Howling sound when flying

Old October 13th 19, 10:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Howling sound when flying

Interesting - what is that Hank Nixon turtleback vent you mentioned?
Old October 13th 19, 02:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_2_]

Ventus-2c (and D2b) has an extremely loud cockpit. You cannot do much for it.” krsw

Your brain must have extremely loud tinnitus. I’ve own 4 SH, all quiet. No issues.
Moving on, with a positive contribution....we all agree any glass ship emitting noise will be due to airflow. Loud noise is from something acting like a ‘reed’ or horn instrument. 99% it is a reed and tape or gap seal is the noise producer. Couple this with the wing or fuselage being ‘bellows’, noise will amplify quite nicely.
I found a nuisance noise being created by gap tape at the right aileron pushrod connection. But only in neutral or left turns. Right turns had the connection
applying pressure on the tape keeping it from vibrating. The wing amplified the noise to sound like a gear warning horn. I doubled up on the tape and the noise stopped.
Something around the flaps becomes an instrument at zero to make a perfect E flat. A little experimentation with tape may prove telling.
Cheers.

Old October 13th 19, 03:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I was amazed how quiet it got after I filled the cockpit vent air tube with drinking straws. They straighten out the flow just before it enters the cockpit.
JJ
Old October 14th 19, 06:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

sunnuntai 13. lokakuuta 2019 16.40.31 UTC+3 kirjoitti:
Ventus-2c (and D2b) has an extremely loud cockpit. You cannot do much for it.” krsw

Your brain must have extremely loud tinnitus. I’ve own 4 SH, all quiet. No issues.

Sorry I did not catch the specific models you have owned, as that is pretty important detail missing here.

I've flown regularly over dozen SHs ranging from Std.Cirrus to Arcus, and while there are some that are dead quiet (Nimbus-4DM, surprisingly), V2C and D2B are not by design. You wouldn't believe the effort we have spend sealing the canopy, rear fuselage etc. You can get the noise to reasonable level, but quiet, no.
Old October 14th 19, 06:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GliderCZ

On Sunday, October 13, 2019 at 2:49:10 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Interesting - what is that Hank Nixon turtleback vent you mentioned?

I guess it's more properly referred to as a "cockpit air extractor." Basically a pathway for pressurized air in the cockpit to exit the aircraft through an aerodynamically neutral vent atop the fuselage just behind the canopy.. In Hank Nixon's version, it includes an interior attachment that funnels the air directly into that opening. I find it creates a much more comfortably ventilated cockpit and significantly reduces noise. Without it, the increased pressure from vent air in the aircraft tries to force its way through the canopy seal or rattles its way aft through the fuselage.

Sorry, I'm not able to attach photographs, but if you do a topic search for cockpit vent or "fart scoop," you may be able to find links (and more than a few opinions). Hank Nixon is a frequent visitor to this group, and he may be able to provide more info, also.

Mine was expertly installed by Yankee Composites at Sky Sailing, Warner Springs, CA. I'm very happy with the result.
Old October 14th 19, 06:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Opitz

kirjoitti:
Ventus-2c (and D2b) has an extremely loud cockpit. You cannot

do much
for=
it.=E2=80=9D krsw=20
=20
Your brain must have extremely loud tinnitus. I=E2=80=99ve

own 4 SH, all
=
quiet. No issues.

Sorry I did not catch the specific models you have owned, as that

is
pretty=
important detail missing here.

I've flown regularly over dozen SHs ranging from Std.Cirrus to

Arcus, and
w=
hile there are some that are dead quiet (Nimbus-4DM,

surprisingly), V2C
and=
D2B are not by design. You wouldn't believe the effort we have

spend
seali=
ng the canopy, rear fuselage etc. You can get the noise to

reasonable
level=
, but quiet, no.

I have had my D-2B for 20 years now since new, and I have never
had any issues with a noisy cockpit. Maybe I am going deaf in my
old age, but I may have had an advantage when the glider was built
for me because the S-H final assembly inspector who signed off on
all of the parts was my old drinking buddy from when I worked at
S-H for the summer after college. I have been part of their "family"
ever since, and I know that they have taken a little "extra care"
when it came to making a glider for me. I also had them install
their extra factory seals before it left the factory. The glider still
has
no spar waves after all of these years either....

RO

Old October 14th 19, 06:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_2_]

How much for the package?

Old October 14th 19, 07:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom BravoMike

On Sunday, October 13, 2019 at 9:59:59 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I was amazed how quiet it got after I filled the cockpit vent air tube with drinking straws. They straighten out the flow just before it enters the cockpit.
JJ

Interesting. I have to try it. So you just filled the entire cross-section of the vent tube with the straws? How long do they need to be to work?
Old October 14th 19, 07:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

On Monday, October 14, 2019 at 11:50:42 AM UTC-7, Tom BravoMike wrote:
On Sunday, October 13, 2019 at 9:59:59 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I was amazed how quiet it got after I filled the cockpit vent air tube with drinking straws. They straighten out the flow just before it enters the cockpit.
JJ

Interesting. I have to try it. So you just filled the entire cross-section of the vent tube with the straws? How long do they need to be to work?

Same technique as an automotive muffler/silencer/auspuff whatsit.
Jim
Old October 14th 19, 08:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, October 14, 2019 at 7:56:29 PM UTC+1, JS wrote:
On Monday, October 14, 2019 at 11:50:42 AM UTC-7, Tom BravoMike wrote:
On Sunday, October 13, 2019 at 9:59:59 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I was amazed how quiet it got after I filled the cockpit vent air tube with drinking straws. They straighten out the flow just before it enters the cockpit.
JJ

Interesting. I have to try it. So you just filled the entire cross-section of the vent tube with the straws? How long do they need to be to work?

Same technique as an automotive muffler/silencer/auspuff whatsit.
Jim

Easier than straws is to get a single kitchen pot scrubber (not as fine as wire wool) tease it out and put it in the vent opening.

Howling noise from nose vent toad Soaring 9 February 23rd 09 03:23 PM
What a sight...and what a sound Roger (K8RI) Piloting 15 July 4th 07 03:53 PM
What a sight...and sound. Roger (K8RI) Piloting 1 July 2nd 07 01:11 PM
What is this sound? gatt Piloting 14 June 9th 04 04:37 AM
F-86 and sound barrier VH Military Aviation 43 September 26th 03 02:53 AM