Trip report: Cirrus SR-22 demo flight

Old September 22nd 06, 04:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

Default Trip report: Cirrus SR-22 demo flight

You didn't mention how it handled in the bumps, below clouds on the return flight. How did it handle then?

It handled fine in the bumps. I don't remember when (or even if there
was a specific point at which) I became aware of the somewhat unnatural
(or perhaps just unfamiliar) feel of the bungee forces (rather than the
aerodynamic forces) on the control stick, but it might have been that
the way the aircraft handled in the bumps contributed to identifying the
issue. You can't (while hand flying) let your attention wander from the
altimeter though, pitch trim is crucial and very sensitive. You'll find
yourself climbing or descending unawares if you don't keep on top of that.

A few other points I forgot to mention. Presumably because of the
issues Cirrus had with the brakes, there is a little blue dot on each
main gear to check during preflight. If it's no longer blue, that means
"something is wrong" (I presume it indicates the brakes had overheated)
and should be checked further. Also the windows don't open. There is
no little window to shout "clear" out of (though you could easily open
the gull door), and no window to open for photography. And when seated
at the controls, my knees were close to the bottom of the control panel
- a tighter fit than I am used to.

The flight computers give wind speed and direction, calculated from
heading and track information. This is pretty cool. If would be nice
if one of the approach chart configurations gave the (enlarged) plan
view as well as the comm strip at the same time.

An awesome machine to be sure. Now all we need is a return of some irrational exuberance and I can upgrade from my Cherokee!

My offer still stands. If anybody wants to send me a half million
dollars, I'll be happy to keep it warm for you. I'll even do it with a
quarter million dollars, if you happen to be out of change at the
moment. How's that for irrational exuberance?

Jose
--
"Never trust anything that can think for itself, if you can't see where
it keeps its brain." (chapter 10 of book 3 - Harry Potter).
Old September 22nd 06, 08:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
Jose wrote:

[...]

I got to fly an SR-22 in a formation flight a couple of weeks ago. I
found that there were significant breakout forces in the control system
(friction) and that the single power control had some dead spots in it,
which made precision flying difficult. The owner, however, did not have
much trouble, as he was used to those characteristics.
Old September 22nd 06, 08:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

I got to fly an SR-22 in a formation flight a couple of weeks ago. I
found that there were significant breakout forces in the control system
(friction)

There is a significant initial force required to deflect the control
from center, but once deflected, it did not take proportionally more
force to deflect it further. It was definately a "snap to center" type
of stick. Is this what you are referring to?

and that the single power control had some dead spots in it

I didn't fly it enough to notice that, however I did notice that when
reducing power in the pattern (it has to be reduced a lot!) there =seem=
to be areas where the reduction seems nonlinear. This could however be
due to the power computer adjusting its propeller pitch parameters.
Twice in the pattern wasn't enough to nail that down, beyond "gee, I
noticed that".

The owner, however, did not have
much trouble, as he was used to those characteristics.

Every plane has its character.

Jose
Old September 22nd 06, 11:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
Jose wrote:

I got to fly an SR-22 in a formation flight a couple of weeks ago. I
found that there were significant breakout forces in the control system
(friction)

There is a significant initial force required to deflect the control
from center, but once deflected, it did not take proportionally more
force to deflect it further. It was definately a "snap to center" type
of stick. Is this what you are referring to?

Yes -- it makes precision flying difficult.

and that the single power control had some dead spots in it

I didn't fly it enough to notice that, however I did notice that when
reducing power in the pattern (it has to be reduced a lot!) there =seem=
to be areas where the reduction seems nonlinear. This could however be
due to the power computer adjusting its propeller pitch parameters.
Twice in the pattern wasn't enough to nail that down, beyond "gee, I
noticed that".

The owner explained that there is a cam connecting throttle and prop
control and that it has a deadband.

The owner, however, did not have
much trouble, as he was used to those characteristics.

Every plane has its character.

So does every Newsgroup. :)