Question about purchasing an airplane.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 22nd 04, 03:33 AM
Marco Rispoli

Default Question about purchasing an airplane.

I just got my license (you can find the story of my Presidential TFR
checkride here if your are curious:
http://www.thepilotlounge.com/script...?showtopic=665 )

I am starting to seriously look into owning a plane now.

I can't imagine myself renting anymore since prices are not that good,
renting is inconvenient and clubs are a better deal but they all have
minimum hours restrictions ...

One of the questions that has been mulling in my mind is this: suppose that
I find a plane. It's the model that I am looking for, good times, good
conditions (so the seller says) and good price. The plane is halfway across
the country though.

How do I go about getting it inspected? Do I call a local (to the plane)
mechanic and arrange a meeting between him, the seller and the plane? Do I
need to be there?

There's many steps to buying a plane. Title search, loan financing,
insurance, inspection and transfer of ownership.

When do I actually need to be there? If anybody ever purchased a plane from
far away, how did you handle it? Do you care to share the story?

Thank you!

--
Marco Rispoli - NJ, USA / PP-ASEL
My On-line pilot community - http://www.thepilotlounge.com