ASW 27 destroyed by lightning in trailer

Old September 29th 19, 03:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]

Default ASW 27 destroyed by lightning in trailer

Even If it were throughly inspected and repaired I wouldn't buy that glider.
NFW
Just saying

Old September 29th 19, 06:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

On Sunday, September 29, 2019 at 7:40:23 AM UTC-7, Nick Kennedy wrote:
Even If it were throughly inspected and repaired I wouldn't buy that glider.
NFW
Just saying

I've seen many gliders fly after being totalled. Flown a lovely one that had been on fire.
My bet is that this glider will fly again.
Where are wagers placed?
Jim

Old September 30th 19, 02:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Williams

On Sunday, September 29, 2019 at 12:44:34 PM UTC-5, JS wrote:
On Sunday, September 29, 2019 at 7:40:23 AM UTC-7, Nick Kennedy wrote:
Even If it were throughly inspected and repaired I wouldn't buy that glider.
NFW
Just saying

I've seen many gliders fly after being totalled. Flown a lovely one that had been on fire.
My bet is that this glider will fly again.
Where are wagers placed?
Jim

I will bet a steak dinner for two, but my criterion for losing would be a fully documented repair of the existing airframe in compliance with factory repair procedures and full F.A.A. documentation and the name and address of the Inspector.
Steak dinner bet expires in 12 months.

But I admit I wish we lived in a world that would allow this bird to return to service.
P.S. Argentina does not count.
Scott
Old September 30th 19, 02:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Saturday, September 28, 2019 at 5:17:49 PM UTC-7, Gary Wayland wrote:
On Saturday, September 28, 2019 at 7:48:57 PM UTC-4, Eric Greenwell wrote:
2G wrote on 9/28/2019 3:30 PM:
Lightning rods aren't used to conduct the current of a strike, but to dissipate the high electric field created before the strike, which prevents the strike from occurring (this is why you don't see large gauge wire going to the rod).

I've read and heard several times that lightning rod systems can and do conduct a
lightning strike to ground. For example:

"A lightning rod is very simple -- it's a pointed metal rod attached to the roof
of a building. The rod might be an inch (2 cm) in diameter. It connects to a huge
piece of copper or aluminum wire that's also an inch or so in diameter. The wire
is connected to a conductive grid buried in the ground nearby."

https://science.howstuffworks.com/na...lightning7.htm

I'm sure some of them also work as you described, and that the system design
depends on the what's being protected and where it's situated.

Trying to control lightning is like herding cats. You get it right every now and then...

After fifty years, they mostly gave up driving ground rods for light poles. They realized they are one big waste of time and money. They serve no purpose as to there original intent. Some thought it was to protect from lightning, some to protect humans.

We are installing new lightning protection on a 14 story building. Cost the owner about 100K. Who knows if it makes a difference or not. But, we all feel better knowing it's UL listed and approved! Hopefully, lighting will find those two 37 strand aluminum downlead wires to its liking...

UL only requires a 1/4 inch down conductor - now, how much current is that going to conduct. Well the answer is something in the neighborhood of 100A. The reason is that the induction of that conductor (yes, straight wires have inductance) will limit the current to that range. You have to ask yourself, that isn't much energy, where does all the rest go? To other potential conductors, is the answer.
Old October 1st 19, 01:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, September 29, 2019 at 1:44:34 PM UTC-4, JS wrote:
On Sunday, September 29, 2019 at 7:40:23 AM UTC-7, Nick Kennedy wrote:
Even If it were throughly inspected and repaired I wouldn't buy that glider.
NFW
Just saying

I've seen many gliders fly after being totalled. Flown a lovely one that had been on fire.
My bet is that this glider will fly again.
Where are wagers placed?
Jim

It will depend upon who may choose to accept the long term risk.
It is very reasonable to expect that a thorough inspection can determine the path the energy followed. Most likely it went to the elevator control circuit which is easy to trace. Witness marks on the trailer will be important and useful. Replacement of the vertical tail and aft fuselage would be the most straight forward repair. That section is about 9,000 Euros plus shipping.
The major issues for someone repairing this a
1) Repair and refinishing cost; Value of these after completion would be on the order of $40,000 or so.
2) Next buyer will want at low price reflecting reluctance of future buyers.. Accordingly the margins won't be great.
3) Any future accident could lead to look back to history. Creative lawyer could have a field day with this given the Schleicher letter.
4) If someone qualified to inspect and repair the ship did it for himself, and kept it, they could do well.
I have brought a lot of "totalled" gliders back from the dead over the years. # 26 is in my shop now. Each has had an analysis of risk and reward before proceeding. Mostly this is "how hard and long, and what will we get for it?". That can be figured out. Rolling in the unknown forward liability risk is another matter.
Without the letter, it likely would be different. Ironically I have the fuselage and tail section needed, but it just got committed to another project..
My bet is that it will fly. I hope so. It's the only glider I know of with a lake dunking and a lightening hit.
UH
Old October 1st 19, 03:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Tuesday, October 1, 2019 at 7:50:59 AM UTC-5, wrote:

My bet is that it will fly. I hope so. It's the only glider I know of with a lake dunking and a lightening hit.
UH

There is a no longer flying Discus A that took a lightning hit in flight, but met its final demise in a canyon near Bridgeport, California.

But, I agree, Admiral Nixon. That is a special 27. I hope it gets back in the air, too.

Steve Leonard
Old October 3rd 19, 02:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, September 25, 2019 at 8:40:06 PM UTC+3, Scott Williams wrote:
One unpredictable consequence of a fiberglass topped Cobra!
https://www-265.aig.com/AviationSalv...SalvageId=2911

I'm surprised no one is suggesting upgrading an ASW-20 (or other type) by replacing the wings ;-)
Old October 4th 19, 03:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Thursday, October 3, 2019 at 9:49:04 AM UTC-4, wrote:

I'm surprised no one is suggesting upgrading an ASW-20 (or other type) by replacing the wings ;-)

Those conversations are not for the general public. ;-)

Steve Leonard
Old October 4th 19, 03:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Due to much smaller root of a 27, lots of work to mate 27 wings to a 20..,,.,
Old October 4th 19, 03:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]

A sharp Sawzall, a couple of gallons of Bondo and a pot of coffee should make short work of that 27 wings to 20 fuselage conversion.
What could possibly go wrong,? Same manufacture.