dream upgrade

Old September 28th 03, 01:27 PM
Rosspilot

Default dream upgrade

Assuming it's time for overhaul . . .

With a 1967 H-model Skyhawk, does anyone on this NG know what the most powerful
replacement/upgrade can be added to this airframe?

I have the 145 HP Cont O-300 . . . would LOVE to get to 180 HP . . . can it be
done?

www.Rosspilot.com

Old September 28th 03, 03:25 PM
EDR

In article , Rosspilot
wrote:
I have the 145 HP Cont O-300 . . . would LOVE to get to 180 HP . . . can it be
done?

Why would you want to go from a smooth running, fuel sipping six
cylinder to a vibrating, fuel gulping four cylinder?
Old September 28th 03, 04:19 PM
Rosspilot

I have the 145 HP Cont O-300 . . . would LOVE to get to 180 HP . . . can it
be
done?

Why would you want to go from a smooth running, fuel sipping six
cylinder to a vibrating, fuel gulping four cylinder?

I have a friend with a '74 and the 160 HP ram upgrade . . . his Hawk climbs
out so much faster than mine . . . I just thought logically that 25 more HP
(180) would really improve performance. Although I love the smoothness of my
own engine,
I do not notice any "vibration" in his Lycoming, and our fuel burns are
similar.

www.Rosspilot.com

Old September 28th 03, 06:14 PM
BTIZ

look for an STC to upgrade to 180-200HP CSpeed.

There is an old ARMY T-41B (C-172XP) that has a 210HP, (no time limit), high
lift leading edge cuffs and stall fences (STOL performance), long range
tanks with a pony tank in the aft baggage area. It took a beefier nose strut
to support the engine, and larger main wheel tires to match the height of
the nose gear...

Looks and flies GREAT !!!

The civil C-172XPs that came out in the late 80s (??) were 195HP and limited
to max power for 5 minutes (initial climb out)

BT

Old September 28th 03, 08:40 PM
Roger Halstead

On 28 Sep 2003 15:19:38 GMT, ospam (Rosspilot)
wrote:

I have the 145 HP Cont O-300 . . . would LOVE to get to 180 HP . . . can it

be
done?

Why would you want to go from a smooth running, fuel sipping six
cylinder to a vibrating, fuel gulping four cylinder?

I have a friend with a '74 and the 160 HP ram upgrade . . . his Hawk climbs
out so much faster than mine . . . I just thought logically that 25 more HP
(180) would really improve performance. Although I love the smoothness of my
own engine,
I do not notice any "vibration" in his Lycoming, and our fuel burns are
similar.

A friend has a Hawk and were I ever going to get a 172 that would be
the version I'd want. Man, but that thing climbs. It's no slouch at
cruise either. He took off immediately prior to me for a 50 NM trip.
I was still rolling out when he was turning down wind.

One surprise was how much gas it took me to take a trip. I was
flying a 172 (with the smaller engine) a couple years ago and it took
more gas to go from point A to point B than did my 260 HP Debonair.
The Deb burns 13.5 to 14 gallons per hour (it doesn't know how to run
less than 75% unless I take it up high) yet it took less gas on a 350
mile trip than did the 172. Considerably less.

OTOH our old Cherokee 180 made the same trip and used within 1/2
gallon of what the Deb did. That little difference could easily be
attributed to fueling techniques. I will admit the Cherokee left
about 10 minutes ahead of me (MIE) and I passed them before reaching
Fort Wayne. I was back at 3BS, had the Deb hangered, and was having a
cup of coffee in the terminal before I heard them call in.

But...I did like flying that Hawk. He purchased it new, has had the
engine majored and that is now run out. Last I knew he was trying to
decide whether to get a new one, or just put a new engine in the old
plane. It has close to 5000 hours and he put on nearly every one.

www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R World's oldest Debonair? (S# CD-2)

www.Rosspilot.com

Old September 29th 03, 05:50 AM
BTIZ

"Bill Higdon" wrote in message
The air Force had a Bunch of them, Some made it to the CAP AFIK.
Bill Higdon

they might have... but most have been replaced with C-182s, fixed gear

BT

Old September 29th 03, 07:26 AM
Montblack

Thielert Engine 135HP (diesel)
http://www.dieselair.com/

One option.

--
Montblack

("Rosspilot" wrote)

Old September 30th 03, 05:22 PM
Ross Richardson

Yes you can put in a 180 ph engine. I have one in my '65 model and
turning a C/S prop. Check http://www.airplains.com/. The downside with
our models is that you cannot get a GW weight increase and we are still
limited to 36 gallons of LL. I love my configuration. But, my conversion
is a Bush/Doyn and I would not recommend that only because of the
owners. I am not sure it is even still available.

Contact me if you would like more information.

Old October 1st 03, 12:27 AM
John Galban

Ross Richardson wrote in message ...
Yes you can put in a 180 ph engine. I have one in my '65 model and
turning a C/S prop. Check http://www.airplains.com/. The downside with
our models is that you cannot get a GW weight increase and we are still
limited to 36 gallons of LL. I love my configuration. But, my conversion
is a Bush/Doyn and I would not recommend that only because of the
owners. I am not sure it is even still available.

The other downside is the conversion cost. Going from the
Continental to the Lycoming requires the replacement of just about
everything forward of the firewall, including the nose gear.
Converting Lyc. 150/160 hp 172 to 180 hp is a lot easier and less
expensive.

I had a 145 hp 172 and this was my dream conversion. I needed the
extra climb performance in the backcountry. Unfortunately, the price
was way out of my ballpark. For the Continental conversions, I've
found that it's usually cheaper to buy one that's already been
converted.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)