey, you know i care !!
From: Ed Rasimus
Date: 2/2/04 7:46 AM Pacific Standard Time
On 02 Feb 2004 01:33:56 GMT,
(ArtKramr) wrote:

He went down on this mornings mission. He won't be back.

Arthur Kramer

Poignant story and it happens in combat more than most people imagine.
I got a "warm bunk" when I arrived at Korat in May of '66 for my F-105
tour and got a "warm bunk" again at Korat in June of '72 for the F-4
tour. Don Logan had occupied the room and his clothes and camera gear
were still in the closet.

Don was repatriated in March of '73 when the POWs were released and
has published several aviation photo books since then.

The duties of the Summary Court Officer are heart-rending.
Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
Smithsonian Institution Press
ISBN #1-58834-103-8

These are things that stay with us all our lives. Paul and I still talk

about
it even after 60 years. He sees that bunk in his dreams to this day. But

there
was a lot more to come. I posted it because I thought it was time we got

back
to military aviation which is what this NG is supposed to be all about.But

guess we should be thankful that there are still some of us who remember

and
care. (sigh)

Old February 2nd 04, 06:31 PM
B2431

From: (ArtKramr)
Date: 2/2/2004 9:57 AM Central Standard Time
From: Ed Rasimus

Date: 2/2/04 7:46 AM Pacific Standard Time
On 02 Feb 2004 01:33:56 GMT,
(ArtKramr) wrote:

[...]

to military aviation which is what this NG is supposed to be all about.But I
guess we should be thankful that there are still some of us who remember and
care. (sigh)

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

Without comment. It speaks for itself.

http://members.accessus.net/~tmcdonl...thse/Texas.htm

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old February 2nd 04, 07:50 PM
Howard Austin

He went down on this mornings mission. He won't be back.

Arthur Kramer

Poignant story and it happens in combat more than most people imagine.
I got a "warm bunk" when I arrived at Korat in May of '66 for my F-105
tour and got a "warm bunk" again at Korat in June of '72 for the F-4
tour. Don Logan had occupied the room and his clothes and camera gear
were still in the closet.

Don was repatriated in March of '73 when the POWs were released and
has published several aviation photo books since then.

The duties of the Summary Court Officer are heart-rending.
Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
Smithsonian Institution Press
ISBN #1-58834-103-8

I got a warm bunk in 1952 in Korea along with ten champagne bottles on
a shelf above the bunk, nine empty, one full. The previous occupant,
as a ritual, had consumed one after each tenth mission. Needless to
say, my tentmates and I drank the final one, thinking he would want us
to. Never have I tasted such bitter wine.

Howard Austin

P-3C Orion Mission Reports A499March Military Aviation 0 November 26th 03 05:44 PM
Mission 115 Hap Military Aviation 0 October 14th 03 02:28 PM
C-9 completes last U.S. mission Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 August 20th 03 04:20 AM
US Army AH-64 Apaches in anti-seaborne infiltration mission KDR Military Aviation 2 July 30th 03 02:22 AM