A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

1-26E Aerobatics

Old October 1st 19, 11:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
external usenet poster

Default 1-26E Aerobatics

Correct....many airplane mfr's issued, "thou shall NOT do aerobatics in our planes" many years ago.....regardless of what the original cert or operating manual stated.
That whole, "poop happens, sue everybody" many Americans think they can sue peeps, so mfr's across the board sorta did the same thing, over ride whatever was issued decades ago and the aircraft are capable if maintained and done right...
If....

Granted, most SGS are decades old, most sit outside, no clue on maintenance.
The bulletins were issued more as a hurdle "in case of an incident" by the mfr's.....in my opinion....in case of a lawsuit.
Old October 3rd 19, 09:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default 1-26E Aerobatics

On Sunday, September 29, 2019 at 10:45:20 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Does anyone know if it is safe, assuming you are properly trained in aerobatics,
to perform loops, rolls and inverted flying in a 1-26E?
Glider is rated at +5.3 -3.3 Gs

Walt Mooney (1925-1990) used to fly a great aerobatic routine in his 1-26, including some fairly extended periods of inverted flight, loops, spins, and rolls. I saw him fly his routine one time at the El Mirage Soaring Center back in the 1970s, when they put on a demonstration glider aerobatic meet.. Also participating were Ross Briegleb, and Pat Philbreck, if I recall correctly. He flew his 1-26 aerobatics on a TV show in 1973-74 called "The Thrill Seekers" hosted by Chuck Conners "The Rifleman". Walt's 1-26 was an earlier round tail model, with the fabric covered nose and fabric on the wings aft of the spar. I think it may have been an "A" model. Walt was an M.I..T. educated aeronautical engineer, glider pilot, power pilot, instructor, and designated pilot examiner, who lived in San Diego and worked for Convair, as well as some other companies over the years. He was an avid airplane modeler, and is probably better remembered today for his prolific collection of "peanut scale" rubber powered free flight model airplane plans, which are still used by the now probably somewhat dwindling number of aficionados of this sport. However, I think some of his airplane plans are being converted to use electric power these days. I couldn't find any old video of The Thrillseekers show, but there's a picture of him and his 1-26 in each of these articles:
https://rclibrary.co.uk/files_titles...er_1973_07.pdf
http://www.cfiamerica.com/images/PDF...tober_1973.pdf
and a longer article about him in this link:
http://www.flyingacesclub.com/KAPA/ISSUE77.pdf
Old October 4th 19, 08:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BG[_4_]
external usenet poster

Default 1-26E Aerobatics

Does anyone know if it is safe, assuming you are properly trained in aerobatics,

As already mentioned the 1-26 was rated aerobatics and later that was probably removed for liability reasons. I could be wrong, but I have never heard of a catastrophic failure in flight. Some severely damage but it still flew. Many years back in the SSA archive is a picture of a 1-26A with fabric top section on the main wing was gone after some high G loops were preformed. Front section of the wing has a aluminum skin and that was all that was need for the plane to still fly. Pilot landed OK. There was a severely buckled spare near the root of a 1-36 after some one did the high speed barograph notch off tow. Plane remained flyable.

There might be better planes for aerobatics, but none as fun as a 1-26 with a sport canopy to get your blood flowing. There use to be one at Dillingham in Hawaii.

Soaring_June_1983.pdf page 22 1-36 spar bent

George Powell's "Wild Ride in a 1-26" page 8 Soaring_July_1991.pdf 1-26 lost fabric

BG

Old October 6th 19, 04:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley
external usenet poster

Default 1-26E Aerobatics

On Friday, October 4, 2019 at 1:10:41 PM UTC-6, BG wrote:

As already mentioned the 1-26 was rated aerobatics and later that was probably removed for liability reasons. I could be wrong, but I have never heard of a catastrophic failure in flight. Some severely damage but it still flew. Many years back in the SSA archive is a picture of a 1-26A with fabric top section on the main wing was gone after some high G loops were preformed. Front section of the wing has a aluminum skin and that was all that was need for the plane to still fly. Pilot landed OK. There was a severely buckled spare near the root of a 1-36 after some one did the high speed barograph notch off tow. Plane remained flyable.

There might be better planes for aerobatics, but none as fun as a 1-26 with a sport canopy to get your blood flowing. There use to be one at Dillingham in Hawaii.

Soaring_June_1983.pdf page 22 1-36 spar bent

George Powell's "Wild Ride in a 1-26" page 8 Soaring_July_1991.pdf 1-26 lost fabric

BG

The wing of a 1-26B departed in 'turbulence' in Florida. The remaining glider slipped into some trees and the pilot survived. A 1-36 (yeah, not a 1-26 but was included in the same SB IIRC) in Boulder was, against the instructions of the FBO owner, being looped by a rental pilot (sans parachute) and the wings folded up. Fatal. The widow attempted to sue the owner of the operation and his estate, after he passed away suddenly. If the SB protected Schweizer, it didn't do much to protect the operator. IIRC, the lawsuit was based on the absence of a specific placard against aerobatics.

Frank Whiteley
Old October 6th 19, 10:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default 1-26E Aerobatics

On Tuesday, October 1, 2019 at 6:12:27 PM UTC-4, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
Correct....many airplane mfr's issued, "thou shall NOT do aerobatics in our planes" many years ago.....regardless of what the original cert or operating manual stated.
That whole, "poop happens, sue everybody" many Americans think they can sue peeps, so mfr's across the board sorta did the same thing, over ride whatever was issued decades ago and the aircraft are capable if maintained and done right...
If....

Granted, most SGS are decades old, most sit outside, no clue on maintenance.
The bulletins were issued more as a hurdle "in case of an incident" by the mfr's.....in my opinion....in case of a lawsuit.

I suppose it has something to do with my aging brain, but when I saw
the term "mfr" I mentally pronounced it em-eff-ars, and the first
word that came to mind wasn't "manufacturers". Then again, it's not
a bad fit in the context. Maybe I've been spending too much time
around Bobby Templin.

Jim Beckman