Howling sound when flying

Old October 14th 19, 08:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Howling sound when flying

I removed the side eyelid vent and then cut large drinking straws, in half and stacked them inside the channel, up stream. A tad of glue will keep them in place, I used Shoe-Goo. This method doesn’t cutdown on total air flow, just straighten’s it out.
JJ
Old October 14th 19, 10:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Opitz

At 17:49 14 October 2019, wrote:
How much for the package?

If you are asking about the S-H factory extra sealing package, my
receipt shows DM 435. Who knows what it is in Euros now.

RO

Old October 15th 19, 03:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom BravoMike

On Monday, October 14, 2019 at 2:51:26 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I removed the side eyelid vent and then cut large drinking straws, in half and stacked them inside the channel, up stream. A tad of glue will keep them in place, I used Shoe-Goo. This method doesn’t cutdown on total air flow, just straighten’s it out.
JJ

Thanks, guys, for sharing your methods. Somehow never thought or heard about them. The vent opening (with a closing flap) in my old Ventus B is in front of the canopy, and makes a lot of noise when opened. I hope your solutions will help, but it looks like I'll have to wait till spring with trying it out, now that the season seems to be over.
Old October 15th 19, 04:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On my ventus b I used a flap of cloth on the bottom hinge covering the hinge and back into the channel. Iirc, it was a fairly fuzzy on the up side and smooth on the glued down side. cut the noise in half.

CH
Old October 15th 19, 04:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
glidergeek

Don't fly with dogs.

Old October 20th 19, 09:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Armand Charbonneau

On Saturday, October 12, 2019 at 9:42:44 AM UTC-6, Armand Charbonneau wrote:
My Ventus 2c makes a howling sound when flying at 0 flap setting. It is significantly less noticeable immediately after changing the flap setting either positive or negative. Pilots tell me they can hear it when flying overhead or landing. I can hear it seemingly behind me, inside the cockpit. Gear up or down does not seem to make a difference.

The glider was refinished with poly in 2012, so I suspect the wing seals are seven years old. Otherwise the ship in very good condition and soars nicely.

Does anyone know what could be causing this sound? I can replace all the seals this winter, but they appear to be in good condition, except maybe on the tail plane.

Update: I put foam in the top of the tail to block wind from going out the horizontal stabilizer/elevator. The interior air flow is now channeled out the bottom of the tail where there are openings for the rudder cables. While the noise is not gone, it is significantly diminished especially at 0 flap settings. I plan to change all the seals this winter, ensure the canopy is not drafty, and try the straws in front vent method mentioned in this tread.
Old October 20th 19, 09:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hi Armand,

there usually is a rubber seal at the opening of the elevator pushrod. This should be available from the factory in case it is missing on your ship. We installed V-Tape to cover the canopy front and aft canopy gaps of our Ventus 2cM. This reduced cockpit noise significantly. You will have to heat it up a bit in order to make it fit to the curvature of the canopy frame.

I once had straws in the front vent of my LS8. It was quiet, but they significantly reduced the airflow through the vent. A piece of fur did the same job without hindering the airflow.

Best
Christoph
Old October 20th 19, 09:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Armand Charbonneau

On Sunday, October 20, 2019 at 2:22:57 PM UTC-6, wrote:
Hi Armand,

there usually is a rubber seal at the opening of the elevator pushrod. This should be available from the factory in case it is missing on your ship. We installed V-Tape to cover the canopy front and aft canopy gaps of our Ventus 2cM. This reduced cockpit noise significantly. You will have to heat it up a bit in order to make it fit to the curvature of the canopy frame.

I once had straws in the front vent of my LS8. It was quiet, but they significantly reduced the airflow through the vent. A piece of fur did the same job without hindering the airflow.

Best
Christoph

The rubber seal is in place and seemingly good condition. I will try the V-tape and fur suggestions. Thanks.

Howling noise from nose vent toad Soaring 9 February 23rd 09 03:23 PM
What a sight...and what a sound Roger (K8RI) Piloting 15 July 4th 07 03:53 PM
What a sight...and sound. Roger (K8RI) Piloting 1 July 2nd 07 01:11 PM
What is this sound? gatt Piloting 14 June 9th 04 04:37 AM
F-86 and sound barrier VH Military Aviation 43 September 26th 03 02:53 AM