Lak-20

Old January 19th 07, 07:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Francisco De Almeida

Default Lak-20

The Lak-20 made its maiden flight a few days ago. Pics: =
http://www.lak.lt/index.php?nid=3D55.
Let's hope the old truism about good looks and flying qualities doesn't =
hold this time, as the newcomer is a bit on the gangly side.

Old January 19th 07, 07:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

Earlier, Francisco De Almeida wrote:
The Lak-20 made its maiden flight a few days ago. Pics: =
http://www.lak.lt/index.php?nid=3D55.
Let's hope the old truism about good looks and flying qualities doesn't =
hold this time, as the newcomer is a bit on the gangly side.

Cool, here's another link into the LAK web site:

http://www.lak.lt/3_.php?tid=t521&mid=t506

Francisco, will you be starting a Wiki article on the LAK-20? I for one
appreciate the work you've done on several of the soaring-related Wiki
topics.

Thanks, regards to all

Bob K.
http://www.hpaircraft.com

Old January 19th 07, 10:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Hanke

LAK has got to do something about the gear... it sure takes away from
the beautiful lines of the sailplane.

Old January 19th 07, 10:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Francisco De Almeida

Bob Kuykendal wrote:

Francisco, will you be starting a Wiki article on the LAK-20?

I'd rather someone with first-hand knowledge did it. I do plan to start =
articles for the LAK-12 and LAK-17a.

I for one appreciate the work you've done on several of the =

soaring-related Wiki topics

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I enjoy the Wikipedia and its =
intriguing assumption that people can be expected to do quite well =
without overview or "coordination". It's a pity EASA and such cannot be =
persuaded of this point of view...

Regards,

Old January 19th 07, 11:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
flying_monkey

I don't see anything wrong with it. I mean, give them a break. It's a
2-place. Hey, it could look like a PW-6. It just happened to be the
best engineering solution they could think of. When you think of
sailplane's looks, most people think of them with the gear retracted,
anyway.

This glider is officially on my list of gliders to lust after. I'll
put it ahead of the Duo Discus, and it will be fighting for a place
with the ASH-25. It'll probably win that one, on account of being
newer.

Ed

Old January 20th 07, 12:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill Daniels

"Tim Hanke" wrote in message
ups.com...
LAK has got to do something about the gear... it sure takes away from
the beautiful lines of the sailplane.

The problem with two seat sailplanes is that the main wheel in a tail
dragger configuration has to occupy the same location as the rear seat
occupants posterior. The options are to move the wheel dangerously aft so
the glider may tip onto the nose as it stops so a rarely used nosewheel is
needed (Duo Discus) or make the fuselage deeper to enclose the retracted
wheel. (Lark) or just go to a bicycle gear (Grob).

LAK has obviously met this challenge in their '20 by extending the wheel
forward as it lowers and moving it aft as it retracts. I'd say that's a
more elegant solution. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Bill Daniels

Old January 20th 07, 02:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

flying_monkey wrote:
I don't see anything wrong with it. I mean, give them a break. It's a
2-place. Hey, it could look like a PW-6. It just happened to be the
best engineering solution they could think of. When you think of
sailplane's looks, most people think of them with the gear retracted,
anyway.

This glider is officially on my list of gliders to lust after. I'll
put it ahead of the Duo Discus, and it will be fighting for a place
with the ASH-25. It'll probably win that one, on account of being
newer.

Ooo! Go for the ASH 30 - even newer than the LAK! And I love the landing
gear.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA
* "Transponders in Sailplanes" http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org
Old January 20th 07, 10:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark Dickson

They have done something.....it retracts.

Old January 20th 07, 03:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andreas Maurer[_1_]

On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 02:10:22 GMT, Eric Greenwell
wrote:

Ooo! Go for the ASH 30 - even newer than the LAK! And I love the landing
gear.

The design is certainly unique. Given the position of the main wheel,
I wonder what the load on the tailwheel is...

Bye
Andreas
Old January 21st 07, 03:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GK[_1_]

Mark Dickson wrote:
They have done something.....it retracts.

...and your biggest accomplishment is 2-33?!