Rumsfeld's on Bravery

Old December 15th 03, 08:19 AM
Gene Storey

Default Rumsfeld's on Bravery

CNN reports:

"In the last analysis, he seemed not terribly brave," Rumsfeld said.

About 600 soldiers of the 1st Brigade, 4th Infantry Division, and
special operations forces of Task Force 121 conducted the raid in
Ad Dawr, near a group of ramshackle buildings. They found Saddam
hiding in a 6- to 8-foot-deep hole, equipped with a basic ventilation
system and covered with bricks and dirt.

What's Saddam going to do? Use his pistol against anti-tank weapons
like his sons? He was never considered stupid. I'm beginning to think
Rumsfeld might be talking through his ass again.

--
"You won't find me out waving a flag, but you may find my boot
up your ass"--Gunny Dobbs, USMC

Old December 15th 03, 09:28 AM
Ragnar

"Gene Storey" wrote in message
news8eDb.1882$6l1.1440@okepread03...
CNN reports:

"In the last analysis, he seemed not terribly brave," Rumsfeld said.

About 600 soldiers of the 1st Brigade, 4th Infantry Division, and
special operations forces of Task Force 121 conducted the raid in
Ad Dawr, near a group of ramshackle buildings. They found Saddam
hiding in a 6- to 8-foot-deep hole, equipped with a basic

ventilation
system and covered with bricks and dirt.

What's Saddam going to do? Use his pistol against anti-tank weapons
like his sons? He was never considered stupid. I'm beginning to think
Rumsfeld might be talking through his ass again.

Saddam has always been characterized as a guy who would go down shooting.
He himself has professed many times his willingness to die for the Iraqi
people. Seems he'll get his chance after all.

Old December 15th 03, 10:53 AM
David Bromage

Ragnar wrote:
Saddam has always been characterized as a guy who would go down shooting.

Saddam been pretty consistent about not doing what everybody predicted
he would do.

Cheers
David

Old December 15th 03, 11:34 AM
M. J. Powell

In message o8eDb.1882$6l1.1440@okepread03, Gene Storey
writes
CNN reports:

"In the last analysis, he seemed not terribly brave," Rumsfeld said.

About 600 soldiers of the 1st Brigade, 4th Infantry Division, and
special operations forces of Task Force 121 conducted the raid in
Ad Dawr, near a group of ramshackle buildings. They found Saddam
hiding in a 6- to 8-foot-deep hole, equipped with a basic ventilation
system and covered with bricks and dirt.

What's Saddam going to do? Use his pistol against anti-tank weapons
like his sons? He was never considered stupid. I'm beginning to think
Rumsfeld might be talking through his ass again.

He had an AK47 and a white-and-orange taxi. He could have made a
death-or-glory charge...

Mike
--
M.J.Powell
Old December 15th 03, 12:42 PM
Gene Storey

"M. J. Powell" wrote
Gene Storey writes
CNN reports:

"In the last analysis, he seemed not terribly brave," Rumsfeld said.

About 600 soldiers of the 1st Brigade, 4th Infantry Division, and
special operations forces of Task Force 121 conducted the raid in
Ad Dawr, near a group of ramshackle buildings. They found Saddam
hiding in a 6- to 8-foot-deep hole, equipped with a basic ventilation
system and covered with bricks and dirt.

What's Saddam going to do? Use his pistol against anti-tank weapons
like his sons? He was never considered stupid. I'm beginning to think
Rumsfeld might be talking through his ass again.

He had an AK47 and a white-and-orange taxi. He could have made a
death-or-glory charge...

Sure. Just like the 507th.

Old December 15th 03, 12:57 PM
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

B2431 wrote:
Saddam paid the families of suicide bombers, promised to go down
fighting and called on others to fight to the very end. He caved. If
he was really smart he would have made the U.S. soldiers kill him
thereby making him a martyr.

That reminds me of another brave Middle Eastern leader, Yasser Arafat. After
whining about the Israelis outside his door and how much he wanted to die and
become a martyr, he refused to open the door. I'm sure the Israelis would have
been happy to oblige him.

These guys are always braver than hell, particularly when they're talking about
someone else dying. No sacrifice is too great. Insha'h Allah.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

http://www.mortimerschnerd.com

Old December 15th 03, 02:28 PM
Dav1936531

From: "Gene Storey"
o8eDb.1882$6l1.1440@okepread03

CNN reports: "In the last analysis, he seemed not terribly brave,"

Rumsfeld said.

What's Saddam going to do? Use his pistol against anti-tank weapons
like his sons? He was never considered stupid. I'm beginning to think
Rumsfeld might be talking through his ass again.

I think Rumsfeld meant that Saddam could have/should have done a Hitler and
used his pistol to kill himself.....especially after Saddam's having made all
those glorious proclaimations to the Iraqi resistance to fight to the death.

Parading Saddam ALIVE in front of the video cameras after his capture sure
isn't doing "The Myth of Saddam: Earthly Reincarnation of Saladin and Grand
Unifier of the Greater Arabian Cause" any service. Not being captured alive,
however, may have at least created another martyr and rallying point for the
jihadis.

As it stands, Saddam was more interested in being arrested and negotiating a
deal for himself (reports from the arresting troops today said the first words
out of his mouth upon surrending mentioned trying to swap leniency for
information).

The problem with these dictator types is that they get so much blood on their
hands during this Earthly life that, when it comes time to face the transition
to the hereafter, they start to wonder about the real possibility of eternal
damnation.....and that possibility renders them cowards in the face of death.
Dave