Microair M760 Intermittentent Transmit

Old March 29th 13, 03:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Microair M760 Intermittentent Transmit

On Friday, March 29, 2013 11:30:30 AM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
Update: Taking off the front panel and pressing the processor chip into its socket seems to have solved my problem. Thankfully there's no need for shipping. "Dan Marotta" wrote in message ... No luck with the new wiring. And no luck finding the service bulletin. I've brought the radio home and will be shipping it off for repair and or updating. "Dan Marotta" wrote in message ... Do you have any information on the tech note? I'll be searching the web... snip This is a common symptom of a problem with the socket that the main processor chip seats in. There was a tech note on how to clear this symptom by removal, cleaning of contacts, and reinstalling. A later service bulletin defines a more permanent fix to be done by repair shops. UH

That is what the service bulletin described.
Problem will eventually return, but this works until you get permannt mod.
UH
Old March 30th 13, 12:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I spoke with the man at Microairusa.com and he told me that the problem was
with radios manufactured with the older black socket and not the newer brown
socket. Mine has a brown socket.

It's a much smaller price to remove a couple of screws and push than to pack
and ship the unit (which I will do if the "push" doesn't restore it to life
should the problem resurface).

Old March 31st 13, 03:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

No luck with the new wiring. And no
luck finding the service bulletin.

Microair removed all the SBs from public access. I think that
happened when ownership changed but not sure of that.

I have several of the SB, including this one, on file and can send you
if you pm me.

Andy
Old April 1st 13, 04:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Thanks, Andy, but I'm not sure that will be necessary.

Microair sent me the applicable SB *and* put me in contact with the Rick at
Microairusa.com.

When I bought my glider it had a rather delicate master switch and, since
then, I've added a transponder. I'm wondering if the switch can not handle
the extra current of the transponder and/or is slowly increasing in
resistance and failing. I find that the transmitter works first thing and,
after everything is up and running, it stops modulating.

I'm going to try connecting the radio directly to the battery bus, via fuse,
upstream of the master switch and see if that takes care of the problem.

I've been wanting to replace the single DPDT switch with two SPST switches.
Then I can switch batteries without interrupting power.

Old April 2nd 13, 12:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I switched the dc input to the radio to the hot side of the switch (on a
terminal strip) and it seems to be working. I'll need a few successful
flights before I call it good. If it fails to modulate again, I'll ship it
to microairusa for repair.

Old April 2nd 13, 02:10 AM
dbrunone dbrunone is offline
Member

Does anyone know the negative effects of connecting the mic ground to power ground instead of pin 2 on this radio? Previous owner wired my glider like that...
Old April 2nd 13, 02:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Does anyone know the negative effects of connecting the mic ground to power ground instead of pin 2 on this radio?

None: According to the M760 manual Rev-P that is how it's supposed to be done. I recall hearing from the repair shop that either is okay and to use what's easiest for your installation.
Old April 2nd 13, 04:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JohnDeRosa

On Apr 1, 6:29*pm, "Dan Marotta" wrote:
I switched the dc input to the radio to the hot side of the switch (on a
terminal strip) and it seems to be working. *I'll need a few successful
flights before I call it good. *If it fails to modulate again, I'll ship it
to microairusa for repair.

Dan - It seems hard to believe that the switch is your glider is so
"weak" that it cannot handle the amperage of your instruments. When
you say "delicate" could the switch be damaged? If it is intermittent
it could have built up some oxidation or carbon which is acting like a
resistor limiting the voltage to your devices. I've never seen this
myself but it is possible. Of course replacing the switch with
something NOT from Radio Shack is the next approach. Look for name
brands like Switchcraft, Alco or C&K. Maybe I am stating the obvious.

- John
Old April 2nd 13, 05:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Interesting.

The manual for my radio calls for pin 2 to be used for the mic ground. A
friend at the airport has a later version and his has pin 2 open. I may ask
him to loan me his radio (since it's not installed in his project yet) for
troubleshooting and I've asked Graham at Microair in Australia for guidance
on wiring.

Old April 2nd 13, 05:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Thanks, John.

The switch was already installed in my glider when I bought it and I've
upped the current demand with the installation of the transponder.

It's my intent (someday) to replace the DPDT with a couple of SPST switches
(one for each battery) and I'll buy them at the local electronics supply
store, not Radioshack (and they'll be beefy, literally and figuratively, and
designed for dc).

In the mean time, I find a 1.1v drop when all equipment is turned on and I
key the mic (down to about 13.9v), but that shouldn't prevent modulation.
My 14v battery is about 2 years old and is maintained on a smart charger.

"JohnDeRosa" wrote in message
On Apr 1, 6:29 pm, "Dan Marotta" wrote:
I switched the dc input to the radio to the hot side of the switch (on a
terminal strip) and it seems to be working. I'll need a few successful
flights before I call it good. If it fails to modulate again, I'll ship it
to microairusa for repair.

Dan - It seems hard to believe that the switch is your glider is so
"weak" that it cannot handle the amperage of your instruments. When
you say "delicate" could the switch be damaged? If it is intermittent
it could have built up some oxidation or carbon which is acting like a
resistor limiting the voltage to your devices. I've never seen this
myself but it is possible. Of course replacing the switch with
something NOT from Radio Shack is the next approach. Look for name
brands like Switchcraft, Alco or C&K. Maybe I am stating the obvious.

- John

Black Box Recovery - Why Not Transmit? Bertie the Bunyip[_28_] Piloting 0 July 4th 09 11:14 PM
Microair M760 Keith Morgan Soaring 4 July 27th 08 03:01 AM
Microair M760 Keith Morgan Soaring 1 July 24th 08 12:45 AM
Parts for sale Microair radio and Microair transponder User Home Built 2 December 14th 05 11:23 PM
radio transmit power? Cub Driver Piloting 2 September 27th 04 07:10 PM