Winter 57mm Altimeter

Old November 21st 11, 08:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ventus2NZ

Default Winter 57mm Altimeter

I have just had my Winter 57mm altimeter fail it's instrument check.
From what I can ascertain, this is not all that uncommon. Does anyone
have any ideas or suggestions of a suitable 2-1/4" alternative.
Old November 21st 11, 10:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Croft Brown

I am not sure there is an alternative. PZL only do the 80mm type.
Croft

At 08:58 21 November 2011, Ventus2NZ wrote:
I have just had my Winter 57mm altimeter fail it's instrument check.
From what I can ascertain, this is not all that uncommon. Does anyone
have any ideas or suggestions of a suitable 2-1/4" alternative.

Old November 21st 11, 10:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Croft Brown

I am not sure there is an alternative. PZL only do the 80mm type.
Croft

At 08:58 21 November 2011, Ventus2NZ wrote:
I have just had my Winter 57mm altimeter fail it's instrument check.
From what I can ascertain, this is not all that uncommon. Does anyone
have any ideas or suggestions of a suitable 2-1/4" alternative.

Old November 21st 11, 12:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi,

What was the criteria for the failure of the check? The Winter altimeters
are not, and cannot be as accurate as larger altimeters. Winter doesn't
claim they are. But they are fine for most glider pilots. I sometimes get
complaints about them from instrument rated power pilots, who expect them to
perform like a larger altimeter.

You can see the specifications on my web site he
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/winter.htm#W-4555

Or perhaps the unit just needs repair at Winter. They support their
products very well. A repair would cost much less than a new unit.

I fly with 2 Winter 4555 altimeters in our DG-1000 and I'm happy with them.
But I suppose I'm biased because I sell and support them.

In the last year I heard of a new brand that offers 57mm altimeters for use
in certificated aircraft. I inquired and found that they cost over
$3000!!!! Wow! That is the only other option I am aware of. I don't
remember the brand name, but I believe United Instruments now offers them as
well for even more money.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

"Ventus2NZ" wrote in message
I have just had my Winter 57mm altimeter fail it's instrument check.
From what I can ascertain, this is not all that uncommon. Does anyone
have any ideas or suggestions of a suitable 2-1/4" alternative.

Old November 21st 11, 01:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair[_2_]

On Nov 21, 12:58*am, Ventus2NZ wrote:
I have just had my Winter 57mm altimeter fail it's instrument check.
From what I can ascertain, this is not all that uncommon. Does anyone
have any ideas or suggestions of a suitable 2-1/4" alternative.

Recertification of altimiters is only required if you plan on doing
some IFR flying, not likely in a glider. Just check it against all
the other altitude indicators you have in the modern cockpit, GPS,
Transponder, computer. I find the small altimiter a bit hard to read
at a glanse, so I leave the SN-10 cursor on altitude (double spaced)
on my home page. The small altimiter is just in there to comply with
the requirement to have a pressure altimiter in the cockpit. BTW, I
use the UMA non certified altimiter from Aircraft Spruce for about
$200 bucks.
Cheers,
JJ
Old November 21st 11, 03:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Mara

this isn't true..and I don't think Winter would be very pleased to know they
are being misrepresented...the "certified" Winter altimeters (Winter also
does make a variety of instruments without EASA approval) meet and are
certified to EASA standards TS 10.220/48 like and accepted the same as US
TSO and can be used in certified aircraft....there were some modifications
made in recent years to these altimeters to improve performance in that some
older version did have occasionally an issue with jumping a cog in the
barometric adjustment gears but even the older versions can be repaired and
calibrated back to the required specifications.
You can send your altimeter back to the manufacturer (I also accept winter
instruments here that I ship for my customers to the manufacturer for
repairs) for update, overhaul and re-calibration if needed and you'll find
they are very good with their support and service and always stand behind
every product they produce. Winter does recommend periodic re-calibration,
just like nearly all altimeter manufacturers
tim
Please visit the Wings & Wheels website at www.wingsandwheels.com

"Ventus2NZ" wrote in message
I have just had my Winter 57mm altimeter fail it's instrument check.
From what I can ascertain, this is not all that uncommon. Does anyone
have any ideas or suggestions of a suitable 2-1/4" alternative.

signature database 6648 (20111121) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 6648 (20111121) __________

http://www.eset.com

Old November 21st 11, 06:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Tim,

Which part of my statement below wasn't true? I love Winter altimeters and
all their products. But the specifications sheet shows that they have less
precision than larger altimeters - which is fine with me and most glider
pilots. I didn't say they were bad, just not as precise. Customers that
understand that are very happy with them - myself included.

Paul Remde

Old November 21st 11, 06:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions of a suitable 2-1/4" alternative.

Aerosonic makes some really nice 2-1/4 units.

-Paul
Old November 21st 11, 07:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ventus2NZ

Thank you for all your replies.

My Ventus 2cT is operated under the manufacturers type certificate in
New Zealand, therefore it has to have certified instruments fitted.
The instruments must pass the 2 yearly calibration checks. At 18,000
ft mine is 320 feet out. The calibration table requires it to be +/-
120 ft at that altitude. At sea level to around 10,000 ft it is good
then the calibration goes way out and come right again through 21,000
ft. (I know they are only certified to 20,000 ft).

Thanks again, I think I may just order a new one and get a calibration
check done before I install it in my glider.

Please visit the Wings & Wheels website at www.wingsandwheels.com

"Ventus2NZ" wrote in message
I have just had my Winter 57mm altimeter fail it's instrument check.
From what I can ascertain, this is not all that uncommon. Does anyone
have any ideas or suggestions of a suitable 2-1/4" alternative.

signature database 6648 (20111121) __________

http://www.eset.com

signature database 6648 (20111121) __________

http://www.eset.com

signature database 6649 (20111121) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 6649 (20111121) __________

http://www.eset.com

Winter 57mm Altimeter for sale Juanman Soaring 0 May 13th 10 08:06 PM
Winter altimeter for sale [email protected] Soaring 3 January 25th 10 09:39 PM
WTB: used 57mm Altimeter OR swap for 80mm Altimeter joesimmers Soaring 0 November 3rd 09 11:59 AM
Winter altimeter error bumper Soaring 6 October 29th 04 03:32 PM
WTB: Winter 2 1/4" altimeter Greg Arnold Soaring 1 May 1st 04 07:35 PM