Mountain High Cannula/Mask?

Old October 14th 19, 03:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
danlj

Default Mountain High Cannula/Mask?

On Wednesday, October 2, 2019 at 6:17:16 AM UTC-5, Tango Eight wrote:
On Tuesday, October 1, 2019 at 3:44:11 PM UTC-4, RR wrote:

The legalitys are not so clear [...]

FAR 23.1447 spells it out (for certificated aircraft). Above 18K the requirement is for a mask that covers nose and mouth.

The fact that some people can get away with a cannula at 26K (once) does not mean that this is a sound practice. We've had two hypoxia incidents (that I know of) at Mt Washington due to pilots emulating certain old timers. Physiology varies. Physical fitness doesn't seem to be a factor (in fact casual observation suggests the reverse :-)).

T8

Yes, this applies to required aircraft equipment, not pilot use under part 91.
BUT -- everyone is different.
There was a study done with *young, fit* pilots showing that the Mtn High canula *could* keep O2 sats above 90% to FL035.
But the older and un-fitter we get, and bearing in mind the large individual differences,
The only safe thing, if you're flying above FL012, is to spend $180 or whatever and buy a good wris****ch-style oximeter and take the reading from a warm finger -- and *verify* that your oxygen supply is at least getting to your finger.
And remember, the normal, physiological hyperventilation of low pressure altitudes can decrease brain perfusion by about 20% while finger perfusion remains normal.
Bottom line: if you feel stupid, you are stupid, and it's time to descend no matter what the oxygen system is doing and no matter what the oximeter says. Been there.
DrDan
Old October 14th 19, 06:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

Dr Dan, Great article on Oxygen hazards, but pages 22 & 23 are missing (possibly a full page ad in there). I have a feeling there's something we should know in the missing page(s).

Mountain High O2 [email protected] Soaring 2 April 26th 22 10:27 AM
FS: Aerox Regulator, Cannula and Mask George Haeh Soaring 14 April 8th 16 07:13 AM
FS - Mountain High EDS O2-D1 [email protected] Soaring 0 March 27th 16 12:14 AM
Cannula vs Mask (FAR) Stefan Piloting 9 October 31st 07 12:06 PM
Mountain High Rod Soaring 3 October 8th 03 08:41 PM