A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Eunice Newgard

Old October 8th 19, 06:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MN50
external usenet poster

Default Eunice Newgard

Eunice Newgard (EP ground) passed away last week. She was 84 years old.

Eunice was very busy with soaring in the San Francisco Bay Area, Northern California and Nevada during the 60's, 70's and 80's. She soloed gliders at Sky Sailing (Fremont) in the mid-60's, got her silver badge after a flight from Glider Valley Dry Lake (now White Lake) north of Stead-Reno to Minden in 1967 in the Cherokee II that Pete had built. Chased Pete all around California and Nevada. Crewed for Pete at Regionals held in California and Nevada and at Nationals at Minden, Marfa, Liberal, Hutchinson, Bryan, Hobbs, Uvalde, Ephrata and El Mirage. Printed, collated and mailed West Wind during PASCO's first years and was a PASCO board member. Buyer and assembler for RICO variometers and Leak Detectors. Raised 3 sons, Mike, Bob and David.

In 1991, Pete retired and they moved up to Yelm, Washington. Pete built a Kitfox and they flew around Washington and Oregon, down to California and Nevada and up to Fairbanks, Alaska. They also traveled to Europe, Central America, Canada and Mexico.

Her memorial service will be at the New Life Christian Center in Yelm, Washington this Saturday (October 12th) at 4pm.

Mike Newgard
Old October 8th 19, 08:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall
external usenet poster

Default Eunice Newgard

Eunice was one of the "Den mothers" on the Region 11 soaring scene for many years. At any contest or camp where Pete was flying, she was always there to give retrieve advice or lend a tool or a hand. I've missed her since Pete and she moved away from the Bay area, and I'll miss her more now.

--Bob K.
Old October 8th 19, 11:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
James Hamilton[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Eunice Newgard

At 19:19 08 October 2019, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
Eunice was one of the "Den mothers" on the Region 11 soaring scene for
many=
years. At any contest or camp where Pete was flying, she was always

there
=
to give retrieve advice or lend a tool or a hand. I've missed her since
Pet=
e and she moved away from the Bay area, and I'll miss her more now.

--Bob K.

Eunice and Norma Burnette (another of the "Den Mothers" who also passed a
few years ago) looked after me, fed me and helped keep me out of trouble at
many contests during the 70's, 80's and early 90's. She will be greatly
missed.

James "Jimmy" Hamilton

Old October 9th 19, 06:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Eunice Newgard

Mike, please accept my condolences on the passing of your Mom. I remember meeting her at Montague in ~2002 when she and your Dad flew down in the Kitfox to visit a Nationals- their chihuahua rode in the pint size baggage shelf. What a journey!
My thoughts to you & family, Linda C
Old October 9th 19, 04:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
gkemp
external usenet poster

Default Eunice Newgard

On Tuesday, October 8, 2019 at 10:29:01 AM UTC-7, MN50 wrote:
Eunice Newgard (EP ground) passed away last week. She was 84 years old.

Eunice was very busy with soaring in the San Francisco Bay Area, Northern California and Nevada during the 60's, 70's and 80's. She soloed gliders at Sky Sailing (Fremont) in the mid-60's, got her silver badge after a flight from Glider Valley Dry Lake (now White Lake) north of Stead-Reno to Minden in 1967 in the Cherokee II that Pete had built. Chased Pete all around California and Nevada. Crewed for Pete at Regionals held in California and Nevada and at Nationals at Minden, Marfa, Liberal, Hutchinson, Bryan, Hobbs, Uvalde, Ephrata and El Mirage. Printed, collated and mailed West Wind during PASCO's first years and was a PASCO board member. Buyer and assembler for RICO variometers and Leak Detectors. Raised 3 sons, Mike, Bob and David.

In 1991, Pete retired and they moved up to Yelm, Washington. Pete built a Kitfox and they flew around Washington and Oregon, down to California and Nevada and up to Fairbanks, Alaska. They also traveled to Europe, Central America, Canada and Mexico.

Her memorial service will be at the New Life Christian Center in Yelm, Washington this Saturday (October 12th) at 4pm.

Mike Newgard

Mike: My condolences to you and your family, Nancy an I treasure the experiences we had with the Newgards over the years.

Gary Kemp
Old October 12th 19, 04:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Eunice Newgard

Eunice was always there to show newbies how and what a good crew needed to do, back when crews were considered essential. Her husband, Pete Newgard’s call sign was Echo Poppa and many of us called Eunice, Echo Mama!
She lived a good life and her passing left many of us saddened.
Pat & JJ Sinclair
Old October 12th 19, 05:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Robert Seccombe SE3
external usenet poster

Default Eunice Newgard

Mike, my sincerest condolences.
Old October 14th 19, 09:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
CindyB[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Eunice Newgard

Eunice "mommed" me at Minden Wave Camp when I showed up to help and learn. Gave me extra blankets for my tent, washed my hair in her big salad bowl of warm water on the ramp, knit me one of her beanie caps, which I still treasure.
She and Norma dropped my jaw regularly with strings of wild "there we went" stories. And their hearts were as wide as the West.

I still bury Mike in huge sister hugs, whenever we cross paths.

She's smiling and making things better further on down our path. Love to you, Mike.
Old October 14th 19, 01:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Eunice Newgard

If I recall properly (Mike you can confirm) I remember seeing you guys camped out at Minden. I think your dad was flying a libelle at that time. You guys had a pop up tent that was mounted on top of your crew car. You kids were all real young. I would talk to your mom and dad as they cooked breakfast on their tailgate. I remember wondering how you all fit in that thing every night lol.

Those were good times. We provided the c180 doing the towing out there before soar minden or pasco became active at Minden. It was Marcel Goudinat (libelle) Carl Herald (asw12), Walt Cannon (libelle) and at times JJ . That was about it. Later-on Minden became a whole lot more popular when pasco started up the wave camp.