Future of GA piston fuel?

Old February 16th 07, 06:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
xerj

Default Future of GA piston fuel?

If you had to do a bit of crystal ball gazing, what do you think the engines
of the GA fleet will be drinking in 10-15 years time?

The same avgas as today, just much more expensive?

Jet-A in diesel engines?

Something else?

Old February 16th 07, 06:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

If you had to do a bit of crystal ball gazing, what do you think the
engines
of the GA fleet will be drinking in 10-15 years time?

The same avgas as today, just much more expensive?

Jet-A in diesel engines?

Something else?

When the alternative fuel discussion, and the automotive fuel STC, first
gained popularity; I read that 100LL AvGas was about 96 octane without the
lead.

That would suggest an obvoius solution of 96 octane for most of the fleet,
and blend-at-the-pump (or from the truck) for those that actually make use
of the higher octane fuel. OTOH, that makes too much sense...

Peter

Old February 16th 07, 08:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

They are looking at a universal "gasoline" for cars and
aviation. Can be done fairly easily for new engines, but
retrofitting high compression, turbo-charged or other high
demand engines will cost a lot.
The government and private organizations are working on it.

Old February 16th 07, 03:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow[_3_]

"Peter Dohm" wrote in message
When the alternative fuel discussion, and the automotive fuel STC, first
gained popularity; I read that 100LL AvGas was about 96 octane without the
lead.

That would suggest an obvoius solution of 96 octane for most of the fleet,
and blend-at-the-pump (or from the truck) for those that actually make use
of the higher octane fuel. OTOH, that makes too much sense...

Not economically. Not with the EPA around.

Old February 16th 07, 03:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Feb 15, 11:35 pm, "xerj" wrote:
If you had to do a bit of crystal ball gazing, what do you think the engines
of the GA fleet will be drinking in 10-15 years time?

The same avgas as today, just much more expensive?

Jet-A in diesel engines?

This is the one that I am betting on...

Old February 16th 07, 11:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kyle Boatright

"Jim Macklin" wrote in message
They are looking at a universal "gasoline" for cars and
aviation. Can be done fairly easily for new engines, but
retrofitting high compression, turbo-charged or other high
demand engines will cost a lot.
The government and private organizations are working on it.

The introduction of alcohol into many/most autofuels is pretty much mucking
up any plan for a universal fuel...

KB

Old February 17th 07, 04:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Stupid idea by enviro-wacko, takes more energy to make
alcohol and it is now making tacos more expensive in Mexico,
fueling [pun intended] the Mexican invasion.

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message
. ..

| "Jim Macklin" wrote
in message
| They are looking at a universal "gasoline" for cars and
| aviation. Can be done fairly easily for new engines,
but
| retrofitting high compression, turbo-charged or other
high
| demand engines will cost a lot.
| The government and private organizations are working on
it.

| The introduction of alcohol into many/most autofuels is
pretty much mucking
| up any plan for a universal fuel...
|
| KB
|

| "xerj" wrote in message
| | If you had to do a bit of crystal ball gazing, what do
you
| think the engines
| | of the GA fleet will be drinking in 10-15 years time?
| |
| | The same avgas as today, just much more expensive?
| |
| | Jet-A in diesel engines?
| |
| | Something else?
| |
| |

Old February 17th 07, 12:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kyle Boatright

"Jim Macklin" wrote in message
Stupid idea by enviro-wacko, takes more energy to make
alcohol and it is now making tacos more expensive in Mexico,
fueling [pun intended] the Mexican invasion.

Yep, but unfortunately, all that's likely to result in is the US giving the
Mexican Government grants to hold down tortilla prices. Even worse, the
corrupt bureaucracy down there will abscond with the money and tortilla
prices won't come down. ;-)

Old February 17th 07, 03:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Owen[_4_]

Peter Dohm wrote:

If you had to do a bit of crystal ball gazing, what do you think the

engines
of the GA fleet will be drinking in 10-15 years time?

The same avgas as today, just much more expensive?

Jet-A in diesel engines?

Something else?

When the alternative fuel discussion, and the automotive fuel STC, first
gained popularity; I read that 100LL AvGas was about 96 octane without the
lead.

That would suggest an obvoius solution of 96 octane for most of the fleet,
and blend-at-the-pump (or from the truck) for those that actually make use
of the higher octane fuel. OTOH, that makes too much sense...

From what I understand, the TEL is just far too toxic to deal with when it
isn't dilluted by a lot of (also toxic) gasoline. It's challenging enough at
the oil company production tank farm level, I don't see how it would work at
the pump dispensing (or even regional terminal) level.

NASCAR is finally going lead free in the very near future, I expect piston
aircraft will as well. Even absent a government regulation banning lead fuel
in aircraft, the simple economics of the situation will make it more and more
untenable.

Diesel engines running with Jet A for high and low power applications and
piston engines burning lead free avgas (UL__ or whatever they want to call it)
for low applications will be the future.

Old February 17th 07, 08:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kyle Boatright

"Owen" wrote in message ...
Peter Dohm wrote:

If you had to do a bit of crystal ball gazing, what do you think the

engines
of the GA fleet will be drinking in 10-15 years time?

The same avgas as today, just much more expensive?

Jet-A in diesel engines?

Something else?

When the alternative fuel discussion, and the automotive fuel STC, first
gained popularity; I read that 100LL AvGas was about 96 octane without
the
lead.

That would suggest an obvoius solution of 96 octane for most of the
fleet,
and blend-at-the-pump (or from the truck) for those that actually make
use
of the higher octane fuel. OTOH, that makes too much sense...

From what I understand, the TEL is just far too toxic to deal with when it
isn't dilluted by a lot of (also toxic) gasoline. It's challenging enough
at
the oil company production tank farm level, I don't see how it would work
at
the pump dispensing (or even regional terminal) level.

Do you have a cite for the toxicity (sp?)... I know that there are tens of
thousands of people who dealt with 100 to 140 octane highly leaded gasolines
over the years and I don't see many old guys at the airport growing extra
ears or with problems that is/are/was/were seemingly caused by leaded fuel..

NASCAR is finally going lead free in the very near future, I expect
piston
aircraft will as well. Even absent a government regulation banning lead
fuel
in aircraft, the simple economics of the situation will make it more and
more
untenable.

I agree. Leaded fuel will eventually become so pricy that everyone who can
will move to unleaded fuel, and that'll drive a downward spiral forcing
100LL out of the market. I feel sorry for the folks flying aircraft with
highly stressed engines which really need the extra octane, 'cause they are
gonna be left out in the cold.

Fractional piston ownership - what say you? Nathan Young Owning 2 November 14th 06 07:23 PM
How to ACCURATELY measure fuel/gas in a single-engine piston aircraft? NoSpam Piloting 31 January 9th 04 01:45 AM
Piston engine 101 Course? [email protected] Owning 9 October 28th 03 02:35 PM
#1 Piston Fighter was British Kevin Brooks Military Aviation 170 August 26th 03 06:34 PM
#1 piston fighter? Peter Stickney Military Aviation 18 July 12th 03 12:16 AM