Lacquer

Old November 21st 08, 05:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roger Fowler[_2_]

Default Lacquer

Does anyone have a source for dark gray lacquer for painting contest
numbers on a sailplane? Preferably in the US. I know it is old
fashioned, but that is what I want to do.

Thanks in advance,
Roger
Old November 21st 08, 06:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Mara[_2_]

it's call "Krylon" available at Home Depot's everywhere!
A rattle can of any kind does the job just fine...simple enamel spray paint
goes on easy and comes off later on without much difficulty when you change
the numbers.....or use vinyl transfers...easier, just as nice or nicer done
and you can do any fancy font or design you want...even today fancy graphics
can be used....if you can dream it up the design can be done
tim

Old November 21st 08, 06:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bildan

Yep, Krylon rattle cans - $1.20 each at Wallmart.

Interestingly, this stuff is completely compatible with gelcoat. The
white primer is an exact color match for white gelcoat and polishes up
nicely. It can even be used for minor scratch repair.

Please visit the Wings & Wheels website atwww.wingsandwheels.com

Old November 21st 08, 10:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig[_2_]

On Nov 21, 10:25*am, bildan wrote:
[...]

Your local autobody supply shop should be able to help you out. Use a
nice slow thinner like DuPont 3602s and thin to about the consistency
of whole milk. Build up the finish in several coats to avoid
running. Mask with 3M Fineline. Before removing the fineline,
wetsand the tape edge that defines your lettering so that the paint is
removed from the fineline. This way when you pull the tape you'll get
nice crisp edges. Block out any orangepeel with 400 wet (carefully)
and finish out with 600 and buffing. Best of luck.
Craig Funston
Old November 22nd 08, 07:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ed

On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 13:04:11 -0500, "Tim Mara"
wrote:

it's call "Krylon" available at Home Depot's everywhere!
A rattle can of any kind does the job just fine...simple enamel spray paint
goes on easy and comes off later on without much difficulty when you change
the numbers.....or use vinyl transfers...easier, just as nice or nicer done
and you can do any fancy font or design you want...even today fancy graphics
can be used....if you can dream it up the design can be done
tim

If you intend to hand letter on your surface I think an automotive
paint store or a sign supply shop could supply the laquer that pin
strippers use which is slower drying. I don't know where you are
located, but there is a good sign supply house in Sacramento. The name
is Product Sign Supply 800-660-0553

Ed Sullivan
Old November 22nd 08, 10:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ed

wrote:

it's call "Krylon" available at Home Depot's everywhere!
A rattle can of any kind does the job just fine...simple enamel spray paint
goes on easy and comes off later on without much difficulty when you change
the numbers.....or use vinyl transfers...easier, just as nice or nicer done
and you can do any fancy font or design you want...even today fancy graphics
can be used....if you can dream it up the design can be done
tim

If you intend to hand letter on your surface I think an automotive
paint store or a sign supply shop could supply the laquer that pin
strippers use which is slower drying. I don't know where you are
located, but there is a good sign supply house in Sacramento. The name
is Product Sign Supply 800-660-0553

Ed Sullivan

I may have spoken too soon, apparently they are now using 1 stroke
lettering enamel. You should use a quill lettering brush if you plan
on hand lettering.