Aircraft Financing

Old September 1st 05, 05:26 AM
George Patterson

Peter R. wrote:

No, I was referring to the accelerated depreciation that the Fed currently
allows. I wasn't even thinking about deducting the interest on the loans.

Then wouldn't he make even more if he bought the plane outright?

George Patterson
Old September 1st 05, 06:46 AM
Robert M. Gary

"At least one very wealthy person I know finances his aircraft because
owning an aircraft is a large tax deduction for him "

Only if you can consider it a business expense.

Old September 1st 05, 06:49 AM
Robert M. Gary

"Must be nice to have so much money one wouldn't have to finance"

Must be nice to have so much money one can afford to make the monthly
loan payments AND pay the maintenance and other costs to keep the
aircraft. My plane costs me $500/month just to sit on the ground (base
annual, insurance, property taxes, tie down, etc) . That doesn't even
include fixing anything that may break as a result of flying.

-Robert

Old September 1st 05, 06:49 AM
Robert M. Gary

You'd probably be better off refinancing your house and taking the cash
out.

Old September 1st 05, 12:47 PM
Jon Kraus

I don't know how anyone would have so much money to pay cash for a plane
that is worth very much. I'm not talking about a 20k 152 either. Our
"J" model Mooney was over 100k and my partner (a brain surgeon with a
lot more money than me) and I decided to finance 90% of our purchase. To
me the 6% interest on the financed money can be put to better use
elsewhere.

You have a partner in your "F" too, if I remember correctly?

Jon Kraus
'79 201
4443H @ TYQ

Old September 1st 05, 01:05 PM
Peter R.

George Patterson wrote:

Then wouldn't he make even more if he bought the plane outright?

Most likely, no. Given that the cost of money is around 6% give or take a
few tenths, someone with that much money will be better off investing the
cash and financing the aircraft.

Once the aircraft purchase is made, the Feds will then allow this
individual to take accelerated depreciation (largest the first year, and
then a bit smaller until the aircraft is fully depreciated five years
later) on the purchase price of the aircraft, not the equity (or lack
thereof).

There are caveats, of course, but the strategy above will probably be the
most financially advantageous for someone with the cash to be able to cover
the complete purchase price of an aircraft.

--
Peter

Old September 1st 05, 01:10 PM
Peter R.

"Robert M. Gary" wrote:

"At least one very wealthy person I know finances his aircraft because
owning an aircraft is a large tax deduction for him "

Only if you can consider it a business expense.

Someone with enough money to purchase a high performance aircraft for cash
would have tax accounting resources at his/her disposal to be able to
structure the purchase as a business purchase.

--
Peter

Old September 1st 05, 01:42 PM
Victor J. Osborne, Jr.

I've got plenty of resources but I have yet to find a legit way to call my
flying a business or create a business that I could use the pane for. I
wanted to do a rent a wreck at FBO's w/o a courtesy car but I can't find
insurance.

Victor J. (Jim) Osborne, Jr.

Old September 1st 05, 01:44 PM
Victor J. Osborne, Jr.

That's what I do. The money works better in the equities market & I don't
have to pay capital gains to take it out and use as a payment. Anyone who
says an aircraft appreciates in value enough to pay for the difference is
fooling themselves.

Victor J. (Jim) Osborne, Jr.

"Nathan Young" wrote in message
On 31 Aug 2005 15:31:59 -0700, "
wrote:

If you have access to a line of credit on your home, look into using
that - better rates and the interest will be tax deductible.

-Nathan