Experimentals and flight training

Old October 10th 05, 01:01 AM
Chris Wells Chris Wells is offline
Senior Member

Default Experimentals and flight training

I'm building a Hummelbird, and I was hoping to use it towards my private pilot's license, but I've heard that I can't use an experimental for flight training. I looked through my FARAIM '97 and I can't find anything to verify that. Has anything changed regarding this since then? Can someone point me to the relevant regulations?
Old October 10th 05, 06:40 AM
Bret Ludwig

Richard Riley wrote:
On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 01:01:32 +0100, Chris Wells
wrote:
:
:I'm building a Hummelbird, and I was hoping to use it towards my private
ilot's license, but I've heard that I can't use an experimental for
:flight training. I looked through my FARAIM '97 and I can't find
:anything to verify that. Has anything changed regarding this since
:then? Can someone point me to the relevant regulations?

You can use an experimental amateur built that you own for your own
flight training, but it's going to be hard to fit you and an
instructor in a Hummelbird.

Why does a person with no pilot's license build a homebuilt???????

Old October 10th 05, 07:50 AM

Bret Ludwig wrote:

Why does a person with no pilot's license build a homebuilt???????

Ask the Wright brothers :-)

-R.S.Hoover

Old October 10th 05, 08:03 AM
Morgans

"Bret Ludwig" wrote

Why does a person with no pilot's license build a homebuilt???????

To be able to afford getting a pilot's "certificate" perhaps. It is done
relatively frequently.
--
Jim in NC

Old October 10th 05, 11:37 AM
Chris Wells Chris Wells is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgans

Because I'm in training now, and even if I can't learn in the Hummelbird, I'lll still be able to fly it when I get my PP.

Wow, lotta nonsense on this board.
Old October 10th 05, 05:37 PM
Wayne Paul

Why does a person with no pilot's license build a homebuilt???????-

Maybe because he likes to build.

I have known several people who build airplanes, sale them and start on a
new project. For many building is their hobby.

There is an old saying: "If you want to build - then by all means build.
However, if you want to fly - then buy."

Respectfully,

Wayne
HP-14 N990 "6F"
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder

Old October 10th 05, 07:14 PM
OtisWinslow

Chris,

Mr Ludwig doesn't have much nice to say and spends his time with
smart ass replies and flame bait. I suspect he's not a pilot.

You'll find plenty of helpful replies from those who are REAL pilots
and builders.

"Chris Wells" wrote in message

Wow, lotta nonsense on this board.
Chris Wells

Old October 10th 05, 08:16 PM
Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

wrote:
:
:I'm building a Hummelbird, and I was hoping to use it towards my private
ilot's license, but I've heard that I can't use an experimental for
:flight training. I looked through my FARAIM '97 and I can't find
:anything to verify that. Has anything changed regarding this since
:then? Can someone point me to the relevant regulations?

You can use an experimental amateur built that you own for your own
flight training, but it's going to be hard to fit you and an
instructor in a Hummelbird.

Why does a person with no pilot's license build a homebuilt???????

Why do you feel the need to be rude? Did it ever occur to you he
might just want to do it? I'll never get my medical back, does this mean
I should stop building?

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old October 10th 05, 08:31 PM
W P Dixon

Bret Ludwig wrote:
Why does a person with no pilot's license build a homebuilt???????

Maybe,

For the same reason I started working on cars and rebuilding them
when I was to young to have a drivers license....ANTICIPATION!

Now going for my sport pilot cert after 20 years of working on other
peoples airplanes, don't have a cert yet! But by golly it sure is time I
work on MY plane instead of someone else's.

Be it a car, an airplane or a lawnmower for goodness sake if you have
the time and energy see what makes it tick ...and most important get your
children involved in it! Go build young man I say!!!!

Patrick
student SP
aircraft structural mech ( for personal purposes only now )