Question about MS Flight Sim 04

Old March 18th 05, 04:37 AM

Default Question about MS Flight Sim 04

I tried to fly the Cessna 152 with CH Yoke & Pedal. However, I have a
problem that I don't understand. Unlike the real airplane, this one
keeps go up and down for no reason even if I let go the yoke. The RPM
did the same thing, up and down. In the real airplane, I either go up
or down, depend on the position of the yoke & trim. So I wonder what is
wrong? Please comment.
Thank you.

Old March 18th 05, 01:48 PM
Murmur

ha scritto nel messaggio
ps.com...
I tried to fly the Cessna 152 with CH Yoke & Pedal. However, I have a
problem that I don't understand. Unlike the real airplane, this one
keeps go up and down for no reason even if I let go the yoke. The RPM
did the same thing, up and down. In the real airplane, I either go up
or down, depend on the position of the yoke & trim. So I wonder what is
wrong? Please comment.
Thank you.

Maybe the phenomenon you are experiencing is the so-called phugoid, that is
a series of oscillations in IAS and altitude when hands-off. It should be
experienced in real life too (please note I'm not a pilot, just an aerospace
engineer), maybe in FS04 it's more pronounced because the controls are more
sensitive, whereas in real life the airplane maybe is more stable and
probably there are continuous little corrections on the controls.

Old March 18th 05, 03:48 PM
Murmur

ha scritto nel messaggio
oups.com...
I guess it has something to do with calibration too. I used Flight One
Software (Cessna 152).

To check if that's the case, try disabling joystick in FS04 (I don't
remember what is the default key, it's listed in the controls assignment
menu). If oscillations are still present, it shouldn't be a calibration
issue.

Marco

Old March 18th 05, 05:21 PM
FatKat

I don't have fs2004 (yet) but have had enough experience with the older
versions to remember that there were needle-control indicators
reflecting control inputs. Do those move as well (reflecting crazy
controls) or are they as steady as your own inputs?

Old March 18th 05, 06:04 PM

I am not sure about "needle-control indicators". Can you tell me more
about it?

Old March 18th 05, 07:02 PM
FatKat

There should be two straight graphs instruments on the flight panel -
one vertical, the other being horizontal, and each representing the
range of positions of your rudder (the horizontal one) and the
elevators (I forget which, oh - the vertical one!! ) A needle on
each graph indicates the position of that control surface. If the
needles are jumping around like crazy even when you're not doing
anything, odds are that it's a problem with your controllers. Even so,
I'd be surprised if that were the case, since controller problems
shouldn't be restricted to a single program. Have you tried it on any
other programs? What happens in the XP Control Panel window for
controllers?

Old March 18th 05, 07:49 PM

Thanks. AS I expected, my Yoke needs to be recalibrated. I went to Game
Controllers in Control Panel and fixed the problem. It is good to go
now. Before, I can see the cross sign in Game Controllers jumping like
crazy.