Cable vs rope pulling glider from field

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 14th 11, 03:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill D

Default Cable vs rope pulling glider from field

On Oct 13, 7:31*pm, Martin Gregorie
wrote:
On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 06:39:38 -0700, Auxvache wrote:
Thanks very much for your answers--sounds like Dyneema with a weak link
and Tost ring would be a good set-up.

Yes, I'd agree, but with one warning I should have mentioned: a naked
Dyneema cord is not a good idea because the slightest handling abrasion
tends to fluff it up into an unusable woolly caterpillar-like thing. I
discovered this when trying to use a thin woven Dyneema (80 lb) line to
control the VIT stop on a free flight power model - even expecting it to
handle a 90 degree bend by sliding round a 3mm brass tube was too rough
and caused it to fluff up and become unusable.

What I've found to be excellent is a core of unwoven Dyneema inside a
woven Dacron casing. I've used 100 lb kite bridle (about 0.7mm diameter)
as model glider towline. This was very easy to handle and almost totally
abrasion resistant. I believe you can get this type of line in up to at
least 3mm diameter.

--
martin@ * | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Martin, you must have had some really crappy rope mislabeled as
Dyneema . The 12 strand hollow braid we use has 15x the abrasion
resistance of steel. The off road 4x4 guys use it on their bumper
winches with it going over sharp rocks and trees. I've never seen the
problems you describe.