different helos

Old December 30th 04, 08:05 PM
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

Default different helos

Being an Editor/Publisher of the Experimental Helo magazine has some
advantages. In three days, I flew 5 different helicopters. #1 Hummingbird:
A 4 seat nearly certified kit helicopter based on the Sikorsky S52. An
article about this smooth load hauler will be in the March issue. No
hydraulic boost on the controls, but none was needed. Cyclic was smooth and
relatively lightly loaded.
#2,3, & 4 were 3 different Safaris with different blades and different
control system. Quite a bit of the 2/rev vibration has been reduced with
these mods.
The 5th. I was allowed to fly a Mosquito ultra lite helicopter. Because
this was my first experience of checking my self out in a helicopter with no
dual, it was the Coup d'Gras.... The single seat little bird weighed just
above 300#. Yep I know that is above the 254# ultra lite limit, but with
floats, the Mosquito qualifies as an ultra lite. In less than 2 minutes I
was hover taxiing around the field. Since it has a two stroke engine, (I
used to race two stroke motorcycles and have experiences that caution me
about two strokes in aircraft) and I had only a few minutes stick time, I
did not put it in the air. The owner, however, buzzed about showing the
maneuverability of the little "BUG".
I had heard that all three of the people known to me to be flying the
Mosquitos have taught themselves to fly. I couldn't really believe this was
possible in an ultra lite helicopter that I believed would be a squirrelly
little hand full. I was wrong. The owner of this ship had no prior flying
experience, just a bunch of talking, reading and listening to others. He
flew the little bird about the field like he was an experienced pilot. He
surely is "recreating" in his little inexpensive helicopter. I hope that he
continues to do it safely.
Needless to say, the March issue of Experimental Helo magazine will have
more to say about this little bird.
Stu Fields

High Helos? Robert M. Gary Piloting 24 October 16th 04 05:46 AM
repost of "what are the main vulnerability points of "hardened" helos like the apache? " s.p.i. Military Aviation 0 December 12th 03 08:45 PM
what are the main vulnerability points of "hardened" helos like the apache? w.a. manning Military Aviation 3 December 11th 03 06:02 AM
Tall pilots in Helo's... BEEPER708 Rotorcraft 5 September 5th 03 05:05 AM